djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
Nintendo has rolled out a small update for the Nintendo Wii. The update mostly involves cosmetic changes along with more preparation for the DSi’s release.
NeoGAF member Cheesemeister was kind enough to post a translation of the update’s changelog. Check it out below.

Wii Points will soon be called Nintendo Points, and all references as such will be updated. All other functionality with Nintendo Points will remain the same.
The controller usage explanation screen will be updated.
The controller usage explanation screen will be separated from the purchase screen. Along with this, the user will be prompted to confirm that they have any necessary accessories before being able to press the Purchase button.
The design of the icons displayed will be updated.
We haven’t heard anything yet on how this update affects the Homebrew Channel. If you want to keep enjoying ‘brew on your Wii, it would probably be better if you don’t update yet.

I assume this is the true update ive searched.

I turned on my PAL uk WII,and got nintendo update message regarding the shop channel.
No point even updating rather stay safer on 3.2, i dont use wii shop channel anyway.

Its still basicly wii system menu 3.3, doesnt get called 3.4

And yes, if you try entering wii shop channel without updating, it tells you you need to update then go back to try again. ive just moved my wii shop channel to last page, its rubbish anyway*

Fye_DX

Trophies
XP
Country
I just recorded a little video proving that you can update safely. I'll try to post it to YouTube, and everything goes fine it will be posted in a moment.

goodboy735

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but........ EVERY THING WORKS!!! I've updated from 3.3U to, well, 3.3U
biggrin.gif
The Homebrew Channel works just fine, i ran Wiigators loader though the backup loader channel and though hbc and they both worked great! i ran waninkoko's loader (though hbc) and it worked fine (besides the black and white
rofl2.gif
). copying the twilight hack save had no problems, and it ran perfectly! so i guess this update wasn't to destroy homebrew
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
goodboy735 said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but........ EVERY THING WORKS!!! I've updated from 3.3U to, well, 3.3U
biggrin.gif
The Homebrew Channel works just fine, i ran Wiigators loader though the backup loader channel and though hbc and they both worked great! i ran waninkoko's loader (though hbc) and it worked fine (besides the black and white
rofl2.gif
). copying the twilight hack save had no problems, and it ran perfectly! so i guess this update wasn't to destroy homebrew
smile.gif

Could you test installation of a wad? It's evident that it won't touch installed programs yet installing wads may be affected...

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Channel Updates
Mii Channel
- Added more types of apparel (i.e. Shirts, shoes, hats and pants, etc)
- Added more types of faces, hairstyles, features, etc
- Ability to create Custom apparel by using images loaded from an SD card
- Ability to collect new items from games that would be automatically added to the Mii channel.

Photo Channel
- Ability to delete images from Photo Channel without having to search for them on the Message Board
- Choose order in which music tracks are played during slideshow
- Ability to arrange order of pictures to be viewed in Slideshow
- Customization of image gallery (allow for user-created folders to manage pictures)
- Ability to change music tracks during a slideshow
- Custom Slideshows
- Playlist support
- Now allow video shortcuts to be placed on Wii itself, so you can view it with your photos

Internet Channel
- Support for Adobe Flash Lite 3
- Save images from web page to the photo channel
- Support for Tabbed browsing
- Image download to SD Card

News Channel
- Support for additional news source feeds

Shop Channel
- Popular games enhanced. Now, you can see what is “Popular this week”, “Popular this month” and ”All-Time Best Sellers”.
- Download Demos. Try out Wii games before they come out.

Data Management / Storage Solutions
- USB Flash Drive support
- USB Hard Drive support
- Support for SD Cards above 2GB
- Ability to load Virtual Console games from an SD card without it residing in the Wii main memory.
- Allow people to merge their save data files as what would be extremely useful in the situation where a friend brings over their save file on an SD card or no longer has their Wii.

Communication Enhancements
- Ability to communicate via voice while playing Wi-Fi Connection Network compatible games
- Options for Enabling or Disabling voice chat communication functionality
- Support for most Bluetooth and USB compatible headsets/microphones.
- Parental Controls updated with more options for communication functionality
- Instant Message your friends in your address book
- See when friends in your address book are actually online utilizing the Wii (games, photos, surfing net, bulletin board, etc).
- View your friends Game-Specific Achievements
- Download new Game-Specific Achievements

General UI updates
- Ability to customize the Wii Main Menu (Select wallpaper, music, animations, size and shape of channels). Incorporated SD Card functionality so you can select to stream music tracks off that media.
- Cleaned up the Wii menu with a single channel for all Virtual Console games, rather than each game having it’s own channel.
- Option to group games together. Keep all the N64 games on one channel or all similar games together.
- Firmware/Software Update History
- Address Book page increase
- The ability to message multiple people in address book at once.
- The ability to send and receive messages via the Wiimote Home button at any time, even during gameplay.
- The option to have the LED stay on constantly while the system is on.
- Ability to adjust gamma correction, vertical screen position, etc. in your screen settings.
- Ability to set the sensor bar settings incrementally.
- Ability to set a boot up password / PIN.
- Ability to lock out the configuration options and save data sections via parental control features.

New Channels
- Instant Messenger Channel - Chat with friends or family members who are online at the same time.
- Media Channel - An update of the Photo Channel where you can listen to MP3s without viewing the pictures.
- NSider Channel - A channel that takes you straight to the Nintendo Forums.
- Nintendo Power Channel - Get special downloads and content from Nintendo Power.
- Achievements Channel - View total play time, which games played, accomplishments, games registered, and other stats.
- Music Channel - Be able to listen to various music tracks from your saved games such as the unlockable Metroid Prime 3 extras. You could configure a jukebox with your favorite music and have it play in the main Wii interface while you use the Message Board or Internet Channel.

If you were in dreamland, and Nintendo could make an update similar to this, everyone would update, surely the wii is capable of all this, just Stupid Nintendo are idiots* They make everything so plain and basic.! And all it makes you think is erm thats just LAST YEAR.

Fye_DX

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
goodboy735 said:
biggrin.gif
rofl2.gif
smile.gif

Could you test installation of a wad? It's evident that it won't touch installed programs yet installing wads may be affected...
PAL Wii, Runing latest firmware (3.3E), using WAD Manager 1.21 and Megaman 9 WAD (NTSC-U Version with FreeTheWADs):
WAD setup is 100% ok.

goodboy735

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
goodboy735 said:
biggrin.gif
rofl2.gif
smile.gif

Yep, Installs fine and works fine

EDIT-beat
biggrin.gif

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my update notification message here. Though already did the deed earlier and nothing borked that I can tell. Just Shop Channel changes for now as mentioned.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well it looks good so far. But I'll just wait at least one more day before updating. You never know what kind of tricks Nintendo might pull. Perhaps they've built in a sort of delay before the update strikes against homebrew.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Well it looks good so far. But I'll just wait at least one more day before updating. You never know what kind of tricks Nintendo might pull. Perhaps they've built in a sort of delay before the update strikes against homebrew.

That would be a Lesbian for softmodders, lol.

jam3972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do firmware updates require us to remove cIOS things like DVDx and waninkoko's cIOS to properly update? or are those wiped anyway on an update? or what.

goodboy735

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
erolz said:
do i have to uninstall the hbc, ios and installed wads BEFORE updating?

QUOTE(jam3972 @ Oct 23 2008, 01:32 AM) do firmware updates require us to remove cIOS things like DVDx and waninkoko's cIOS to properly update? or are those wiped anyway on an update? or what.
nope, and they are not wiped (at least on this update).

pLemming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heads up... since the Shop update and this, it's pretty much broken this end.

Every attempt at channel installation (both from WAD manager and even Twilight hack scarily enough) fail with error -2011. Attempts to use the Loader also caused it to just drop back out to the Homebrew channel without any affect on regionfree for channels or discs.

Not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021