Wii U System Update 5.0 released

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by masterchan777, Jun 3, 2014.

1. djbubba2002

djbubba2002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 10, 2007
    Its already getting worked on :) they only change little bit..to the exploit..:)

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Someone already answered that a bit of the way up. Anyways, should I just take the plunge and update with the false hope of seeing new exploits? How do I know this will actually work with the router? I have the one Google Fiber gave me and I do have admin access to it.

The hell?:blink: What do you mean? Are you saying I should go ahead and do it? How do you know this for fact? I don't want to do something I'll end up regretting with the Wii U updates.
    No, I haven't turned on the system since last night, before the update was released, and I'm afraid to turn the bloody thing on. With that said, in the mean time, I can boot up in vWii, then go to Wii U mode and bypass it that way. If I did accidentally update (and believe me, knowing my luck, it will happen somehow), I'm pretty much screwed. No hopes in finding another exploit anyways.

Be that as it may, I have homebrew on vWii, which isn't affected at all, not worried about that. I'm worried that this will lock out the possibility of ever installing homebrew on Wii U mode. I do support the devs, I just don't want to be forced to update.

3. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    I dont have anything to worry about since i dont homebrew or hack my wii-u at all but with that said, i think this is kind of bullshit from Nintendo.

I had all the auto-update features turned off on my console and i had to go out when i came off mario kart 8 only to find there was an update that had "automatically disabled the turn off wii-u" option and then i had to sit through what was around a 15min update. I didnt allow it to update, mario kart 8 did not require a mandatory update when i first played the game so WHY did i have a huge update waiting for me today? Too sneaky and creepy for my liking and im fairly sure the rumoured "bricked wii-u's" lately IS because of this forced update and those people accidently turned off the wii-u when it tried to update.

4. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    did your update already completely download? if not, turn off wiiu, access your router, block the ip and the download will then not be able to continue and fail
    if the download already finished and is installing already, then ofc DONT turn it off during the install process, as that might brick it

5. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    You bought the game because it's great and you want to support the devs. Just update and move on.

6. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I have a question, I put a lot of games and demos into the internal memory, I have only 290MB, It can update anyway? I know update is 600MB but better be safe than sorry.

7. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Wouldn't it just overwrite the OS files already there?

Why would the updates take up more room each time, it would just overwrite the files.
    No kidding :lol:

8. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    The updateis 600MB, I have only 290MB, anyway I've disable internet,I don't want to get the update.

9. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I have nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net blocked at the router, no update nag, and I'm still on 4.1.0. YAY!!! Now I want MK8, but am unsure if I can play online (will still get it regardless when I can afford it). I do know that the 3DS does not need to be on the current firmware for online play.

10. Bluecrush204

Bluecrush204 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    so much confusion and desperation from one update lol :lol:

11. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    People need to calm the hell down. Nintendo did not block the bug in the browser, they simply changes around some addresses. The exploit has not been blocked, I doubt Nintendo even knows one exists. You know what might cause them to know, however? This mass hysteria.

12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So there's no real reason to be wary then...

Gotta love inconsistencies. We need verification on this.

Then may I ask why Crediar said that it patched this exploit? That just confuses us even more.

13. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    It's just confusing a bit when Crediar says it blocks it, then others say it's fine, then another hacker says it's changed settings etc... but I trust you M#1.

14. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Correct. Even if Nintendo does fix the exploit, WebKit is quite complex and is sure to have other exploitable bugs.

the_randomizer likes this.
  15. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Well it does block the exploit, but only because the addresses of code changed. The bug in WebKit still exists, since the WebKit component wasn't updated. This means a new exploit can still be developed with the same bug.

the_randomizer likes this.
  16. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States

Got it, was figuring from all the wiimpersonator stuff it looked like it. Will it be difficult for you all to redo the exploit with the changed memory addresses? Wasn't sure if you were working blindly (for any of us who remember some of the old iPhone bootrom exploits)

17. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Just because the browser changed doesn't mean the WebKit part was updated. Anyway, updating the exploit would require doing it blindly (possible, but difficult) or somehow acquiring the WebKit binary from NUS (easier, but requires the common key).

18. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Figured :( I imagine that you'd probably hold off any exploit till this one is figured out? Or is there a possibility of the current one being pushed out earlier.

Though honestly, it would seem better to hold the cards.

19. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

But he is saying that updating to 5.0.0 won't be a major detriment, at least, I think that's what he's saying.

20. Marionumber1

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Wouldn't it attract Nintendo's attention if it were released?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice