• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 7,700
  • Replies 48
  • Likes 4
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Several details regarding the Wii U Browser have been revealed.
  • HTML5 support
  • You can open multiple tabs.
  • No Flash
OhZfk.png

Multi-tasking available. You can pause your Wii U game and access the internet browser. Not only that but you can take a screenshot of the game which can be used in MiiVerse. "When users pause a game and access the internet browser, the software will remember the paused game's name and prepopulate search queries with it to help users look for relevant information."

Another multi-tasking scenario is the ability to make a Youtube video play on the TV screen while browsing the internet on the GamePad while the video continues to play.

Lastly, you can browse the web solely on the tablet while you're watching regular TV.

Youtube HD videos are supported using the browser.

Gamers can tilt the GamePad forward or backward to automatically scroll up or down long webpages.

Hell yes, this browser actually seems really awesome. I guess the 1GB RAM dedicated to the system/OS helped with that.

Reactions: 4 people

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Youtube? Finally :D The tilting sounds annoying, hope there's a way to turn that off. HTML5 support doesn't really mean anything without benchmarks, but it's a big step up from the old Ninty web browsers at least.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice but no flash :(
Mobile flash is discontinued

All flash is discontinued completely. No new Architecture are getting flash. Only bug fixes from now on are being made. I believe power pc has flash, so the Wii U could of gotten flash. More then likely Nintendo just didn't want it. What bothers me have however is there isn't any Java RTE.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
All flash is discontinued completely. No new Architecture are getting flash. Only bug fixes from now on are being made. I believe power pc has flash, so the Wii U could of gotten flash. More then likely Nintendo just didn't want it. What bothers me have however is there isn't any Java RTE.
No, Flash isn't discontinued. Adobe confirmed that it's only the embedded versions they aren't making anymore.

And since they aren't working on that version anymore, Nintendo couldn't really have gotten it. Not that it matters since Mobile Flash is generally pretty shit. HTML5 > Flash (and since this can play Youtube videos, I guess it supports most HTML5 standards).

Reactions: 1 person

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, I'm little less knowledgeable about HTML5. Does that mean I can't see some you tube videos or anything with flash or does
HTML5 make up for that? Are people converting flash to HTML5?

You think I can play a game and watch youtube at the same time with this feature?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, I'm little less knowledgeable about HTML5. Does that mean I can't see some you tube videos or anything with flash or does
HTML5 make up for that? Are people converting flash to HTML5?

You think I can play a game and watch youtube at the same time with this feature?
HTML5 has two main improvements.

1 - The ability to embed and control video. This is what Youtube can use nowadays if a viewer doesn't have flash, and this is what allows some new flash-less mobile browsers to watch youtube and videos on other HTMl5-enabled sites.

2 - The canvas and ability to control the elements on the page. This is not directly related to video playing, but it can be used for games and things like that, which flash would traditionally be used for.
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/
Check out the experiments there to see what's possible (though a lot of the 3D-based stuff uses WebGL too).

As for converting flash games and such so HTML5, there's an official tool from Adobe to help developers convert a project over.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/flash-to-html5.html
Do note that it's only for developers and meant for project files, it's not an .sfw converter (the compiled version of a flash vile).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
HTML 5 is awesome.
It's a new leap in interactivity, graphics and speed.
BTW, this looks like a great combination.
I think they are really pulling this communtiy and social gaming of.

D

Deleted-185407

OP
Nobody should be using Flash or Java for web development anyways. There's no reason to use them anymore as not only is everything easily replicable using JavaScript, but also performs far better than their Flash/Java counterparts. The only time Flash/Java might be needed is if you have to strongly support an ancient browser which doesn't have modern browser capabilities.

It's great to see Nintendo aren't going to be supporting outdated technologies. We need more developers to start doing the same.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, firstly how can they say the Wii U web browser doesn't support flash and yet here were able to watch Youtube videos in HD no less! um, it confuses me some...lol I mean the video clearly shows you being able to watch Flash videos so, I'm guessing its a typo.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow finally I will able to play non localized JRPG!
imagine having a translated script on the WiiU controller :creep:

if only this machine was region free...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok, firstly how can they say the Wii U web browser doesn't support flash and yet here were able to watch Youtube videos in HD no less! um, it confuses me some...lol I mean the video clearly shows you being able to watch Flash videos so, I'm guessing its a typo.
You didn't read the other posts, did you. :P You don't need flash to watch videos online if the videos aren't done through flash. Youtube doesn't need flash anymore if the browser supports HTML5.

Reactions: 1 person

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? well I suppose it makes plenty of sense since the way you can embed videos now with HTML 5 has changed, so I suppose it makes sense! :P

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if interactivity with the GamePad will be seriously hampered in the Wii U browser like it is in the 3DS browser. Stuff like poor keydown/up support would make it very difficult to make browser based games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1