WiiDoom 0.4.5 Released

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by OArikadoO, Aug 29, 2010.

Aug 29, 2010

WiiDoom 0.4.5 Released by OArikadoO at 9:07 PM (4,257 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. OArikadoO
    OP

Member OArikadoO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've released a new version of WiiDoom: WiiDoom 0.4.5. https://code.google.com/p/wiidoom/

Here's what's new:
    * Full SDHC Support
    * Full USB Support
    * Classic Controller Support
    * Gamecube Controller Support
    * Changed /prboom/ to /apps/wiidoom/data/
    * Various bugfixes and tweaks

If you're kind enough to do so, you can donate here: http://arikado.chipin.com/college-fund

2. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    It's compatible with pwads, and mods? =)

3. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Thanks for the new version! I tried to compile the source, but when I start it I get a code dump [​IMG] I will try it later again.

4. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    OriginalHamster: Should be. Just place PWADS in the new directory: /apps/wiidoom/data/pwads/ . Not sure what you mean by mods though.

FIX94:
    I changed all of the directory settings so you will have to reconfigure your sd card or usb device if you still have /prboom/ in the root of your device.

5. FIX94

Germany
    Thanks, it works now with changed paths [​IMG] My classic controller doesn't work! It's a 3rd party one, but I compiled it with the libogc mod to fix it, I can only use the digital stick, the analog sticks doesn't work. The analog sticks on my gamecube controller are working fine!

6. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Just awesome, big thanks for your hard work [​IMG]

7. OriginalHamster

Chile
    could you upload your build? =P
    my nunchuk don't work properly.
    My nunchuk ID is: 0xa4200000, I think this ID is already included in the fix. =)

8. FIX94

Germany
    Added to My Wii Emulator Uploads [​IMG] Remember to move everything from prboom to apps/WiiDoom/data, otherwise you will get a codedump like me. It would be also nice if someone could test it with a original or a 3rd party classic controller to see if it works.

9. StupidGamer1

Member StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There is no stopping OarikadoO! Thanks again for you're hard coding work on wii! *goes to download*

10. OriginalHamster

Chile
    Tested, it works like a charm with both my Nintendo's official nunchuk and classic controller pro [​IMG]
    Thank you very much =)

11. StupidGamer1

United States
    Ok, So I finally was able to try this awesome build and in the way that it runs this beats the original DOS version hands down. Silky smooth framerate and flawless control. However, I do have a gripe which I don't want myself to be a complain so I'll say it in a form of a question to OarikadoO.

How come there is no music playback? One thing I always enjoyed about doom,heretic and Hexen were their soundtracks. For they are quite moody and set the tone for the gameplay at hand. Will Music playback be in a future version of the game? I hope I am not coming off as "bitchy" Never do I like to complain but I miss my "tunes" whilst playing these classics that you've generously given to the wii community. Thanks again!

12. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The wii doesn't have a hardware FM synthesizer like the old adlib and soundblaster cards from around Doom's time. Programs like DOSBox and ScummVM use software to emulate the OPL2/OPL3 chip.

13. StupidGamer1

United States
    I remember the Dreamcast port of doom had music and it doesn't have a FM synthesizer either. NXdoom I believe it was called and the coder was "Black Aura" I am sure the wii could "emulate" the music just like NXdoom. Can't see why it couldn't. However I'm no coder so wtf do I know?

14. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    _47iscool likes this.
  15. StupidGamer1

United States
    That would be wondrous! Doom runs great on the wii,just the "No" music (call me a snob [​IMG] ) takes away from the experience. My friends and I used would try to make our own remixes and try to put them IN GAME (LOL) Good times there. Well if you can get the music in there I would consider you "God of wii coding". [​IMG]. Great port though, In terms of gameplay it's truly better then the dos port!

I'd use dosbox but I don't have a usb keyboard and my ps/2 to usb adapters don't seem to work on the wii (obviously).

16. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If it's running under SDL, the hard work is already done thanks to timidity. Just hack the mixer to read from a memory buffer instead of a file to fix the external file requirement.

tstwitter likes this.
  17. FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer FullMetalEnginee Member

Canada
    Hi Arakado, please port Duke Nukem 3D to the Wii if it's possible..
    There are SDL versions of it out there I think.

18. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    It's possible but DukeNukem is built using the build engine. All of the work I've done with shooters thus far has been via the Doom engine. Theres a few more things I'd like to port that use the Doom engine before I look at the build engine.

19. OriginalHamster

Chile
    There´s any way to show character face and key pieces on screen?

Also PWADs compatibility is kinda broken, it seems it´s a problem with prboom itself.

20. OArikadoO
    OP

United States
    "There´s any way to show character face and key pieces on screen?"
    Similar problem to why we can't play music. Theres tons of info about it here: http://code.google.com/p/wiidoom/issues/detail?id=18

"Also PWADs compatibility is kinda broken, it seems it´s a problem with prboom itself. "
    Tried a bunch of them and didnt have any problems. Theres an interesting suggestion here that may solve your problem (the bug detailed here will be fixed as soon as I get some free time) http://code.google.com/p/wiidoom/issues/detail?id=61