Tutorial  Updated

Wii on Wii U Virtual Console: Injecting Games

Requirements:
WiiScrubber v1.40;
nfs2iso2nfs v0.5.4; it may require the Wii common Key. You can use wiiscrubber's key.bin renamed to wii_common_key.bin.
A clean rip of your Wii game;
The extracted contents of a Wii VC title for the Wii U (except the .nfs files);
-the 2 below require java to be installed-
jnustool (requires Wii U common key so you'll have to search online - hint: it begins with D7B0. Open the "config" file in notepad and paste the key inside, replacing [COMMONKEY]);
NUSpacker (must be @ihaveamac's version, requires Wii U common key as well)

Current limitations:
It's possible to use the gamepad to emulate ONLY the Classic Controller.
Wii Remote emulation is possible but there's no gyroscope or infrared commands (at least for now).
(Input emulation patches by @FIX94)

The game must be already compatible with the Classic Controller but that isn't a guarantee that it's going to work.
Here's a compatibility list: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_Wii_inject_compatibility_list

Integrity checks are still in place so only clean disc rips work.
The game iso must be pristine: untrimmed, unscrubbed and the partitions signed.
No homebrew, no mods, no wimmfi patched games until sigpatches are implemented.

Patched isos work now! Original idea by @Tock46!

Homebrew works now, even a special version of Nintendont by @FIX94

Trimmed isos still don't work, at least not isos trimmed by WiiScrubber.

HOW TO DO IT

0. Downloading a Wii VC Title
This may be illegal and I'm just telling you so you don't ever do it by mistake OK?
You can use the command line to download games' contents directly if you know the title id and title key.
I heard you can get them on a certain titlekeys site...

Once you have that, this is the command
Code:
java -jar JNUSTool.jar TITLEID TITLEKEY

NmNYbOu.png

Note: You should get a game that contains the latest revision of fw.img (r590), that's the only version supported by @FIX94's patches.
Here's some info you can use to verify that you have a good file:
Size: 1785497 bytes.
CRC32: E2F27E9B
MD5: 3CAF52A9A440EEE4F125A3AD22E305C8
SHA: A5A75EBF3164874830A1D5992495DE510AB3F74E

Now here's a list of some titles that contain the preferred fw.img (verified mostly by @fejich and @markehmus)
DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT [VBXE01]
Kirby's Epic Yarn [VARE01]
Lost in Shadow [VA8E01]
Mario Strikers Charged [VBFE01]
Mario Super Sluggers [VBHE01]
Pandora's Tower [VAPE01]
PIKMIN 2 [VBTE01]
PIKMIN [VBUE01]
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition [VBDE01]
Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles [VBWE01]
Rhythm Heaven Fever [VAKE01]
Sin and Punishment Star Successor [VALE01]
Super Mario Galaxy [VBKJ01]
Super Paper Mario [VBBE01]
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword [VANE01]
Trauma Team [VA6E01]
Wario Land Shake It [VBGE01]
WARIO WARE SMOOTH MOVES [VBVE01]

-----------------------------------------------

1. WiiScrubber
First setup WiiScrubber. Remember it needs the Wii common keys so run MakeKeyBin.exe first and do as it says.
Run it and open you iso. Right-click the UPDATE partition and select "Delete partition". Confirm.
uE02Phr.png

Now click on the + box to expand the DATA partition, then expand partition.bin.
Right click tmd.bin, select "Extract" and save it.
Do the same with ticket.bin.
jJPl3Wy.png

Rename the extracted ticket.bin to rvlt.tik
Rename the extracted tmd.bin to rvlt.tmd

Copy/move both files to the "code" folder of the Wii VC title.

Your iso is now ready and you can close WiiScrubber.

2. nfs2iso2nfs
Move your iso to the "content" folder of the Wii VC. Rename the file to "game.iso".
The content folder should contain only game.iso and the "assets" folder. Delete any nfs files that are still present.

Copy nfs2iso2nfs.exe to the content folder and run it. If everything is in place, it will begin the conversion process.
It should take around 15 minutes. Its console window will close when it's finished.
Once it ends you can delete your iso file and nfs2iso2nfs.exe (and wii_common_key.bin if it exists).
The content folder should contain only the nfs files and the "assets" folder.

Optional: You can enable Classic Controller emulation for playing using only the gamepad.
Open meta.xml (it's in the meta folder) in notepad.
Look for the line
Code:
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>

replace it with
Code:
<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">65537</drc_use>
and save the file.
Note that this will only work if the game supports the Classic Controller.
If it doesn't either it won't boot or you won't be able to do anything and only the gamepad's power button will work.
Here's a list of such games: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_compatible_with_Classic_Controller

3.NUSpacker
The final part, building the installation files.
NUSpacker requires the Wii U common key. You should find it online and then open the file "encryptKeyWith" with
notepad and paste the key inside (hint: it begins with D7B0)

It's also a command line tool so you'll have to write down the commands, or simply create a new text file,
write the command inside, save it and change the extension from .txt to .bat

I recommend copying the Wii VC folder (that contains the other 3 folders, code, content and meta) to nuspacker's folder.
That will make everything easier.

The command works like this (replace with the names of your own folders)
If you folders have spaces in their names, enclose them in quotation marks, like "Just Dance".
Code:
java -jar nuspacker.jar -in GAME_FOLDER -out INSTALATION_FILES_FOLDER

Wiait until it finishes the process.
Now just copy the folder with the installation data to the "install" folder SD card, run a CFW and install it with WUP Installer GX2!

PS: If you make a nonfunctional game, remember to uninstall it before trying again.
If you install a fiunctional game over a broken installation, it will still appear as broken.

Attachments

• WiiScrubber [V-1.40 A-2009].rar
    528.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • NUSpacker.zip
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,337
  • jnustool.zip
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • nfs2iso2nfs v0.5.4.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 871
Last edited by piratesephiroth, , Reason: updated nfs2nfs2iso

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PunEmu seems a litle outdated.
Does it have sauza code?
It does, though you can simply replace the dol of one of the emulators with WiiScrubber.
The menu itself does not support the Classic Controller (as far as I know), so it still requires some modifications if you want to be able to use the GamePad.

LuisGerdez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 works, but it does not let me advance from the start menu because it says "There is no Nunchuck or Classic Controller attached to the Wii Remote 1". He even lets me skip the cinematics, but I get that message and he does not let me advance to the menu. Is there any solution for this?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 works, but it does not let me advance from the start menu because it says "There is no Nunchuck or Classic Controller attached to the Wii Remote 1". He even lets me skip the cinematics, but I get that message and he does not let me advance to the menu. Is there any solution for this?
You cannot get the rid of that since there is not an actual wiimote connected and cannot sync it while in gamepad mode.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nope, I noted this a few pages ago in the thread.

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@ploggy Do you mind trying some Wiiware games? The process should be similar to homebrew dol, I think.

I'd it myself but I don't have the Wii U with me atm :(

LuisGerdez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You cannot get the rid of that since there is not an actual wiimote connected and cannot sync it while in gamepad mode.
So it is not possible to play DBZ from the gamepad? What a shame, I really wanted to enjoy that game again from the comfort of the gamepad. If there is any news please mention me :)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What if you guys recompile the latest source with the latest libraries available?
liogc I think add supports for the Wii U Pro controller, and I'm not sure if there are more inclusions to the libraries since the inception of this emu.
Perhaps recompiling with the latest changes might make it compatible with the Gamepad?

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What if you guys recompile the latest source with the latest libraries available?
liogc I think add supports for the Wii U Pro controller, and I'm not sure if there are more inclusions to the libraries since the inception of this emu.
Perhaps recompiling with the latest changes might make it compatible with the Gamepad?
It already supports the Classic Controller, but it doesn't work with the GamePad for some reason.
I used with SMG2 as a base. I'll try using a game that supports the GamePad without changing that value in meta.xml.

EDIT: Pandora's Tower just reboots the console. I think SMG2 as a base would work but we need to find a way to use the emulated Classic Controller.

Last edited by nastys,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@ploggy Do you mind trying some Wiiware games? The process should be similar to homebrew dol, I think.

I'd it myself but I don't have the Wii U with me atm :(
That would be ace, there are some nice gems like MegaMan 10, Contra Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, Cave Story, Space Invaders Get Even, Gradius Rebirth, ArtStyle serie, etc...

Reactions: MG4M3R

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It already supports the Classic Controller, but it doesn't work with the GamePad for some reason.
I used with SMG2 as a base. I'll try using a game that supports the GamePad without changing that value in meta.xml.

EDIT: Pandora's Tower just reboots the console. I think SMG2 as a base would work but we need to find a way to use the emulated Classic Controller.
Recompiling with the latest libraries wouldn't hurt.
That would add Wii U Pro Controller support, and perhaps some other fixes for other controllers as well.
Besides, one person could add WiiSX and update Wii64 to the latest Not64 build as well while we are at the recompilation process.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Haven't read this whole thread so sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way or will there be a way to use the touchscreen? For example, if you inject Mario Kart Wii, can you press the buttons in the game menu on the touchscreen? Or do you have to use the D-pad / stick to move the cursor / selection?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Omg if wiiware fluidity (hydroventure) works I would be so happy :)
Make a forwarder from Wii U to the channel installed on Wii menu would be a better aproach, since most of those games are no larger than 50mb :lol: and Wii injections are forced to 4.2gb -___-

I modify hbl2hbc source and managed to load USB Loader GX from Wii U menu, so loading WiiWares from Wii U is doable, you just need the game installed on nand though.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Make a forwarder from Wii U to the channel installed on Wii menu would be a better aproach, since most of those games are no larger than 50mb :lol: and Wii injections are forced to 4.2gb -___-

I modify hbl2hbc source and managed to load USB Loader GX from Wii U menu, so loading WiiWares from Wii U is doable, you just need the game installed on nand though.

Great thinking, thank you :)

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What would happen if you added the same line in twice with 2 different values

Code:

And

Code:

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

This way you can't use the Gamwpad though, unless I'm missing something?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Make a forwarder from Wii U to the channel installed on Wii menu would be a better aproach, since most of those games are no larger than 50mb [emoji38] and Wii injections are forced to 4.2gb -___-

Is a mess that we couldn't inject trimmed isos :(

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What would happen if you added the same line in twice with 2 different values

Code:

And

Code:
Either that would cause an error or only the last line will count.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share