Gaming Wii not loading specific game after health and safety screen

Epix7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So today my wii was booting up Mario Kart Wii just fine, I go to install a new mii and then load the game back up. When I loaded the game back up, mario kart loaded normally until the health and safety screen faded out and attempted to load the ESRB Rating Screen. I tested other games on this wii and it worked perfectly fine without any issues. I am almost completely certain this is not a disc drive error.

At this point I have several questions:
- Is this an issue with the Wii's NAND?
- Why does only MKW not boot up and other games can?
- Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You said you added a new Mii ?
How and from where? is it yours? a backup from the wiimote, or you got it online? etc.

MarioKart uses the Mii, other games don't.

try to launch MiiMaker again to see if it works, maybe the issue is your Mii database.
delete that new mii ?
Is that new mii set as your default? (I don't remember if there's this option like on later/newer consoles)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: jeannotte

Epix7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

is your disc not scratched or damaged?

Or the lens which is dirty ??
The disc was not damaged since it worked on my other console. Also, any other game worked on the console with the issue.

You said you added a new Mii ?
How and from where? is it yours? a backup from the wiimote, or you got it online? etc.

MarioKart uses the Mii, other games don't.

try to launch MiiMaker again to see if it works, maybe the issue is your Mii database.
delete that new mii ?
Is that new mii set as your default? (I don't remember if there's this option like on later/newer consoles)
I just installed the mii using Savegame Manager GX, exited the application then launched CTGP. I had done this process probably nearly a hundred times or more without any issue.
(There is an online mii maker where you create and save miis onto your sd card and import them)

When I launched CTGP is where it stalled. Just to reiterate, it stalled after the health and safety screen loaded then faded out. This also happened when launching the vanilla game.

This happened to my friend a couple months ago, he factory reset his wii and it fixed the issue.

Reactions: jeannotte

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You asked for help, I suggest one, you don't like it.

Like I said, it could be the Mii.
You added mii to database
It also do that with retail disc
the game launched but fails AFTER the health and safety screen, but BEFORE selecting a savegame/license, exactly when it probably tries to access the Mii database and fails.
Factory resetting the Wii also reset the Mii database.
Everything you said has a common element... guess which one?

you see the relation here?
having done it hundreds time without problem is not a reference to tell nothing can ever go wrong!
a lot of people install wad to NAND without bricking... until they do.

It's just an idea to debug things :
see if launching Mii maker works. You added it directly to database with a homebrew and didn't thought it would be a good idea to see if it were properly imported?
If the database is corrupted and miimaker can't launches, we got the problem.
if Miimaker launches without problem, no harm trying to remove last added mii anyway! "just to test".
delete the added mii
try again.

If the database is faulty, miimaker should have an option to reset (delete every miis)
if not, use SavegameGX or restore a previous backup (SGX should allow that, right?) if not, use ftpii to write a backup to NAND. (shared2\menu\FaceLib)

Attention, resetting the Mii database or having a corrupted Mii database will also prevent loading some games : Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3 are tested and reported affected games, and probably Mario kart/CTGP which uses Mii as "driving license". they need your "Mii" after the health screen for that reason, it needs to load and display it!
Always make a backup of facelib file before editing it! if you never did a manual backup using SavegameGX, maybe one day you used emuNAND and dumped nand? look there for backup.

before doing a full factory reset, try to find the problem and a direct solution. even if it's not what I think, at least you would have tried and we could confirm "my idea was not the problem". knowing it's not that is better than not knowing and never having the answer whether it could help future users with the same issue or not.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Epix7 and jeannotte

Epix7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up having to format the system memory but I was able to backup several important and such. Thank you for the help. Sorry about coming off as a little arrogant or rude. Again thank you

Reactions: banjo2

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I ended up having to format the system memory but I was able to backup several important and such. Thank you for the help. Sorry about coming off as a little arrogant or rude. Again thank you
thanks for the excuse :) sorry too then, I often react badly too.

Did you test miimaker first before formatting? I'm still curious whether it was related or not. just for my own knowledge and future help I can provide to other people.

Epix7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I did test the mii maker. I first deleted the last five miis I made/imported then tried again. Nothing. After that I formatted the mii maker entirely and it still didn't work. Since my NAND backup was somehow deleted or corrupted from a while ago, I had no choice but to format

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1