drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have so many WiiWare and Virtual Console games on my Wii (A bunch of them legit, since I just found out about WAD manager a few days ago) that I only have space for 1-2 hacked games before I have to uninstall some.

It's kinda a hassle to be installing and uninstalling games all the time in order to make them fit... so here's my question. Is there any hack for the Wii that lets you run the .bin file off the SD card?

I know you can put them on the SD card and put them back on the Wii (the non-hacked ones anyway), but they won't show in the system menu anymore. Is there any real reason why you wouldn't be able to run Wii channels stored on the SD card? Is this possible somehow?

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
short answer: No

Long answer: No because Nintendo has become a bunch of bastards. Hope for some kind of storage announcement at E3.

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
You can run VC games from a DVD(no Manual, no Save game), but we are still working on a easier way to make the ISOS.

(This info hasn't been released on GBATemp yet
tongue.gif
)

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jayparadox said:
You can run VC games from a DVD(no Manual, no Save game), but we are still working on a easier way to make the ISOS.

(This info hasn't been released on GBATemp yet
tongue.gif
)
Ohohohohohoho! Misters Nintendo Wii Hackers found something new?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear... if I see one more thread about this, all bets are off.

You already have access to more memory management techniques than an average user and you're STILL complaining?

Look... the only titles that need to be installed are WiiWare, Nintendo 64, T16, and Neo Geo.

Install the homebrew channel and only the homebrew channel. It does not make sense to install VC titles for games you can emulate and it makes just as much sense to install the emulators as channels.

A 2GB SD card is enough room for 500 SNES, 50 NES, and 50 GBC games.

If you still find you're running out of room, there are several more memory management solutions available:

+WiiFTP
+TCPLoad
+USB Mass Storage

/thread

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
I swear... if I see one more thread about this, all bets are off.

You already have access to more memory management techniques than an average user and you're STILL complaining?

Look... the only titles that need to be installed are WiiWare, Nintendo 64, T16, and Neo Geo.

Install the homebrew channel and only the homebrew channel. It does not make sense to install VC titles for games you can emulate and it makes just as much sense to install the emulators as channels.

A 2GB SD card is enough room for 500 SNES, 50 NES, and 50 GBC games.

If you still find you're running out of room, there are several more memory management solutions available:

+WiiFTP
+TCPLoad
+USB Mass Storage

/thread
Wowwowwow you are getting pissed off I think!
Calm down!

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't make it read from the save that already exists in the system memory?

And hmm... you can't stack them can you? Like you can with GameCube games? Burning a DVD of all 20+ of my old games would own...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
Calm down!

It's annoying how often this topic comes up.

The Wii has enough available memory, if you don't go retarded and load more than you actually play.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
skawo96 said:
Calm down!

The Wii has enough available memory, if you don't go retarded and load more than you actually play.
I know. But you must be strong. You must! Remember don't give up!
lecture.gif

deadrabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
skawo96 said:
Calm down!

The wii has far from enough available memory as vc/saves and channels > available internal memory, until you can run directly from SD it has a great issue. Especially for people who dont have a hacked wii. Not everyone has nor wants to setup their wii the same way you do teq, hence the numerous posts - alternate options are beneficial as not all people are the same.

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
The DVD VC Loader stuff is still being tested by memebers from EOL, but it's quite "easy"(not easy for normal users) to do.

As of multiple games on one DVD, we would need to make a custom DVD DOL launcher, that launches the "main.dol" from the partition we want. Example:

Main Partition(0/1): custom "main.dol"(built with devkitpro), with a menu to launch the desired game.
Partition 2(Mario Bros.): "main.dol" of this game, with all it's files.
Partition 3(Metroid): "main.dol" of this game, with all it's files.
...etc...

This would be the best way of doing it(multiple VC on one DVD).

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of USB mass storage... does it work the same way as SD? Like you can't play stuff right off the USB and need to install it (or use an emulator)?

I don't like the emulators because they don't work as well as Virtual Console... framerates are buggy, saves hardly work, older emulators don't even have Wiimote support... I'd much rather stick to the wads.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
jayparadox said:
The DVD VC Loader stuff is still being tested by memebers from EOL, but it's quite "easy"(not easy for normal users) to do.

As of multiple games on one DVD, we would need to make a custom DVD DOL launcher, that launches the "main.dol" from the partition we want. Example:

Main Partition(0/1): custom "main.dol"(built with devkitpro), with a menu to launch the desired game.
Partition 2(Mario Bros.): "main.dol" of this game, with all it's files.
Partition 3(Metroid): "main.dol" of this game, with all it's files.
...etc...

This would be the best way of doing it(multiple VC on one DVD).

ok (so this is exactly like using a SDCARD DOL loader with VC unpacked dols) but then, how do you handle situation where the application dol want to access some particular file from the NAND filesystem ? this will fail each time the VC application want to access HTML manual or quit the game (automatic save)... and I'm not speaking about more complicate VC emulators (TurboCD, N64...) which probably make use of extra files (textures, .ogg, ...) to emulate the game properly... If this only work with "simple" VC emulators, I still prefer to keep using homebrew emulators (I disagree with an above comment, they have often much more features than the VC ones and compatibility is very similar for released games)

anyway, the only solution I see would be to hack the main dol or IOS to patch NAND FS access with SDCARD or DVd access, good luck with that, this becomes pretty like making an ISO loader
unsure.gif

tell me if I'm missing something here but I highely doubt it could be a viable solution
unsure.gif

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
That's where the trick is: We use the SSBB files, which access the DVD and not the NAND.
The goal now is to replace the ROM from the SSBB games for any we want. The video shows the rest.

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
They are the extra partitions on the ISO used for the MasterPieces on the game. They ahve the exact same files that the WADs have, only "02.app" is "content2" directory, "03.app" is "content3" and so on.
It has the "00.app" as "opening.bnr"(like any other ISO) and "01.app" is the "main.dol" file.

All this info has been known for a very long time, just never released to the public xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill