StacMaster-S

OP
Trophies
Website
www.halolz.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks! Haven't been over on this part of the forum in a bit, (honestly I haven't been playing my Wii all that much in general) but obviously the big 4.0 update is a big deal.

Basically I just wanted to get some discussion going on updating to 4.0 for people who installed actual modchips (like myself). Seems like a majority of the discussion on Wii Hacking is all softmod based these days... I never bothered to learn much about that (for obvious reasons!)

Anyway I'm curious what steps people are taking with 4.0 when they have a modchip installed. I'm personally using the WiiKey 1.9S and have kept my system at 3.2U all this time (although I did use an updater of some sort to get the 3.4U Store Channel working, I believe it included IOS60+61 as well?). What kind of reports have been people getting about the HBC and backups running in 4.0? From the discussions I've read so far it seems like neither would be affected, but again I see a lot of talk softmod stuff as well that kind of throws me off.

Also there has been some talk about installing IOS60 patched with "FreeTheBug" to allow playing games straight off the SD card? Not sure what the deal is with this exactly.

But yeah, just wanted to strike up some talk with other chip users!
Thanks!

GrizzlyBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good question. I am also at 3.2U like yourself and there doesn't seem to be much info specifically tailored toward modchip owners anymore.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a modchip and have done a bunch of softmod stuff lately.

Here's the deal. Your modchip just lets your drive read burnt disks. That's pretty much it. Anything you do at the system level doesn't really change that at all. There is now a program you can install as a channel that lets you load burnt disks without a drive modchip, and while this works with burnt disks as well even if you had a modchip, it's obviously redundant.

The rest of the homebrew and softmod scene is just icing on the cake for us old-schooler's that have been going the hardware route lately. Here's what I did:

1.) updated to 4.0 officially. Then I ended up removing all my custom and homebrew channels. So basically I was starting virgin.

2.) used bannerbomb with hackmii to install the new Homebrew Channel, DVDx and Bootmii.

3.) installed the IOS files needed to run homebrew software, off the top of my head I think it was IOS35 downgrader, then cIOS36.

4.) after that was done I had a working HBC and WadManager from within that as well as all the rest of the homebrew available.

5.) I'm now in the process of switching over to USB Loader GX and will use that to load my burnt games onto a hard drive so I don't need to swap disks anymore. Supposedly it will speed up load times and it's a lot more convenient.

Hope that's helpful for you guys.

beelzebul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I (wiikey1.0) went from 3.3 to 4.0 Returned back to 3.0(without any probs) to do 3.2 tomorow again
biggrin.gif

tazan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI Hooya,

thx for your info!

i was wondering if it will cause any conflict with both softmod n modchip on my wii.

i will go softmod it coz my modchip wont' work now after i updated to 4.1

and i found info how to softmod my 4.1 wii.

thx

legoblocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tazan said:
HI Hooya,

thx for your info!

i was wondering if it will cause any conflict with both softmod n modchip on my wii.

i will go softmod it coz my modchip wont' work now after i updated to 4.1

and i found info how to softmod my 4.1 wii.

thx

I didn't think 4.1 affects modchips at all. Have you tried updating your modchip first? Anyway USB Loader is where it's at.

rabapab23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually started a thread about this earlier. I accidentally updated my wii from 4.0 to 4.1. I have Wiikey 1.9s and it didn't seem to affect anything. I was told I just needed to reinstall preloader and I am good to go. But when I was on 3.2U, I did the 4.0 waninkoko updater. Still works great!

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a wiikey 1.9s and have updated to 4.1E from 4E.

I didn't have to do anything, it left the HBC intact, all my loaders work great. The only thing thats forced me to do anything recently was GH5 as I had to install Hermes Cios 223 to get it working.

You can see from my sig whats installed and it all works great.

I do agree that its becoming a softmod scene these days. I understand its cheaper (as in free) to softmod, but I have been playing backups for almost 2 years with no issues at all (region etc) Gamecube backups work great. The only reason for going down this route was for USB loaders which I seriously applaud the authors for.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simple way to 4.1 from 3.2 for chip users

1) manually install a trucha patched ios60
2) run wanins 4.1 updater

this method has left everything working for me apart from freeloader which just freezes my wii now

note, never uninstall ios60 once in use or u will brick

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem you can encounter with the original WiiKey is if you don't have the latest wiikey firmware some games will give a 001 error (unauthorized device).

The modchip does not conflict with softmods whatsoever, though the only softmods you need to use is a USB loader (since you can already run backup disks).

I have a WiiKey2, but I hardly ever use disks any more now that I have all my games on a USB harddrive. I really only use the modchip for playing gamecube games.

