Gaming Wii U USB Y-Cable

SuperK

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it does work perfectly with my two 2.5 USB 3.0 HDD's. Output of the wall outlet is 5V, 2100 mA .
No plug both cable into the wii u, if voltage is higher than 5v that you plug into wall outlet you fried your unit
Yea I just switched hdd of my laptop and wii u and now it works with just the standard y cable method (I don't have much money so is hard to buy another anyway). Now my question is, WHY DOES ONLY THE OTHER HARD DRIVE WORK WHEN IT'S THE EXACT SAME MODEL WHYYYY

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I just switched hdd of my laptop and wii u and now it works with just the standard y cable method (I don't have much money so is hard to buy another anyway). Now my question is, WHY DOES ONLY THE OTHER HARD DRIVE WORK WHEN IT'S THE EXACT SAME MODEL WHYYYY

Because standard usb output voltage is 5v, anything above would damaged the drive, and anything connect to it.

SuperK

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because standard usb output voltage is 5v, anything above would damaged the drive, and anything connect to it.
No I mean the normal method with y cable not the method to put one in wall outlet. I just hate the fact that I have 2 of the same hard drives but only one works.

mitgenuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
@Hayato213
i ve looked up several wall outlets now.. The ones ive seen all uses standard 5V. If you keep sayin that a hdd can get damaged above 5V thats fine...but i think you should stop saying dont attach hdd to a wall outlet....

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I know it's late but did plugging one y cable to wall outlet work?

The short answer is don't.

While it might work, it's never a good idea to connect two active power sources directly together, unless they're specifically made for it. There's some circuitry needed to protect against reverse currents etc, which you don't know if the console or PSU have or not.

mitgenuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
The short answer is don't.

While it might work, it's never a good idea to connect two active power sources directly together, unless they're specifically made for it. There's some circuitry needed to protect against reverse currents etc, which you don't know if the console or PSU have or not.
Sry this is just nonsense. You will most certainly not fry your console or hdd if you plug the power cable of the y cable in a 5V USB Wall outlet.
To be clear: using y cable generally can lead to fry usb board in wii u. but you have probably less risk to fry it when u use a wall outlet for the power cable than plugging the power cable in a second wii u usb port.

Last edited by mitgenuss,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All USB power supplies support 5V. Some optionally support a higher voltage for fast charging, but it's only active when a supported device is plugged in.

His previous post mentioned plugging in the usb port of the y cable into a wall outlet, depending on the voltage output he should just plug it into the wii u if it is 2.5 drive. voltage doesn't affect fast charge, current does, 2 amp would charge faster than 1 amp at 5 volt.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
His previous post mentioned plugging in the usb port of the y cable into a wall outlet, depending on the voltage output he should just plug it into the wii u if it is 2.5 drive. voltage doesn't affect fast charge, current does, 2 amp would charge faster than 1 amp at 5 volt.
You are wrong there. If you have an Android smartphone, look at the charger, chances are it says both [email protected] (or around there) as well as 9V or another voltage. Samsung uses 9V, OnePlus is the only brand I know that uses 5V for fast charging. ;)
Many phones now have fast chargers that support charging at 30W or even more, 5V simply isn't capable of handling such current without making the cables excessively thick (and then you could not use just any USB cable, you would have to use the special one the manufacturer gives you, or risk a fire when the cable melts if there is something flammable nearby), USB cables are made with extremely thin wires.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are wrong there. If you have an Android smartphone, look at the charger, chances are it says both [email protected] (or around there) as well as 9V or another voltage. Samsung uses 9V, OnePlus is the only brand I know that uses 5V for fast charging. ;)
Many phones now have fast chargers that support charging at 30W or even more, 5V simply isn't capable of handling such current without making the cables excessively thick (and then you could not use just any USB cable, you would have to use the special one the manufacturer gives you, or risk a fire when the cable melts if there is something flammable nearby), USB cables are made with extremely thin wires.

Im not talking about phone though we are talking about hard drive, there is specified voltage and minimum ampere on the drive like the one in the photo

71nK57McdyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Im not talking about phone though we are talking about hard drive, there is specified voltage and minimum ampere on the drive like the one in the photo

View attachment 297450
We're talking about using USB wall adapters to power a drive, most of those are made for phones, saying voltage has nothing to do with fast charging is factually wrong.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about using USB wall adapters to power a drive, most of those are made for phones, saying voltage has nothing to do with fast charging is factually wrong.

Lol you should read his original post first what does that has to with him plugging one end of y cable into wall outlet lol.

I know it's late but did plugging one y cable to wall outlet work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o