Hacking Wii memory question

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jayparadox said:
They are the extra partitions on the ISO used for the MasterPieces on the game. They ahve the exact same files that the WADs have, only "02.app" is "content2" directory, "03.app" is "content3" and so on.
It has the "00.app" as "opening.bnr"(like any other ISO) and "01.app" is the "main.dol" file.

All this info has been known for a very long time, just never released to the public xD
rolleyes.gif
Hackers are hiding information for us, maybe there is a isoloader now but we don't know about it.
rolleyes.gif

Kokorazashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo said they were working on a solution to the storage problem, but they also mentioned that they were NOT going to make a hardrive. So what else could it be?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
skawo96 said:
jayparadox said:
They are the extra partitions on the ISO used for the MasterPieces on the game. They ahve the exact same files that the WADs have, only "02.app" is "content2" directory, "03.app" is "content3" and so on.
It has the "00.app" as "opening.bnr"(like any other ISO) and "01.app" is the "main.dol" file.

All this info has been known for a very long time, just never released to the public xD
rolleyes.gif
Hackers are hiding information for us, maybe there is a isoloader now but we don't know about it.
rolleyes.gif

well, don't dream too much though
rolleyes.gif

nice, I didn't know about those VC demos on the SSMB dvd but it's obvious the first thing that comes in mind when you see them is to decrypt the DVD partitions and to find them out ... apparently, those are modified (and limited) VC emulators that can read the content directly from DVD instead of the NAND, so by injecting your own roms as usual, you can easily make a DVD full of those custom wads... smart
rolleyes.gif

btw, do you know the limitations of these apps ? I guess there is a time limit (is it hackable ?) and no save feature, as they are only demos

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone told me you could hack the time limit on Brawl's Masterpieces... but now that I can get the wad files I'm seriously not bothered.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deadrabbit said:
The wii has far from enough available memory as vc/saves and channels > available internal memory, until you can run directly from SD it has a great issue. Especially for people who dont have a hacked wii. Not everyone has nor wants to setup their wii the same way you do teq, hence the numerous posts - alternate options are beneficial as not all people are the same.

Let's just put it out on the table here: VC/Wiiware titles paid for < Available Internal Memory

If you can't put all of your stolen titles on your console at once, that's just too bad. Suck it up.

Besides, the NAND isn't meant to be put under the strain of being written to in such high quantities.

EDIT: @drfsupercenter: Actually, most of the emulators are better than the ones Nintendo provides. Check the framerate in the VC DKC versus SNES9x.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I filled up the internal memory with stuff I paid for, though.

I wasn't always a pirate... before you could hack VC stuff I bought a bunch of them. I can move them back and forth but it's really quite a pain.

But a few systems don't yet support the Wiimote and I really have no intention of playing games using a GameCube controller (Classic controller pwns all)... Even if people like the emulators better, I find that the official VC games have less emulation bugs than emulators. (BTW, anyone have a .wad of F-ZERO in NTSC? That's one of my favorite SNES games but I've been unable to find one...)

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drfsupercenter said:

Okay... let's do the math:
The average SNES VC title is about 15MB. The Wii has a little under 450MB of storage free after installing the Internet Channel. So, let's assume you actually did fill up your Wii's memory completely through legal means:

450/15 = 30 * $8 = $240

You're telling me you spent about the same amount as the Wii cost on Virtual Console titles? For one, there are not 30 titles on the Virtual Console that are worth the money. Secondly, you can delete games you've purchased and re-download them later.

I'm going to have to call BS on this one.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
drfsupercenter said:

I wasn't always a pirate... before you could hack VC stuff I bought a bunch of them. I can move them back and forth but it's really quite a pain.

But a few systems don't yet support the Wiimote and I really have no intention of playing games using a GameCube controller (Classic controller pwns all)... Even if people like the emulators better, I find that the official VC games have less emulation bugs than emulators. (BTW, anyone have a .wad of F-ZERO in NTSC? That's one of my favorite SNES games but I've been unable to find one...)

I disagree

NES, TG16, GENESIS, MASTER SYSTEM & SNES now have support for wiimote, GC controller, nunchuk, classic controller,...
most of them also have various video/audio options which the VC emulators obviously don't have
most of them have a freeze feature to instantly save your game progress on sdcard

btw, bugs in homebrew emulators are minor (please give an example of a game running better in VC ? ) and even if a game does not work properly, this could always be fixed, which is obviously not the case of VC titles

this only makes N64 & C64 emulators as missing pieces
not speaking of GB/GBC/GBA emulator

deadrabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
Let's just put it out on the table here: VC/Wiiware titles paid for < Available Internal Memory

If you can't put all of your stolen titles on your console at once, that's just too bad. Suck it up.

Besides, the NAND isn't meant to be put under the strain of being written to in such high quantities.

EDIT: @drfsupercenter: Actually, most of the emulators are better than the ones Nintendo provides. Check the framerate in the VC DKC versus SNES9x.

Not all people are pirates! - and you cannot argue that vc/wiiware titles fit on the nand, the numbers dont work - and neither does the swap and shop method with an SD card.
You mention the average snes game etc- yet I am clearly talking about n64 games and wiiware (the hundred blocks plus packages) - i have emulators which cover other older and smaller systems well enough.

and "Besides, the NAND isn't meant to be put under the strain of being written to in such high quantities." is a ridiculous comment considering the nature of memory.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you pirate, you pirate, plain and simple.

If your going to pirate, then bitch and moan that Nintendo didn't make enough room, go cry to your mommy.

How many games can you play at once? I highly doubt you are playing EVERY vc game you have. If you bought it legit, delete it! You can download it from the Shop Channel at any point you want for free.

As for NES, SNES, Genesis, and GB(mono/color/advance) there are EMULATORS! You can put every rom on your SD card, have multi save states, and your not clogging up your NAND and putting extra strain on your system.

And teq, remember, save files aren't just 1 block for alot of games. SSBB and MKWii together are almost 500 blocks! And if you add the MKWii Channel your taking another 230 something. Not all files in the NAND are VC titles!

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The average SNES VC title is about 15MB.

Did I ever say they were all SNES? Most of mine are N64... Star Fox, Zelda (that one's HUGE), Mario Kart, Pokémon Snap, etc.
And dang is that Nintendo Channel huge... and the Everybody Votes Channel, and Check Mii Out channel...

I probably spent about $100 on VC games. Only about $20 of that was my own money... The rest was Wii points cards I got for Christmas and my birthday.

Maybe there are emulators I don't know about then? I just use the ones that WiiBrew links to... I know at least one of them has no Wiimote support but I can't remember which ATM.
Also, why does the Wiimote turn off when running things like FCEU or SNES emulator... then I have to wait 30 seconds... then press 1 and 2 to synch it... With programs like the WAD manager, the wiimote never goes off at all. Why does that happen with emulators then?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The emulators aren't coded by the guys who know the Wii inside and out.

As for the emulators, there's a thread that lists all the emulators (in Homebrew Channel format)

All the emulators I know of use the Wii-Remote and Classic Controller. Since you say you have a ton of N64, you either have a Classic Controller, or a Gamecube Controller, so your completely set.

http://skhsarki.extra.hu/files/download/apps.html

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Kokorazashi said:
Nintendo said they were working on a solution to the storage problem, but they also mentioned that they were NOT going to make a hardrive. So what else could it be?

I hope I will be right for saying this.

Either:
  • They won't make a hard drive, but make them compatible with it (the external USB ones)
  • They will have a storage solution, but not a hard drive. Maybe a solid state memory or something. But it will be expensive.
  • Make a new batch of Wiis wilth built in HDD (which is impossible because they are already facing lack of supply.)
  • Make the SD reader HC-compatible and you can play games from it...
I'm seeing #1 happening. We'll find out next week...

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deadrabbit said:
Not all people are pirates! - and you cannot argue that vc/wiiware titles fit on the nand, the numbers dont work - and neither does the swap and shop method with an SD card.
You mention the average snes game etc- yet I am clearly talking about n64 games and wiiware (the hundred blocks plus packages) - i have emulators which cover other older and smaller systems well enough.

Someone who claims to have spent $240 on VC/Wiiware is a pirate. End of story. You can not have that many titles and so few Wii games. It just isn't logical.

As far as Nintendo 64 and Wiiware titles are concerned, sure, I could see it if you actually bought every single title. But let's face it, that just isn't the case. There aren't that many games released that are worth keeping on the system.

QUOTE said:
and "Besides, the NAND isn't meant to be put under the strain of being written to in such high quantities." is a ridiculous comment considering the nature of memory.

Uh, considering "the nature of memory" and NAND specifically, Nintendo does fault tolerance checks on the NAND with every single update.

NAND has limited writes and will suffer from read degradation over time. It's a proven fact, so the only rediculous argument is you proving it isn't.

QUOTE said:
Did I ever say they were all SNES? Most of mine are N64... Star Fox, Zelda (that one's HUGE), Mario Kart, Pokémon Snap, etc.
And dang is that Nintendo Channel huge... and the Everybody Votes Channel, and Check Mii Out channel...

I hate to burst your bubble, but the three Nintendo channels you mentioned are utter garbage that was meant to appeal to an entirely different demographic than the ones purchasing VC titles.

Removing those channels and only installing Nintendo 64 titles into memory allows you to fit up to 12 games. Use the Homebrew channel for every other console.

QUOTEMaybe there are emulators I don't know about then? I just use the ones that WiiBrew links to... I know at least one of them has no Wiimote support but I can't remember which ATM.
Also, why does the Wiimote turn off when running things like FCEU or SNES emulator... then I have to wait 30 seconds... then press 1 and 2 to synch it... With programs like the WAD manager, the wiimote never goes off at all. Why does that happen with emulators then?

Only the older releases come without Wiimote support. Most of them have since advanced to support the Wiimote and even USB storage.

As far as resyncing is concerned, every homebrew title that uses the Wiimote does that, including the Homebrew channel -- you just aren't noticing it. The amount of time it takes to sync is entirely dependent on the skills of the developer.

I hope I will be right for saying this.

Either:
They won't make a hard drive, but make them compatible with it (the external USB ones)
They will have a storage solution, but not a hard drive. Maybe a solid state memory or something. But it will be expensive.
Make a new batch of Wiis wilth built in HDD (which is impossible because they are already facing lack of supply.)
Make the SD reader HC-compatible and you can play games from it...

I'm seeing #1 happening. We'll find out next week...

Actually, it isn't going to be additional storage whatsoever.

They are diverting VC titles to a streaming solution, where the channel stays on your console, but the data is sent to you every time.

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
drfsupercenter said:

Okay... let's do the math:
The average SNES VC title is about 15MB. The Wii has a little under 450MB of storage free after installing the Internet Channel. So, let's assume you actually did fill up your Wii's memory completely through legal means:

450/15 = 30 * $8 = $240

You're telling me you spent about the same amount as the Wii cost on Virtual Console titles? For one, there are not 30 titles on the Virtual Console that are worth the money. Secondly, you can delete games you've purchased and re-download them later.

I'm going to have to call BS on this one.

It's entireley possible. He could have bought the biggest roms for N64, Internet Channel, Some Wii Wares etc. and It would not add up to very much money. My Wii was getting Pretty full with all the save files, internet channel, check mii out, everybody votes, Zelda OoT, Pokemon Snap, Starfox, Zelda LTTP, zelda, Kirby's adventure, Sin, Harvest Moon, and Paper Mario.

So that would have been $70ish (to lazy to remember all the pricing).

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
night_chrono said:
It's entireley possible. He could have bought the biggest roms for N64, Internet Channel, Some Wii Wares etc. and It would not add up to very much money. My Wii was getting Pretty full with all the save files, internet channel, check mii out, everybody votes, Zelda OoT, Pokemon Snap, Starfox, Zelda LTTP, zelda, Kirby's adventure, Sin, Harvest Moon, and Paper Mario.

Okay but how many of those do you actually play on a regular basis?

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whoever says there is enough storage on the Wii, is seriously kidding themself. The Wii has far from enough storage. To say, there is enough storage because you can re-download VC/Wiiware, transfer to SD memory, don't play them that much, is a major cop out. Next you'll be saying, a 4GB PVR is enough, because you can record 2 movies. It's completely unacceptable, that you should be required to swap SD cards or re-download because of storage issues.

The fact is, due to the small storage capacity, not only does it become unwanted time wastage, we have also been unable to get access to extra downloadable content, eg. Guitar Hero song packs, Rockband song packs. That just doesn't sit right with me. I accept I made the decision to buy the Wii, but it doesn't mean I can't fault Nintendo for their lack of pro-active thought.

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
night_chrono said:

Okay but how many of those do you actually play on a regular basis?

Well the ones I didn't play my siblings did.

If nintendo is trying to market to hardcore gamers and their entire families, then they should have realized that each person would have had their own storage needs.

And that was all before I used TH, and HBC. I use emulators now, and that has saved me.

deadrabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
Someone who claims to have spent $240 on VC/Wiiware is a pirate. End of story. You can not have that many titles and so few Wii games. It just isn't logical.

As far as Nintendo 64 and Wiiware titles are concerned, sure, I could see it if you actually bought every single title. But let's face it, that just isn't the case. There aren't that many games released that are worth keeping on the system.

No one is claiming to have spent $240, thats just a number you picked from thin air - regardless of the fact that is perfectly plausible for someone to spend £120 on titles if they are that way inclined - its not much money. You clearly haven't tried or bought many n64 games to realize the size of them:

Blocks
1080° Snowboarding NAOE 157 1
F-Zero X NAFE 156 1
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards NAME 153 1
Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time NACE 286 1
Mario Kart 64 NABE 123 1
Paper Mario NAEE 249 2
Pokémon Puzzle League NANE 264 2
Pokémon Snap NAKE 159 2
Sin and Punishment: ??????????? NAJN 287 1
Star Fox 64 NADE 134 1
Super Mario 64 NAAE 90 1
Wave Race 64 NAIE 97 1
Yoshi's Story NAHE 156 1

Then once you add up channels:

e.g
Blocks Save Blocks
Internet Channel 10001-HADE 233 37
Nintendo Channel 10001-HATE 123 126

some Wiiware

Defend your Castle WDFE 121
FINAL FANTASY CC: My Life as a King WFCE 287
LostWinds WLWE 258
TV Show King WB6E 290
Toki Tori XXXX 289

And dont forget the few games that have monstrous save files:

e.g.

Super Smash Bros. 64 287

You can have only a few of these and you run out of room real fast. Then to consider that new content is released continually - this is a serious problem and completely inadequate. Hence Nintendo voicing its acknowledgment of the problem.

QUOTE said:
NAND has limited writes and will suffer from read degradation over time. It's a proven fact, so the only ridiculous argument is you proving it isn't.

I say its ridiculous because even if you ignore wear leveling on nand flash memory you still get 100'000 rewrites, so functioning correctly the memory will last far longer than the wii will. It becomes a moot point based on the lifespan of the console.

QUOTE said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the three Nintendo channels you mentioned are utter garbage that was meant to appeal to an entirely different demographic than the ones purchasing VC titles.

Removing those channels and only installing Nintendo 64 titles into memory allows you to fit up to 12 games. Use the Homebrew channel for every other console.

Why would the marketing department at Nintendo decide to have an opposing direction between vc and channels? Of course they are aimed at the same demographic - the people who buy a wii! Regardless of the fact that your opinion, which you are free to express, is not the same as everyone elses and your garbage is another mans gold.
You keep mentioning ways to fix the problem which you say doesn't exist.

Although I do agree using emulators is a great solution to retaining content on the mininalist system that is the wii.

They are diverting VC titles to a streaming solution, where the channel stays on your console, but the data is sent to you every time.

Source?

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:

If the Internet would be used for this (which I'm certain that it will), it wouldn't be nice IMO. The advantage of VC is that you don't need anything else to play the games. Just download it and voila, you can play it. No internet connection or cartridges needed. If they will switch to "streaming solution", a lot of problems will surely arise.

The only situation I only see at the moment is this:

People will not be able to play VC titles if they get D/C'ed temporarily or if their connection is cut off. That happened to me 2-3 times within 4 months.

I'll just go with additional storage solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)