Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U formatted drives are not encrypted by the common key.
Indeed they aren't, apparently. I didn't realize that there are dedicated storage decryption keys until MN1 corrected me. So, NAND/drive decryption is out the window for now, since each person wanting to do anything with the storage would need to run an IOSU exploit (since the kernel exploit only gives us PPC access meaning we still can't do anything on the Starbuck) on their system to dump the NAND and keys. Leaking keys does no good, it's up to the user. Oh well, back to work.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed they aren't, apparently. I didn't realize that there are dedicated storage decryption keys until MN1 corrected me. So, NAND/drive decryption is out the window for now, since each person wanting to do anything with the storage would need to run an IOSU exploit (since the kernel exploit only gives us PPC access meaning we still can't do anything on the Starbuck) on their system to dump the NAND and keys. Leaking keys does no good, it's up to the user. Oh well, back to work.
Right, but in theory we should still be able to dump the NAND and reflash it without the keys, correct? We just cant view or modify the contents unless we have the necessary keys?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you taliking about the wii u system menu or the original wii? cause what i was asking had to do with the wii side.

First off, wrong thread, second off, http://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/ trying to do stuff like change themes on a very easily brickable vWii is stupid.

Right, but in theory we should still be able to dump the NAND and reflash it without the keys, correct? We just cant view or modify the contents unless we have the necessary keys?
I would think so, yes. It might mess stuff up if you only do the NAND since settings are still stored on eMMC so if there's a mismatch I don't want to think what could go wrong.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

blkhockeypro19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what use does this explot have, is there homebrew, IOS loading, can the wii u butter my bread? im just confused about an exploit for nothing idea, or i just missed something big

No ISO loading yet. No interesting homebrew yet. This exploit will hopefully lead to the latter, and maybe ISO loading if people are okay with that.

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what use does this explot have, is there homebrew, IOS loading, can the wii u butter my bread? im just confused about an exploit for nothing idea, or i just missed something big

All there is a webkit exploit that gets you access to wiiu userland, which is only useful to developers. A kernel exploit is in development and once it's done, actual homebrew development can start.

TheLoneWolfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What ever happened to http://wiiu-hb.com. It's been down for a while now. Also, does the webkit exploit work on 3.1? Mine seems to just say unable to display content.
Well a webpage like that is basically pointless at this stage, without a kernel exploit released. In userspace, there's very little that can be done. Video isn't possible and I couldn't get audio to work.

Also, pretty sure 4.something is the minimum version supported by the exploit.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well a webpage like that is basically pointless at this stage, without a kernel exploit released. In userspace, there's very little that can be done. Video isn't possible and I couldn't get audio to work.

Also, pretty sure 4.something is the minimum version supported by the exploit.
Basic emulation "should" be possible (ie NES emulators etc) with only userland access. You woukd need to stream both the roms and the emulator though. In order to play backups of commercial games (retro games) you would need to stream them over your own private network (for legal reasons).

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, does the webkit exploit work on 3.1? Mine seems to just say unable to display content.

The webkit exploits works on 3.1 as well, the problem is that certain memory addresses needs to be known which requires a decrypted OS; apparently f0f has been giving some help in this regard but so far only for 4.0 and 4.1; I'm still on 3.1 as well just because usually the lower the better when it comes to exploits and you can always upgrade using a game disc.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The webkit exploits works on 3.1 as well, the problem is that certain memory addresses needs to be known which requires a decrypted OS; apparently f0f has been giving some help in this regard but so far only for 4.0 and 4.1; I'm still on 3.1 as well just because usually the lower the better when it comes to exploits and you can always upgrade using a game disc.

About that....we just tested the kernel exploit with dynamic gadget finding and apparently we can't find everything on 4.0.2 ??? We'll see when it's finished, I guess. I've been testing on 5.0.0 and it works just fine so sometimes being lower isn't always better :P

blkhockeypro19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About that....we just tested the kernel exploit with dynamic gadget finding and apparently we can't find everything on 4.0.2 ??? We'll see when it's finished, I guess. I've been testing on 5.0.0 and it works just fine so sometimes being lower isn't always better :P

Slightly off topic, but I recently have been doing some independent research into basic security penetration stuff. I practiced by exploiting a game on my PSP-1000 and getting some unsigned code to run. I was able to do this by debugging over USB and being able to look at the registers.

Do you mind describing your workflow on the Wii U? Do you have a way to debug? I'll definitely be interested in developing homebrew once the exploit is out, but I'd also like to understand the process that you've taken to get this far.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That's great news! But you can always offline-upgrade when needed, while downgrading is not (yet?) an option. I thought there was a thread on here that listed the included firmware updates for WiiU game discs --can't seem to find it-- to see if / which has a 5.0.0 update.

The reason I'm still reluctant is that Bubba said "it was 3.x.x IOSU exploit".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.