E30Nova

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump a semi-old topic (but hey, at least I searched!
smileipb2.png
), but I just want to be sure before I do anything. Basically I've got a 3.2U Wii with a D2CKey (or D2CKey Pro? it's been a while, lol) and I haven't had any problems with it. I also haven't played my Wii in a while, and now I want to play some newer games and I figured I'd update to the latest firmware.

My friend is playing my PS3 so I can't go on my Wii right now, but I know I had HBC (I think v 0.8 or something) along with a few VC/WiiWare games and that's basically it.

Judging by the posts in this thread, it looks like I can just officially update it to 4.1 and then use bannerbomb to reinstall HBC? Would I still be able to install wads or would I have to install a cIOS?

Thanks,
Matt

1st Time

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
First off I just wanted to say thanks for creating this catergory as I have been looking for information regarding modchip consoles with regards to the new update.

I am a newbie when it comes to having to use loaders etc.

I have an original launch model Pal wii and the original wiinja mod chip. I rushed in and updated to 4.1 after hearding that everything still works - however no wish I hadn't as I can't load any of my games from the disc channel.

I still have the HBC installed on my wii, but I cannot load a lot of new games as I do not have the correct custom files loaded on my system.

What is the best way for me to install what I need? As any loader I use says I do not have the required file installed (sorry forgot the name of the file format but think it's the IOS files - if that is what they are called).

Thanks for any help provided

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
E30Nova said:
smileipb2.png
), but I just want to be sure before I do anything. Basically I've got a 3.2U Wii with a D2CKey (or D2CKey Pro? it's been a while, lol) and I haven't had any problems with it. I also haven't played my Wii in a while, and now I want to play some newer games and I figured I'd update to the latest firmware.

My friend is playing my PS3 so I can't go on my Wii right now, but I know I had HBC (I think v 0.8 or something) along with a few VC/WiiWare games and that's basically it.

Judging by the posts in this thread, it looks like I can just officially update it to 4.1 and then use bannerbomb to reinstall HBC? Would I still be able to install wads or would I have to install a cIOS?

Thanks,
Matt

First you should update your HBC by running the hackmii installer through it and installing the HBC from there which will install 1.0.3, also while you're there see if you can install bootmii to boot2, if you can it is HIGHLY recommended to install that, as installing that and then using it to make a NAND backup = pretty much 100% brick protection.

Then you should just install a cIOS while you're already on 3.2. Just use the rev14 installer and choose any 2 digit IOS when it asks like 36 or 38.

Then you should be able to officially update and your HBC and cIOS should still be installed. Then if you want to install any wad's you should use wad manager 1.4 or 1.5 and have it use IOS249.

QUOTE(1st Time @ Sep 9 2009, 01:26 AM) Hi,
First off I just wanted to say thanks for creating this catergory as I have been looking for information regarding modchip consoles with regards to the new update.

I have an original launch model Pal wii and the original wiinja mod chip. I rushed in and updated to 4.1 after hearding that everything still works - however no wish I hadn't as I can't load any of my games from the disc channel.

I still have the HBC installed on my wii, but I cannot load a lot of new games as I do not have the correct custom files loaded on my system.

What is the best way for me to install what I need? As any loader I use says I do not have the required file installed (sorry forgot the name of the file format but think it's the IOS files - if that is what they are called).

Have you checked to see if your modchip has anything that needs updating as well? That may be why you can't play games anymore with it.

If you want to just go ahead and start using softmods instead, read through the guide in my sig.

1st Time

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
E30Nova said:
smileipb2.png

Thanks,
Matt

First you should update your HBC by running the hackmii installer through it and installing the HBC from there which will install 1.0.3, also while you're there see if you can install bootmii to boot2, if you can it is HIGHLY recommended to install that, as installing that and then using it to make a NAND backup = pretty much 100% brick protection.

Then you should just install a cIOS while you're already on 3.2. Just use the rev14 installer and choose any 2 digit IOS when it asks like 36 or 38.

Then you should be able to officially update and your HBC and cIOS should still be installed. Then if you want to install any wad's you should use wad manager 1.4 or 1.5 and have it use IOS249.

QUOTE(1st Time @ Sep 9 2009, 01:26 AM) Hi,

Have you checked to see if your modchip has anything that needs updating as well? That may be why you can't play games anymore with it.

If you want to just go ahead and start using softmods instead, read through the guide in my sig.

Thanks - as my modchip is the version 1 wiinja chip it cannot be updated. So i'm guessing from what your saying that my modchip no longer works at all on 4.1, therefore looks like i'll have to softmod.
Thanks for your help

E30Nova

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:

Thanks!

Did all that and now I'm on 4.1 and everything works like it should.
smile.gif

Thanks a lot.

Matt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi