Gaming wii games suck!

acillatem214

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i woke up at 6am to wait in front of a target to get one from a new shipment ($260 after tax)
i bought an extra numchuck ($20), two classic controllers ($40), another wiimote ($40), two GC wavebird controllers ($76), comp cables... etc etc
i wait two weeks for a wiikey. go through all the trouble to install it. get a hundred verbatim dvd+rs. get some games (over 35GBs worth).

and low and behold. wii games suck! the only ones i am not completely bored of is wiisports and zelda. i'm pretty disappointed.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you got Wario Ware? A lot of Wii games do suck ass though but give it time.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
i cant say games have kept my attention for more then an hour either (except for zelda), but when you bring friends over you can be stuck there for hours. Like every other nintendo console, it thrives in multiplayer, and fails on single player. That being said, there is undoubtedly good games on the horizon and most game devs are pretty unanimous that they love what the wii can do. This console will get better and better, thats for sure!

in the mean time, pick up the godfather and paper mario when they come out, im sure that will, at the very least, provide you with some pleasurable single player experiences!

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
yes they all suck (except zelda), the high sales cleary shows it's a casual non gamers console

and the other kind who bought wii are nintendo fanboys, touting the "innovation" bs

Nipi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion it's quite strange to buy so much stuff allready, not knowing whether you're going to like the console or not.
Also, when you did some reading of previews and reviews, you should know whether you like the games for the Wii or not. By reading those articles and getting an opinion, it should be impossible to buy a console you don't like.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the woes of a gamer in modern times.

O, new games, why must you suck?
You get a moderately positive review, and yet
You have no value whatsoever
Yet because of said review
There will be more like you
Thus bringing pain to my heart

Once 'twas a time
Where you who did suck
Did not sell, did not flourish
But alas, in our present
You run rampant, you cause wonder
Why, O new games, do you exist?

I just watched a video review of TMNT, which, by the way, was a cross platform review (which obviously means no one reviewing the game completed it on any one system, let alone got a good feel for each one). The entire time the guy was complaining about how dull the game was, although it was presented nicely. About the combat in the game he was disappointed greatly, as it's nothing more than mashing one button, and it gets very old. So why then, why did it get a 6? Why not a 2? If the game sucks, and you say it sucks on your review, why does your score not reflect that review?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't know if this applies, but I generally find I think less of games when I can get any of them for free (ie. when I can pirate them).

When you buy games instead of pirating them, you're limiting yourself to what you can afford, you have no choice but to actually have a proper go at your games, and ultimately it's more rewarding.

Some games just plain suck anyway though
wink.gif

Remember, the Wii is still finding its feet, and there are very few early games for any console that are particularly good. If you're that disappointed, why buy a Wii?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Ah, the woes of a gamer in modern times.

O, new games, why must you suck?
You get a moderately positive review, and yet
You have no value whatsoever
Yet because of said review
There will be more like you
Thus bringing pain to my heart

Once 'twas a time
Where you who did suck
Did not sell, did not flourish
But alas, in our present
You run rampant, you cause wonder
Why, O new games, do you exist?
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

QUOTE(Dirtie @ Mar 21 2007, 12:26 PM)I don't know if this applies, but I generally find I think less of games when I can get any of them for free (ie. when I can pirate them).
When you buy games instead of pirating them, you're limiting yourself, you have no choice but to actually have a proper go at your games, and ultimately it's more rewarding.
I think it's because you won't admit that you spent a ton of money on a crap game, so you say you like it. And you play it through, and you even replay it, if you're desperate. And you won't admit you don't actually like it, because you spent money on it, and you'd look foolish (to yourself, mostly) if that money was wasted.
But when it's free, you are bothered by every flaw, you get bored easily, there's no "by Jove, I've paid for it, I'll play it if it kills me" attitude you get when you've squandered your hard-earned moneyz on the game.
When you download the game, you can afford to just flip through it, and delete it. But when you buy a game, you want ot milk it for every cent of worth you can squeeze out of it. You find and glorify the good sides, you tend to ignore the bad sides, but you don't give up on it that easily. Actually buying a game automatically adds 30% to the score you'd give the game if it was free.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, the Wii is still finding its feet, and there are very few early games for any console that are particularly good. If you're that disappointed, why buy a Wii?

I see what you're saying, mostly. I know that right now it's going to take a while for the stellar titles to step up. But I think that it shouldn't. I think that there shouldn't be so many crappy movie tie-ins and poorly developed sports games with no innovation whatsoever. And it's the moderately positive reviews of this utter crap that keep the shit flowing. If video game journalists would get their head out of the game company's asses and take a stand against this stuff, we wouldn't have so much fodder.

Sorry, in a previous thread I had foretold of a rant on new games, so I had to get it out. At least it wasn't as long as my last one.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If video game journalists would get their head out of the game company's asses and take a stand against this stuff, we wouldn't have so much fodder.
If only gamers wouldn't fall for the hype and commercials before the game has even been made, instead of preordering games as soon as it's announced, then maybe "word of mouth" would have enough time to go around, and stop people from buying crappy games. People buy bad games on good publicity. Best-selling games get sequels, clones, ports, remakes, and people then buy those, in the hope that they will be beter.

[game-company-mode]But why would they make a better game, when "market research" (seeing what games sold the most) clearly shows people "love" games like that. [/game-company-mode]

These are the baby steps. Games being produced without criteria, gimmicky games, one-trick ponies, same-old generic console games only with one key replaced with motion-sensing... And people are buying them because they think "being made for Wii" automatically guarantees a good game. And then those games seem "popular", and have more games made after the same mold.

In time, people will stop buying stuff just because it's for Wii, and start applying some criteria. And then gaming companies will have to start paying attention to what's really wanted.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, man, but it's not just the Wii that's plagued by this epidemic. I started to see it with the first batch of Xbox and PS2 games, maybe it's cause I was getting older and realizing that most games suck. After purchasing my Xbox 360, I had realized that the game industry is being beaten down with crappy games.

And you're right, veho, it's due to the fact that there are people out there who actually buy games like Over the Hedge and Madden 2085. This does reflect back to the developers that they did a good job. So now, when the devs complete a game and release it into the wild, they not only get a pat on the back from the game reviewers, but get sales because of said reviews. So they're sitting back thinking "Wow, that game was crap, it didn't take any thought or time to make, and they're buying it. Let's make Tony Hawk 173 and just replace textures and player models. They'll eat it up."

gaiyachu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i woke up at 6am to wait in front of a target to get one from a new shipment ($260 after tax)
i bought an extra numchuck ($20), two classic controllers ($40), another wiimote ($40), two GC wavebird controllers ($76), comp cables... etc etc
i wait two weeks for a wiikey. go through all the trouble to install it. get a hundred verbatim dvd+rs. get some games (over 35GBs worth).

and low and behold. wii games suck! the only ones i am not completely bored of is wiisports and zelda. i'm pretty disappointed.

I feel the same as you, I don't think the games suck but rather not very interesting. That's why I sold my Wii system and when good games come out i'll consider buying it again. (Maybe then i'll get the black one ^^)

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
some of the conclusions people have reached are completely ridiculous, this kind of ridicule can only be warranted for systems nearing the end of their life.

seriously, learn some patience

ndsbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Same thoughts here..

I think with Paper Mario a good game (which is worth to play) will come.
All the games i tested till now are not really fun. Last two games i played were
Excite Truck & Rayman - both are not bad, but still nothing i would play more than 2 hours ;-)

If you ask me wait a few month and some good games which are hopefully worth to play will show up.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not all games suck. It really depends what you like, and also if you want single player or multiplayer. But here are some games that I think are good:

- WiiSports
- WiiPlay (mostly multiplayer)
- WarioWare
- Tiger Woods
- Zelda
- Excite Truck
- Rayman

I mean, that is a pretty decent list of 7 games. That should keep you occupied. But 3 are party games.

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL of course games that they worked on for about half a year are going to suck what do you expect, and when most of the time has to goin to fixing he controls or else tit would be a waste of time.

P.S there isn't anything else out for any system, so i say better free download then waste money...then you'd really be complaining.
cool.gif

drz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just thought I'd chime in here... SSX blur is seriously annoying.

Yeah I thought so too at first (mainly from simply not being able to do the Ubertrick tutorial). But after about 30-45 mins, it all started to come together and I really enjoy it now. For the life of me, I can't get the first slalom event down yet though.

drz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here are my experiences, from 6 days of ownership (3 days since mod):[*] Wii Sports: Great. The second bowling training is especially fun to play, too.[*] Zelda: Great longer game. Having the cursor always on screen is annoying. (I've played up to finishing second light dude.)[*] Wii Play: Gives a fair bit to do for multiplayer.
smile.gif
Not that impressive for single player.[*] SSX Blur: As above, took a little while to "get it", but it's now one of my favorites.[*] WarioWare: Played a bit, but haven't found it particularly engaging yet (after 30 mins). I played a heap of the DS one, though.[*] Excite Truck: I'm still not comfortable with the controls. Seems like it could be a fun thing to play when you have 15 mins.[*] Red Steel: Manual aiming is hard! Menu is annoying as hell. Swordplay is OK. Health bar is very generous. Also, my cursor jumps to the center of the screen erratically, and I haven't found how to fix it yet. (Anyone know how to fix it?
blink.gif
)[*] The Godfather: Just got this a couple of hours ago, and played 20 mins. Seems like the controls could make it really fun, but it's too early to tell atm.I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of high def output (argh the blocks!). Surely the console would have an easy time rendering Wii Sports in 720 or 1080...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxH_Th3-LI