Not open for further replies.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Longtime lurker here wanting to throw out my 2 cents. I'm still skeptical and here's why.
1) As Cyan already mentioned, a properly timed finger point to a video playing on the game pad could make this look real.
2) The game pad and TV screen/monitor were not shown simultaneously meaning the WiiU Brew "load screen" could have been there all along and displayed at the appropriate time to strengthen the illusion (It could be just a picture displayed on a screen).
3) The whole Four Horsemen theme and pictures used in the video look to be mashed up and thrown out there. There seems to be no attempt on the hackers part to try to look like a legit/mature/capable hacker. It's just too childish.

Though I'm still hopeful... Why would anybody go through all the work of creating a (pretty convincing) fake video for a cheap internet joke. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

btw, whats up with that square nfc reader? (It's usually rectangular) From what I know I've only seen that on dev units.
Post a picture of what you noticed. Maxternal is wise and fair. Reasonable. I think some good points were made. I will watch video again.

serevok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wii-u-controller-redesign.jpg
image_53069.jpg

Compare the shape of the NFC reader markers. In the video it's square just like on the dev kit gamepad. On all retail gampads it's rectangular afik.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii-u-controller-redesign.jpg
image_53069.jpg

Compare the shape of the NFC reader markers. In the video it's square just like on the dev kit gamepad. On all retail gampads it's rectangular afik.
Concrete, he is blocking "mii" and the top of the gamepad. Could he be using dev kit to make hbc? Or does this indicate it is only working on dev kit and is fake on a retail Wii U? Somebody intelligent educate me. Made a mistake showing a square? Great observation.

Reactions: Kargaroc

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there goes my belief that this could be real. Dev consoles have their own certs, you can't use software made with the devkit with retail systems. That's always how it's been.

Edit: Maybe I jumped the gun just a little bit. I'm sorry!

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
There's is a way to find out if this is real or not, they mentioned they bricked a previous Wii U because the banner has to be 128x128, we need a menu buffer screenshot and find out what's the real app banner size, you just need a Wii U (duh) and UsendMii, not sure what's the out resolution for the screenshots though.

To the people dismissing it because the guy is using a dev Wii U, they are debug/tester units, they are not used to create games or write code, the units used by developer are bigger boxes.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there are people and then there are attention trolls. This happens a lot in homebrew scene. Its not deemed fake yet, its just a possibility. It could be fake, could be real.

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds pretty good. But they released the hashes, they could just replay them. You could release the files with those hashes, but that's illegal. You could send those files to f0f to verify, since f0f is trusted, and it's still illegal but files aren't getting released so that's a plus.

Hmmm...
I have an idea to see if this is legit.

These hackers (unknown status) can SHA-256 all the Wii U system files and release those hashes.

After those hashes are released, f0f would do the same.

If done in this order and the hashes match, then this is probably real as it demonstrates that the hackers have Wii U filesystem access capabilities that aren't public at this time.

Cheating is prevented by the trusted party (f0f)'s hashes being kept secret until the Hackers hashes are released. This prevents the party to be be authenticated from being able to cheat.

Surely this plan has tons of flaws as it's basically the same as rolling your own crypto.
I not only trust f0f to cooperate, but also not to cheat. Now I doubt f0f would cheat, but it's really bad from a security standpoint.

Surely there's some standard, publicly reviewed system for doing this.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds pretty good. But they released the hashes, they could just replay them. You could release the files with those hashes, but that's illegal. You could send those files to f0f to verify, since f0f is trusted, and it's still illegal but files aren't getting released so that's a plus.

There's Wii U system files that f0f hasn't released information about, but are known by f0f internally.
These hackers can hash all the Wii U system files and release those hashes. If those hashes match f0f's hashes, then this is probably real as it demonstrates that the hackers have Wii U filesystem access capabilities that aren't public at this time.

Of course, this still needs a bit of cooperation. Just a bit.
Or tell Marcan what files.the.hashes correspond to:-). So Maxternal, this could be a dev kit and be useless on retail units? I believe an sdk would need to be used for hbc, right? I am not aware of how dev kits work (totally). Couldn't this be real and using sdk/dev kit to make hbc and possibly other surprises? I guess if they release it will be revealed. Marcan did not say the exploit was not plausible.

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if the hashes f0f released even correspond to whole files at all.

Also I think the idea is
if they're legit, they're using the debugging units to do what they were designed for and debug the exploit (and possibly any framework that comes along with it) and that it would still run on retail units.

Disizdream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Come on guys, this is obviously a fake.

They showed absolutely nothing about a Wii U hack on this video.

They are attention whores who got a free devkit from https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com and they just created an empty program with an icon and a launch splash screen.

There is absolutely no doubt that the gamepad on the video is from a Devkit, the square for NFC proves it (plus they are hiding the top of the gamepad)

Reactions: the_randomizer

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
well i was excited untill i watched it properly about 4 times......... start stop start stop lol ok my point is if they wanted to just hide the MII why cover nearly the hole top centre part of the gamepad (the mii is in the left corner)?? also when they show from gamepad to the tv if you look at it the hole console has been covered as well with the towl. my guess is its a devkit....... i mean why else would you cover most the gamepad and the hole console.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: