Wii U Plays Wii Disc but not Wii U Disc

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Hello, umm... this is confusing to me but I sorta have a problem. My Wii U won't play Wii U games, but ti plays Wii games. When I insert the disc like Super Mario 3D World, it just says it's a invalid disc and it won't load. But when I insert a Wii disc like New Super Mario Wii, it works fine with no problems. I have a WII U Deluxe system I bought on release day. Is just confusing why wii games work but not my Wii U. :blink:

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    probably different lasers. I've never really read anything about the inner workings of the system.

3. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    maybe your wii u disc is damaged

4. Vinícius

Vinícius Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Sete Lagoas
    Your Mario game is the same region as the console?

5. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe try a disc lens cleaner?

6. wiiuepiccpu

wiiuepiccpu Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2019
    United States
    Its most likely a laser issue. Using a cleaning disc wont work because of how the Wii U's drive works.First when a disk is inserted it powers on the blue laser followed by the red one.This is to check the media type. The problem is that it has 2 laser diodes so if the blue one stops working then you would have to replace the drive. If you want higher risk then you can replace the diode but doing that is an absolute Efing nightmare

7. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    I've never done this with a Wii U, but have worked on many PS3s with this issue.

On a PS3 for example, it might load PS1/PS2 games fine (CD/DVD), but not PS3 games (Blu ray).

This is very similar on the Wii U, where Wii games are DVD, and Wii U games are Blu ray.

The laser is either damaged, OR simply dirty.

In most cases, opening up the system, and gently cleaning the laser with a cotton swab and alchol has made the laser work as new.

So try this.

Should this fail, you'd have to replace the laser or the whole drive including the laser.

Sidenote: I've obtained several PS3s over the years with "bad Blu ray drives" for dirt cheap that simply needed this cleaning job and then functioned as new.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted