Hardware Wii U launch price. Any thoughts?

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
Sure, I would have preferred a $250 launch price but 300 is fine with me. I plan on getting the deluxe bundle anyway.
Yeah but the deluxe set isn't 300$. You need to shell out 50$ more. XD
I know xD $50 more is worth it for that sexy black beast... and I guess the other stuff that comes with it.

Reactions: 3 people

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The price is very reasonable considering that the Wii U gamepad has a lot of hardware in it, and that screen is probably a large chunk of the gamepad cost. If it had a normal controller I would expect the price to be more similar to the Wii's launch price. I'll probably end up getting the premium package since that has a few extras plus larger storage capacity, but I haven't decided yet.
From the looks of that article you have to buy the premium package to get a black console, and I definitely prefer black over white. Plus, since it's bundled with Nintendo Land makes it better value for money than the normal package. I'd probably end up getting Nintendo Land anyway.

Of course no one can deny that there is not much incentive games-wise to get the Wii U at launch, but that doesn't make the price any less reasonable. I don't agree with the article saying it's too expensive, but I do agree that it's not worth it to get the Wii U just to play New Super Mario Bros. U. I'll probably get it at launch anyway, because I know there's going to be lots of awesome games for it in time, and I like being an early adopter.
Just what I also tried to say.
From a gamers point of view there's not a lot of special game at launch.
And let's face it, we all wan't a game from Retro, or from Ninty themselves. ( No not Nintendoland....)
Okay there are some games that might be worth it. But I'd rather shell out cash for a Full fledged Mario or Zelda, RPG.
On the other hand With the WiiU there's bound to be more and different genres on Wii hardware in the future.
Real time strategy like C&C comes to mind and bigger sandbox games, PC quality shooters with deeper gameplay elements...
Probably well into 2013 this will happen I think, no sooner. Still I hope I will be wrong.

EDIT: Apologies for the severe typos...it's late...lol.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It falls in the "not bad" category but I won't be buying regardless.

It just seems to have very little appeal to anyone who already owns a Xbox 360/PS3/gaming PC. I mean it has a few exclusives but nothing got my interest except Rayman Legends which I'm still a bit wary about.

Controllers are overpriced as fuck though. I think it's just to help cover losses on the minimal profits of the system sales (meaning the low profits they make per console sold). I mean the console is like $300 but factor in buying more controllers and the bazillion peripherals they'll develop later on, plus the old Wii controllers/peripherals if you don't have them, and it's rather sizable.

I dunno, a lot of people are saying "Nintendo is getting hardcore gamers back!" after the Wii burned them (including me) but I already switched over to a Xbox 360. They're a couple years too late and I don't see myself laying down money for a new console that's roughly getting the same treatment that current generation consoles have been getting for years: multiplats with other consoles and an exclusive now and then.

If you have a gaming PC, then really, there's no need to have a PS3 or 360 except for the exclusives. But then again, you shouldn't be basing this console based on the launch titles. Hell, if you have a PS3, then there's no need for the 360 or vice versa... oh wait, yeah there is, you SHOULD be buying a console for the exclusives. Not saying that you can't have a game that's multiplat, but buy it for the exclusives. Hell, the 360 and PS3 all have basically the exact same library.

The way I see it, you already got some great exclusives, you got New Super Mario Bros. U which looks more like Super Mario World (thank god), and Bayonetta 2 and Rayman Legends which looks gorgeous. And then sure, you could get Assassin's Creed 3 on the 360 or PS3, but if the gamepad add's a whole new element of gameplay and makes the game better, I'm going straight for the WiiU version. Hell, I love Arkham City and own it on PS3 and PC, and I own Mass Effect 3 already too, and I plan on buying those on the Wii U mainly because they're fantastic titles and the gamepad will just enhance it so much more.

Reactions: 1 person

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hell, the 360 and PS3 all have basically the exact same library.
This is the reason I could never understand people who have both a PS3 and a 360. What's the point? You're paying hundreds of dollars extra for another console and controllers just to play a handful of exclusives? I don't think there's any denying that Nintendo has way more exclusives than Sony and MS combined. The only reason I even own a 360 (it was a gift, but that's besides the point) along with my Wii is since, as we all know, there's tons of HD titles that the Wii never got.

That said, I'm hard pressed to think I'll even get the next Xbox when it comes out, assuming the Wii U can hold mainstream multiplats after the PS4 and NextBox come out. Yeah, I'll miss Gears of War and Halo, but there's no way in hell I'm getting an extra console just for two franchises.

kimekaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price is fine, I think what will really cause a stir is when they eventually get around to putting out individual gamepads on the market, and the price they manage to put them out at.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel the prices are a bit too expensive. Why? Because I'm one of those folks who has a tendency to judge the current price by comparing it to the lowest price I've seen in the past.

For example, I saw a house on sale for $250,000 ten years ago, so a similar house selling for $350,000 this year is TOO EXPENSIVE... even if everyone else says it's a steal at that price, I will forever compare it to the 250k price point, and not the 400k that everyone keeps telling me is the average current price of a house in that area!

As for the Wii U's price, because I've seen lower prices for consoles before, I will compare it with the lowest, and not with their initial higher launch prices. Therefore, TOO EXPENSIVE.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the prices are a bit too expensive. Why? Because I'm one of those folks who has a tendency to judge the current price by comparing it to the lowest price I've seen in the past.

For example, I saw a house on sale for $250,000 ten years ago, so a similar house selling for $350,000 this year is TOO EXPENSIVE... even if everyone else says it's a steal at that price, I will forever compare it to the 250k price point, and not the 400k that everyone keeps telling me is the average current price of a house in that area!

As for the Wii U's price, because I've seen lower prices for consoles before, I will compare it with the lowest, and not with their initial higher launch prices. Therefore, TOO EXPENSIVE.

Oh, then I guess the PS3 and Xbox 360 were reasonably priced back in 2006.

Reactions: 4 people

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The limited HDD space is the only fuck up for that price IMO.

If it had came with 40-120 HDD it would have been a pretty sweet deal, but i'm sure they'll get there in a year or 2.

Till then, i'll hold out.
At least you don't use proprietary HDD like X360/PS3, you can use anyone of your choice, plus they are cheap and you might have space one around somewhere to plug in. I do anyway.

I plan to get a TB HDD for Wii U as I will be going digital.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it had came with 40-120 HDD it would have been a pretty sweet deal, but i'm sure they'll get there in a year or 2.

At least you don't use proprietary HDD like X360/PS3, you can use anyone of your choice, plus they are cheap and you might have space one around somewhere to plug in. I do anyway.

Do you need that much even if you are going digital?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Do you need that much even if you are going digital?
I only have one HDD in mind to attach to the Wii U for the next 5 years. Retail games, E-shop, Virtual Console, Wiiware, possible downloadable GameCube games will most likely fill it over time. Better to be safe than sorry. :P

Then who knows when its hacked, I can play movies from the HDD and watch it on the TV/controller.

trippin1978911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to be epic. Pure speculation but the tablet controller is going to be like a logitech remote. Control all your devices with the nifty little tablet setting on the coffee table. Nintendo said this console is going to be more than a gaming console. I am sure people may think this is silly but they also looked at me the same way before the WII launched when I predicted the WII playing classic games being downloaded and played on it. I still remember the stupid looks I got at gamestop when I was talking to them about this. Should of went back and gave them a "Told You So".

The console is going to be a hub for your tv. Basically turn any tv into a Smart TV. I hope they put out a new Kirby game as well as these are hella fun to play. Downloadable Gamecube games as well.....we can play the new luigi mansion and play the original as well. Going to be epic.

Nintendo is in buisness since the nes days because they are inovative and fun. Yes the have blunders like the power glove but also ahead of their time. Remember that the gamecube had 3d support. I also remember the flames about the "gimicky" WII controller before launch but look at it now. They have also listened to complaints. Will have a "normal" controller plus all the gimmicks. Who care about the 3d. I myself do not plan on putting on a pair of glasses to watch tv until I am well into my 60's. Stereoscopic 3d is not perfected yet and will not be for at least 3-5 years. By then the angle views will be corrected and no more need for glasses. We will have a new console by then that nintendo will have perfected because of their early implementation of the 3ds. Will also have perfected the "more than a console" feel by then as well. I expect sony and microsoft to copy like always.

Why would you want a blu-ray player built into this? To burn out your laser lens early. Never understood the reasoning there. Why overwork the lens on your gaming console. You can eject a game but finish the level but not a movie. Why do you think the PS3 has so many laser issues. I learned this from the PS2 using as a dvd player.

To sum this up. Nintendo=Inovative. Pure genius really. What I like about nintendo. See the box ,live in the box ,looking outside of the box creating things for the future.

Reactions: 4 people

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That is the dumbest fucking logic I have ever read in my entire life. You should be ashamed as if you just failed Kindergarten, 4 times.

Reactions: 6 people

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That is the dumbest fucking logic I have ever read in my entire life. You should be ashamed as if you just failed Kindergarten, 4 times.
I second this. It's like saying that every console should be sold at the lowest price no matter the content offered. Most retarded logic I've ever read.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo