Hacking Wii U System Update 5.0 released

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But some of the people on there said the IP address didn't work, so I don't know if it's all that reliable of a method.

Bugger, now I'm at a loss as to what I should do, but how do we know for sure there will be another exploit for hackers to tackle on the Wii U? I mean, it almost feels like I wasted money on a game if I can't go online forever, you know?

well, I have been blocking nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net for a log time now, my wiiu doesnt update (it tries, but can't download the update files) and I use the wiiu browser on a daily basis to watch tv shows

edit: huh just realized, the url in that thread is different to my blocked one... I just used forum search for that topic... wonder where, I actually got the ip from lol... but it works for me

edit2: yeh, this is where I got the url from:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-disable-wii-u-auto-firmware-update-please.360351/page-2

well, eshop won't work, but browser still works perfectly fine... and that's all I need, as I buy my games as a disc and not digitally

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bugger, now I'm at a loss as to what I should do, but how do we know for sure there will be another exploit for hackers to tackle on the Wii U? I mean, it almost feels like I wasted money on a game if I can't go online forever, you know?

Make your choice.

I want to play MK8 right now, so I'm going to bite the bullet and update and update until an exploit is released, then I will worry about my actions.

Worst comes to worst, you can pick up another second hand 8gb Wii U for £99.99 these days..... (provided you can verify the FW is 4.X.X <whatever> before you buy it ;)... even if its hackable... )

Reactions: driverdis

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KiiWii said:
Make your choice.

I want to play MK8 right now, so I'm going to bite the bullet and update and update until an exploit is released, then I will worry about my actions.

Worst comes to worst, you can pick up another second hand 8gb Wii U for £99.99 these days..... (provided you can verify the FW is 4.X.X <whatever> before you buy it ;)... even if its hackable... )

This. I just got MK8 and want to play it online along with being able to play the new Smash Bros when it comes out.
I did this for the 3DS. I got a 7.2 Zelda and Pokemon X XL then a 4.5 aqua 3DS for Gateway.
Anyways, doesn't the Wii U have a bootrom exploit (not released) that can only be fixed via a new HW revision?

Reactions: KiiWii

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I have been blocking nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net for a log time now, my wiiu doesnt update (it tries, but can't download the update files) and I use the wiiu browser on a daily basis to watch tv shows

edit: huh just realized, the url in that thread is different to my blocked one... I just used forum search for that topic... wonder where, I actually got the ip from lol... but it works for me

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-disable-wii-u-auto-firmware-update-please.360351/page-2

well, eshop won't work, but browser still works perfectly fine... and that's all I need, as I buy my games as a disc and not digitally

Can you still play online (i.e. MK8)?

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But some of the people on there said the IP address didn't work, so I don't know if it's all that reliable of a method.

You are assuming everyone configured their routers correctly

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have literally everything turned on and its still go the error on the game pad.... "quick start is not ready yet"...

I have this set up:

Internet: auto SW updates = enabled
Power settings: auto powerdown = enabled, standby func = enabled,
quick start settings: enable = enabled, recieve notif = enabled, disp notif = enabled, provide alerts = enabled.

Any ideas? What is your exact set up?

Thanks in advance.

I shut doen the system with the button on the console.
Make sure you have automatic downloading on , from the spotpass options.
Your Wiiu light will go orange.
After a while your gamepad home button will sart flashing bleu, It notifies you for your first message from nintedo.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This. I just got MK8 and want to play it online along with being able to play the new Smash Bros when it comes out.
I did this for the 3DS. I got a 7.2 Zelda and Pokemon X XL then a 4.5 aqua 3DS for Gateway.
Anyways, doesn't the Wii U have a bootrom exploit (not released) that can only be fixed via a new HW revision?
It has an exploit that allows you to DUMP the bootrom IIRC, which is not all that useful.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't panik according to WiiKeyU it does not matter what FW your on! well so they say. I updated mine because I wanted my MK8 freebies and to play online, so it was well worth the update for me also the quick menu they give is pretty cool now, much better!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
.the_randomizer said:
You can turn off standby in the settings AFAIK, I don't have it on anyways; no standby. I don't understand how this is an issue if you just turn it off in the settings.​
And how are we supposed to avoid it?
It still updated here, standby set to off.
If you play online, the update downloads itself it seems.

the_randomizer said:
But some of the people on there said the IP address didn't work, so I don't know if it's all that reliable of a method.​
Jeez just get the games you like, play MK online it WORTH it!
I bought a bunch at DIRT cheap prices, as long as that stays I will not homebrew at all.

linuxares said:
Future explination!

I put in Nintendo Land disc to play and then it started to auto-update. I just put in the disc, nothing else. Stand By was off!
That's just a game update not a system update.

EDIT REASON, SOMETHING WENT HORRIBLY WRONG ON MY SIDE OF BROWSER.

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Just update!! WiikeyU isnt coming till another 3 to 6 months :) there will be more updates for the system before wiikeyu comes out

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I saw no such address in that thread, only that people wanted to block it. What post had the address? I didn't even see it on either page. Unless you have it written down somewhere..?

Make your choice.

IF we get another exploit, much like the 3DS, people always talk and talk like there will be a new exploit, but never happens and sounds like a one-shot deal, like the 4.x exploit, how do we know for a fact that if the browser exploit is patched, that we'll ever see another one, if ever?

This one nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
So I just add that to the list to blacklist? Hopefully the router Google Fiber gave us has such an option (I have admin access).

Just update!! WiikeyU isnt coming till another 3 to 6 months :) there will be more updates for the system before wiikeyu comes out
And squander my chance to ever using a free exploit? How do we know the Wii U will get more exploits? If it's anything like the 3DS, I guarantee it will be like it was with the 3DS and have it only work on earlier firmware, so updating will screw people over. Are these fears unwarranted?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I just turned on my Wii U with Standby mode enabled (duh?). The first thing to show up was the message that an update is being prepared. After finishing preparation the update was ready to be installed with only "Ok" to select as an option. What I did here is just shutting the Wii U off. After turning it on again I'm not asked again to update and am still on 4.1. Will the update nag come back?

I understand I cannot access the eShop now, but what about playing MK8 online?

Reactions: BvanBart

Xizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo fucked up pushing this update out. Too late!

They should have had it ready just before Mario Kart 8 was released. That way everyone would have had to update to get their free game.

As soon as I saw Nintendo trying to sneak this shit onto my system I yanked the power cord. Now I have those addresses blocked in my router. I'm on 4.1 and I can still play Mario Kart 8 online. And because I got the game the day it came out I had registered on Club Nintendo and redeemed my free game already.

Nice try, Nintendo.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's just a game update not a system update.

Nay, since I the day before played Nintendo Land. I started my Wii U, ejected Mario Kart 8 and put in Nintendo Land. All of a sudden it updates. I thought too that "Oh, maybe something went wrong with a Nintendo Land install" and all of a sudden, I got version 5.0. So no, it wasn't a game update.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I saw no such address in that thread, only that people wanted to block it. What post had the address? I didn't even see it on either page. Unless you have it written down somewhere..?

what do you mean, you dont see it? you even quoted my post with the url inside it..... nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net

edit: just fyi, I am still on fw 4.02 and I use the wiiu and its browser daily

Xizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes - Nintendo is sneaking this update onto everyone's system regardless of whether they have standby downloads disabled or not. Everyone will turn on their Wii U and be greeted by this nasty surprise. It reeks of desperation. Only way to stop it is to yank the power plug.

Once you have those addresses entered into your router you can test it worked by going into system settings and manually trying to update. It should tell you the servers are down for maintenance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.