Hardware Wii U launch price. Any thoughts?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Would a place like Amazon or Best Buy take out the amount when I preorder or when it actually ships. I want a WiiU, I'm just hesitant at spending the $300-350 today.some
Surely, someone who preorded it can confirm when the transaction is made.

I would like to know this as well. I don't have the money "yet", but I'll most likely have it by the end of this month, and with the way pre-orders are going, I'm afraid if I wait too long to pre-order, I won't get a chance for some time after launch to get one.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a place like Amazon or Best Buy take out the amount when I preorder or when it actually ships. I want a WiiU, I'm just hesitant at spending the $300-350 today.some

I would like to know this as well. I don't have the money "yet", but I'll most likely have it by the end of this month, and with the way pre-orders are going, I'm afraid if I wait too long to pre-order, I won't get a chance for some time after launch to get one.

I just learned that Gamestop (yes, I know many don't like this store chain) does not charge until it's processed and shipped out, but Best Buy and other places....not so sure about. I only have to pay $25 to guarantee myself a preorder, but I emailed them to verify that I won't be charged prematurely. Plus I have ~65 days to cancel my order, so it's not the end of the world, and I get tomorrow, so yeah. I'm going to go for it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

I just learned that Gamestop (yes, I know many don't like this store chain) does not charge until it's processed and shipped out, but Best Buy and other places....not so sure about. I only have to pay $25 to guarantee myself a preorder, but I emailed them to verify that I won't be charged prematurely. Plus I have ~65 days to cancel my order, so it's not the end of the world, and I get tomorrow, so yeah. I'm going to go for it.

I did pre-order my 3DS from Gamestop, and I had no problems during that process, so maybe I'll do the same here.

edit

Was that at your local Gamestop, or the website? The website seems to show the full amount, with no $25 pre-order guarantee.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only problem is if I got the deluxe bundle, add in the tax and shipping costs (if you wanted it expedited), the grand total would be near $400. Yeah, I might want to stick with the $300 package. I personally don't want to wait five to ten days to use it after it launches.

Best Buy, it seems, charges after the preorder is made, which is pretty stupid if you ask me. Yet, they have the option to just pick it up at the store.
http://www.bestbuy.c...067#use_payment

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find the price very reasonable. It's not expensive for an advanced console like this. Plus, the 3DS at launch was $250 dollars, this controller is kind of like a giant single screened DS with more advanced tech. I actually feel like $300 is a steal for this console. Not the biggest fan of Nintendo with their home consoles, but this seems more like a must have super tablet.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon won't charge until it ships and you get the added bonus of no sales tax and free shipping. They might have a bonus as well, like they did for the 3DS. I'd hold out for them preorder wise, unless you don't want it shipped. they should be up soon.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad the only store I know of that allows you to pick it up is Best Buy. Not sure if Gamestop allows that, I guess I could always call them. Might go with Amazon since there's no sales tax, but waiting five days will kill me.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad the only store I know of that allows you to pick it up is Best Buy. Not sure if Gamestop allows that, I guess I could always call them. Might go with Amazon since there's no sales tax, but waiting five days will kill me.
Wal-Mart will let you pick up at the location of your choosing

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg will probably have free 3-day shipping rather than Amazon's slower Super Saver, and I think it's no sales tax outside of California.

I've pre-ordered games (edit: From Newegg) before and received them on street date meaning that they shipped it before (which is no longer taboo I guess).

They haven't listed the system for pre-order yet (checked before posting), but I'd keep an eye out for it. No sales tax and free shipping off $300 or $350 is something worth a three-business-day wait for me.

In case anyone didn't know Best Buy Gamers Club or w/e it's called doesn't do double points on consoles, so the no sales tax with Newegg/Amazon is a considerably better deal than the console alone at Best Buy.

edit2: Newegg also doesn't charge until shipping.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I find the price very reasonable. It's not expensive for an advanced console like this. Plus, the 3DS at launch was $250 dollars, this controller is kind of like a giant single screened DS with more advanced tech. I actually feel like $300 is a steal for this console. Not the biggest fan of Nintendo with their home consoles, but this seems more like a must have super tablet.
i thought of the WiiU as a more powerful home 3DS

you have a big upper screen (The TV)
and the small bottom touch screen (the GamePad)

im sure they could update the WiiU to chuck out 3D for 3D tv's also

so its effectively a Super Powered XXXXXL 3DS (number of X's depend on TV size)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some 3D TV's can synthesize 3D without special hardware support as long as you have progressive scan or HDMI output, I believe.. heard of someone setting a regular Wii up using the component cables to get 3D display because the TV supported this, but I don't remember what brand TV

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Some 3D TV's can synthesize 3D without special hardware support as long as you have progressive scan or HDMI output, I believe.. heard of someone setting a regular Wii up using the component cables to get 3D display because the TV supported this, but I don't remember what brand TV

oh yeah i forgot that
LG do a up-scaling TV that can do 3D upscale

so yeah basically a Huge 3DS :D

Reactions: 1 person

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wal-Mart will let you pick up at the location of your choosing

Cool, there's a Walmart

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you are waiting on Amazon, I'd have a backup place to preorder ready. There's something going on between Amazon and Nintendo and they haven't been selling Nintendo hardware directly, only third parties through the marketplace. They didn't have preorders for 3DS XL and they aren't selling the handheld now either. This is for the US by the way.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm wondering if I'll get it at launch or wait a little and see if there is some issues... (I especially wonder about the overall motherboard built quality) I don't want a ticking bomb like the 360/PS3 were at launch.

So far I'm more interested by the basic pack, I don't really download that much games... I think 8GB will be more than enough for the saves.

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really hoping to get this as a Christmas present (and get extra money from selling my Wii to get more games/accessories), so I don't really have a solid opinion on the price.

Really, I think its expected, and reasonable.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Kind of what I expected as a price point... I'll defintely get the deluxe model, since that goes for 350€ with NintendoLand, which I would have gotta anyway, the stands/charger and more HDD-space (though I do have a spare 500GB external HDD so that wouldn't be anything on its own I would have paid more for). But as a package a very good deal.

I also think the price is very reasonable!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It falls in the "not bad" category but I won't be buying regardless.

It just seems to have very little appeal to anyone who already owns a Xbox 360/PS3/gaming PC. I mean it has a few exclusives but nothing got my interest except Rayman Legends which I'm still a bit wary about.

Controllers are overpriced as fuck though. I think it's just to help cover losses on the minimal profits of the system sales (meaning the low profits they make per console sold). I mean the console is like $300 but factor in buying more controllers and the bazillion peripherals they'll develop later on, plus the old Wii controllers/peripherals if you don't have them, and it's rather sizable.

I dunno, a lot of people are saying "Nintendo is getting hardcore gamers back!" after the Wii burned them (including me) but I already switched over to a Xbox 360. They're a couple years too late and I don't see myself laying down money for a new console that's roughly getting the same treatment that current generation consoles have been getting for years: multiplats with other consoles and an exclusive now and then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative