Hacking Wii Theme Team Creations

Dermaeher88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I've been creating a custom theme for my niece's Wii. I've got most of it built out, and have been testing in Dolphin before I install it on the actual Wii. Everything works fine, except for my home screen background. Currently, it causes Dolphin to crash when progressing past the health screen. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-theme-crashes-after-health-screen.641220/ for more details.

scooby74029 recommended that I post here for help.

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Dermaeher88,

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all,

I've been creating a custom theme for my niece's Wii. I've got most of it built out, and have been testing in Dolphin before I install it on the actual Wii. Everything works fine, except for my home screen background. Currently, it causes Dolphin to crash when progressing past the health screen. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-theme-crashes-after-health-screen.641220/ for more details.

scooby74029 recommended that I post here for help.

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
when i made themes a lot dolphin would crash when testing a full theme with loads of edits not sure if the newer versions are better i still only have a old version on my pc
also remember dolphin is only emulating the system menu and is not 100% the exact same as a native wii this could be the problem
so what i used to do is only test parts of a theme then combine them in to a single theme at the end

I would say since its only a image edit its best to finish all other edits that you can in dolphin then add the last image and do the final test on a real wii so long as you have priiloader then you are safe and if it does crash you can just reinstall the original base app to get it working again

if you still have concerns pm me the theme and i will gladly look it over for you.
my wii has long since been packed away but im sure i could help work it out

Dermaeher88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figured it out. I was erroneously setting my main menu background image as the Wii's bottom menu background.

Attach28396_20231014_213907.jpg

The image, I'm assuming, was far too large for Dolphin to resize on its own. Now, I just need to find the actual main menu background element in ThemeMii.

The moral of this story. Don't assume that just because something says "backpic" that it is the element you want 🙄...

Attach28398_20231014_214314.png

Last edited by Dermaeher88,
  • Haha
Reactions: impeeza

BHRundas10410

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. So I'm now trying to change the animations for my custom Wii channels using Benzin, the only problem is that whenever I try running the program, the terminal window pops up for 2 seconds then disappears. Is there any way to fix this? Or do I have to redownload the program? If I do, can someone send me a link? Because when I Googled Benzin and tried downloading it, it keeps saying not found. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: impeeza

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. So I'm now trying to change the animations for my custom Wii channels using Benzin, the only problem is that whenever I try running the program, the terminal window pops up for 2 seconds then disappears. Is there any way to fix this? Or do I have to redownload the program? If I do, can someone send me a link? Because when I Googled Benzin and tried downloading it, it keeps saying not found. Any help is appreciated.
benzin is a command line tool it does not have a GUI
I use some bat scripts to make it easier just copy your brlyt or brlan in to the benzin folder and run brl2xml.bat to convert the file then you can run xml2brl.bat to convert it back
you can find it here

BHRundas10410

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I can see that better with the bat file you included, but what I want to know is how will this enable me to edit the animations for a channel that I have the base wad for? Or am I unable to do that?

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I can see that better with the bat file you included, but what I want to know is how will this enable me to edit the animations for a channel that I have the base wad for? Or am I unable to do that?
you need to put the brlan files in this folder and convert them with benzin
this will give you a human readable file that you can edit
then convert it back to a brlan

this site documents the brlan file format you can use it to understand it some more

Reactions: scooby74029

DaBlazingStar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant if my_IplTop_a.brlyt changes the color of the shadow under the bottom blue curved line in the main menu, then I'm wondering which file changes that shadow color but while within the SD-card menu. Because they dont share the same brlyt. Also do you know which option in Theme Brlyt Editor to edit for this specific shadow, like what is the option called in the drop-down menu in the tool.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
oh sorry that shadow in the sd channel is in the mn_SdcardMenu_a.brlyt file

there is no option in the Theme Brlyt Editor to change the shadow I only added the most common theme edits to the editor you will have to edit the files manually

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5-JoLK1dA