Gaming wii update?????? on pal?

IceMatrix8

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
for those who can do it....the only solution until the next one...is to change the main board and you will be ok... this is what i did and i m fine now...
the other solution is to remove the chip and send it to service....but my guess is that they re not idiots...so eventually you will be charged for the fix...

Jannibal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bricked Wii: NO
Wiiconnect active: YES
Opera browser final downloaded: YES
Firmware version: 2.2E
Screensaver activated: ?
Language on system: English

I just took my SPM and put it in the console and clicked the OK to update and it said it did and that it was successfull. Then it rebooted my Wii. After that I just could start SPM as usual, no fuss, no hitches, no nothing. And you do not have to update more than once, it just asked for it the first time.

Hope it helps for those that stillare in doubt.

ev0lusi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wii - PAL with WiiKey
wiiconnect 24 : yes
Opera browser final : yes
Language system: english

Some info from my experience, I update my wii to 2.2E before i put SPM into my drive (recommended as others said). When i put it in, it automatically ask to update; so for those of you who wants to know if we could skip that, the answer is most likely no! the choice is only "OK"

anyway.. i did that then my wii restarts and it works superbly and play the game without any problem. hope that helps clarify

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone who's saying "It just checks and when it sees you have the most recent version it reboots and doesn't do anything", that's not possible. If it's not doing anything, why would the game play after the update? Shouldn't you get the updating screen again, since nothing was changed?

I mean, it's probably nothing major and most likely won't screw up future firmware releases, but it certainly does *something*. The question is: What?

JonoBG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe it does just check and if the firmware is up to date it writes that its passed to the super paper mario save file? One way to test this would be for someone to delete their super paper mario save and see if it asks them again. I havnt installed my wiikey yet so i can't do this.

anubisrocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe it does just check and if the firmware is up to date it writes that its passed to the super paper mario save file? One way to test this would be for someone to delete their super paper mario save and see if it asks them again. I havnt installed my wiikey yet so i can't do this.

Yeah as the poster said save file isnt created until after u run the game...

I wonder what happens if u format ur Wii and then run the game after it, will it have to update it again or is it a permanent update like the system updates...
wink2.gif

[-BiG_W-]

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chip installed: Wiikey
Screensaver activated: Yes

SPM and everything works absolutely fine for me

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but, here goes...

Wii PAL - f00ked
Online - NO
OPERA installed - Again, no
Update Version - Don't know. The only update I've done was from the SSX Blur disc.

Any breaking news on if anything can be done to restore the machine? My wife only bought it me a fortnight ago today, and man is she pissed offÂ
frown.gif

Silly question, but if I set up a wireless network in the house is it at all possible that the machine will pick up the signal and 'mend' itself?

No, this won't work, you'll have to set up the connection, but you could try with the USB LAN and a cable

soothers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricked Wii: YES!!! HELP!!!!
Wii version: Australia PAL
Wiiconnect active: NO
Opera browser downloaded: NO
Firmware version: ??
Screensaver activated: NO

madnutcase

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The LAN Adapter does not resolve the problems if the Wii is bricked. Tried that myself. I ended up getting a New Wii as it may take a while to fix a bricked Wii. The only solution I think is if the firmware or bios can be reflashed.

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
no it wont
you'll have to buy a new wii or send it in to nintendo and tell them you've opened it
for sure they'll see the soldering pionts on the drive so you'll have to pay for your mistake
like i'll do
i've send in my wii to nintendo germany

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to add to the list:

Opera browser final downloaded: NO (at time of SPM update and play)
Firmware version: 2.1E (updated to 2.2E the day after the SPM update)
Screensaver activated: YES (if you mean the dimming thing)
Mod Chip: WiiFree 2.39 (at the time)
Console DVD chip: DMS

Anyway, I acquired SPM shortly after release and whacked it in my 2.1E Wii. The disc wouldn't show in the disc channel but when the disc channel was selected it asked to perform an update. The update completed and the Wii reboots with SPM showing in the disc channel.
SPM plays fine and my Wii has since been updated to 2.2E with the Opera browser downloaded and running.

Sorry to hear from all the others with borked Wii consoles. Good luck with getting it fixed.

**update for KuaJmC**
Console had region free chip in place but I was using a PAL patched copy of SPM at the time.

To further investigate (and so I don't have to re-read the thread) has anyone with a 2.1E or 2.2E PAL Wii tried the SPM update whilst not being connected to WiiConnect24?
Would be nice to have a confirmation that up to date Wii consoles are still susceptible to bricking.

KuaJmC

Trophies
XP
Country
Here are some of my thoughts on this problem:
1. SPM updates offline Wii's with the firmware patch in the ISO. The US ISO firmware has different internal addresses for the start up screen: PAL Wiis at the start up will search for the EU address but the patched Wiis have internal US locations of the files!

2. I seems to me that SPM deals with this differently when it comes to online Wiis: It sends the Wii to the EU update server. This will update the Wiis with the EU firmware while sending back a receipt back that the Wii is updated. Can somebody test this by deleting the SPM options file and post back if it prompts for an update?

3. ISO release. Seems to me that people who have patched it to be regionfree not having problems. Can anyone confirm this?

3. It could be incompatibility concerning different Wii models (d2b, etc..)

The questionaire should therefore contain additional factors:
- Wii hardware version:
- ISO release:
- ISO region-free patched:

Alien0036

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually I think the real problem is not "online wii" and "offline wii"

(I cant be 100% sure but:)
After the update for the everybody votes channel there was a screen saying we could change the "Screen burn-in" in the options (as someone in this forum already said)
This screen only shows ONCE!

If we already saw the screen, we can update.
If we never saw it we cant update coz the html is not in this update (or not in the correct place for PAL wiis).

That is my theory
tongue.gif

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Another one for the list....

Screensaver activated: YES
Mod Chip: Wiinja V2
Console DVD chip: DMS

Phew!
biggrin.gif

Absurd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"3. ISO release. Seems to me that people who have patched it to be regionfree not having problems. Can anyone confirm this?"

I patched mine from NTSC to PAL but it still fried the machine, so I think this theory can be discounted.

Fortunately, I'm in a position where I can just go out and buy another unit and put this down to experience, however there are many, many people out there who can't. The sad thing is, before long it's going to be compulsory to have any console, not just the Wii, connected to the internet at all times, occurences like this are going to be commonplace, not just with import software but with localised code too and not everyone has internet access, so Ninty had better make sure they've got a healthy stock of machines to keep exchanging in the future. But that in itself brings problems too...

How many times have you gone out and spent your hard-earned on a music cd, a DVD or a game and found out it's scratched to buggery fresh out of the case? You get your shiny new Wii game home, take off the celophane and pop it in the drive, the last thing you do is scrutinise it for marks or flaws or scratches. It asks for update, which you HAVE to do and halfway through the stream there's a lock up. Again, like in this instance, you've got a borked console. Not a problem yet I know, but what when it happens 3 weeks after your guarantee has run out...

I'd like to know other peoples views on this eventuality.

apignarb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nederlaget.no
XP
Country
Norway
It asks for update, which you HAVE to do and halfway through the stream there's a lock up. Again, like in this instance, you've got a borked console. Not a problem yet I know, but what when it happens 3 weeks after your guarantee has run out...

Well, since there has been no reports of anything like that, there might even be safeguards in place to prevent things like that. Like "oops, we couldn't update, reverting to previous thingie" or whatnot. We'll have to wait and see!

lee5581

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to let you know been speaking to a repair service for wiis

They are working on a solution right now so dont panic just yet.

They are working at the firmware to see if they can flash it or something like that, not sure how much they will charge have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed keep post updated
biggrin.gif

brnld

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been following this thread. Here is my contribution. The actual update took less than 30 seconds.

Screensaver activated: NO
Mod Chip: WiiKey
Console DVD chip: No clue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users