Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

Vade

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone has checked GCOS, but has anyone checked the GCLinux bootdisk (things built with the makeisofs.exe)?

I'm quoting myself, but this is very important.

The WiiKey config disk (and many other update disks) had one thing in common: They were created using MAKEISOFS.exe, which takes a .DOL file and creates a bootable DVD.

Did they block bootable (non-GCOS) DVDs?

Asked the same question about 7 pages ago. No answer yet
frown.gif

Venger82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So anyone know if this removes duplicate channels caused by PBR update on PAL with Wiikey? I'd test but not at home at the moment.

Thanks guys

campioni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And in a nutshell:
This update does the following:
Make the Menus look cooler
Make the Menus load a bit faster
Mess up OpenWii (So don't update if you have OpenWii)
Stop you from using config discs (for the most part)
Wiikey, CycloWiz, Wiinja v2 & Deluxe are Unaffected
AR and Freeloader don't work
There are two updates for Version 3.0U - The first gives you the digital clock, and the disc channel icon, and changes the layout of the shop channel. The Second update changes the weather channel to show the forcast from the wii menu.

What do you base your suggestion that the 3.0 update messes up Wii's with OpenWii on? The one single post that was made on this forum by a guy who has failed to post any more info since? I'm very interested in this since I have a Wii with OpenWii myself, but we shouldn't spread rumors based on a single post by some dude until we have more evidence.

By the way I've read a post on the OpenWii board where some guy said his OpenWii runs fine after installing the new update.

I double dare you to upgrade. Prove the other guy wrong and become a legend.

What's the point? I can live without the new clock and "faster" channel loading times. Unless there is a game I want to play that requires me to update I dont see any reason to jump the gun on this one. However I would like to know if it definitely bricks the OpenWii or not.

MasterBelch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a weak network (is it similar to the DS?) system i wouldnt be SOOOO worried... and even if i lost online stuff i wouldnt be crying. i just wanna play the games, thats all.

shery

Trophies
XP
Country
shelleeson, what I'm trying to point out to you is that your wii is your property and not the big N's. Sure the warranty is void by modding it, sure they can attempt to restrict it by blocking online play, by circumventing the chip, refining new processes etc, but they cannot damage the machine in any way, unless it is by accident of course because they cannot account for your modified hardware.

Did you completely glance over the Xbox360 bans? What about the Xbox 1 bans? Sure you have bought the thing with your own money, but you didn't buy the patents, the IPs, the software rights etc. By using a modchip, you are not only breaching all of those, but also promoting piracy. Just because I buy a CD doesn't mean I can rip it and spread it on the internet... sure I can burn it... but that's a completely different matter all together. You say they cannot damage the machine, they aren't doing that... by opening the Wii, you already have done that. All they are doing is preventing pirate copies being played. Sure you can throw the "I'm not using my modchip to run pirate games"... but give me a break. Swear on your mum's life and maybe I'll let you off.

No offense, but you really need to grow up and look at the big picture, both logically and legally.

This is the best thing Nintendo have done, following in Xbox360's footsteps I'm sure. Of course they will make an initial loss, but at least it's showing to developers that they are serious about piracy... thus encouraging more top developers to the Wii platform.

I've said this when xbox1/xbox360 bans came out... you knew what you were doing when you opened the machine, you knew what the consequences would be, and you knew what you were doing was wrong. So whiners, stop complaining

Regarding those who still think their Wii is miraculously working... How do you know nintendo haven't implemented code to check for drive hacks (yes, they can... hello microsoft)? How do you know they're not logging them? How do you know they're not banning in waves? List is endless, but for those who think their first generation chips are "all that"... maybe you should think again?

Hang on, did you just say what I said and then tell me to grow up?

campioni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need to make a list of working/non-working chips - config disks

WiiFree - Working
WiiKey - Working
Wiinja v2 & Deluxe - Working
OpenWii - NOT Working
Action Replay - NOT Working
Freeloader - NOT Working

add/edit this list.

Once again, what do you base your pretty lil list on? How much data do you have on the OpenWii not working. If you have more than the one post made by some guy, please share, if not, stop making stupid lists like this. It is simply not true and very misleading. Maybe you can write something like "1 reported brick" but who knows if the one guy (yes the one guy) that posted about his bricked OpenWii even has a Wii...(he prolly does but do you see my point?).

Zesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has been numerous reports about OpenWii not working after the update, shut up.

If you're not afraid of updating your OpenWii then do it if you heard about it working fine.

mickeyash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shelleeson, what I'm trying to point out to you is that your wii is your property and not the big N's. Sure the warranty is void by modding it, sure they can attempt to restrict it by blocking online play, by circumventing the chip, refining new processes etc, but they cannot damage the machine in any way, unless it is by accident of course because they cannot account for your modified hardware.

Did you completely glance over the Xbox360 bans? What about the Xbox 1 bans? Sure you have bought the thing with your own money, but you didn't buy the patents, the IPs, the software rights etc. By using a modchip, you are not only breaching all of those, but also promoting piracy. Just because I buy a CD doesn't mean I can rip it and spread it on the internet... sure I can burn it... but that's a completely different matter all together. You say they cannot damage the machine, they aren't doing that... by opening the Wii, you already have done that. All they are doing is preventing pirate copies being played. Sure you can throw the "I'm not using my modchip to run pirate games"... but give me a break. Swear on your mum's life and maybe I'll let you off.

No offense, but you really need to grow up and look at the big picture, both logically and legally.

This is the best thing Nintendo have done, following in Xbox360's footsteps I'm sure. Of course they will make an initial loss, but at least it's showing to developers that they are serious about piracy... thus encouraging more top developers to the Wii platform.

I've said this when xbox1/xbox360 bans came out... you knew what you were doing when you opened the machine, you knew what the consequences would be, and you knew what you were doing was wrong. So whiners, stop complaining

Regarding those who still think their Wii is miraculously working... How do you know nintendo haven't implemented code to check for drive hacks (yes, they can... hello microsoft)? How do you know they're not logging them? How do you know they're not banning in waves? List is endless, but for those who think their first generation chips are "all that"... maybe you should think again?

You're wrong, actually. They cannot damage your system in any way, for any reason. You purchased it. It is your property. They have no right to disable your system, or anything else, at least not explicitly. If you want to take the internals of it and make them into a time machine, you can do so legally. You cannot make illegal copies of games, but it's the process of creating those copies and the ownership of copies that is illegal. Playing backups is (questionably) legal, buying/selling/installing mod chips is legal. Playing backups of games you do not own is illegal. That's the ONLY illegality in question here. It's no manufacturer's place to make your system inoperable. HOWEVER, if you review the contracts you agreed to when you signed up for XBox Live for instance, it clearly says that modified consoles are not allowed on their service. "Some offenses warrant an immediate account cancellation, including but not limited to hacking, modding, severe racial remarks, continued creation of profane gamertags, and posting viruses or URLs to viruses."

They explicitly state they have the right to terminate your account (and I'm sure ban your console's serial number) if you're caught modding. Nintendo has the right to do the same thing. They OWN the online service. They OWN your rights to that online service. You have no rights when it comes to modding on those services.

What you are violating by modifying your console is the code of conduct for the online service in question, be it XBox Live, Playstation Network or Nintendo WiFi connection. And thus, you can be banned from those services.

What your are violating by illegally copying games is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which is enforced by federal law. And thus, you can be taken to court/arrested/fined.

Nobody has any right to permanently render hardware inoperable, which you legally purchased. Also however, they DO NOT have to make their updates compatible with unauthorized modifications. There is no legal requirement to Nintendo to maintain or warranty your Wii, or your mods (be it Wiikey or whatever), once you've opened your case. So if an update breaks a mod, that's not Nintendo's problem.

What you do to your X-Box, your 360, your PS2, your Cube, your Wii, your DS, your PSP, your WHATEVER... in the comfort of your own home, is between you and the FBI. Not you and the manufacturer.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This may need to be in it's own thread, but is there a way to re-set the Wii back to original firmware? There is a system reset option isn't there? And then maybe do selective updates up to the one released yesterday? That way those of us that like to use our AR discs for emulation, that do not have mod chips, can do so?

Thanks

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There has been numerous reports about OpenWii not working after the update, shut up.

If you're not afraid of updating your OpenWii then do it if you heard about it working fine.

Your facts aren't quite straight. So far there are only two reports regarding OpenWii. The first is a post in this thread and the other is from OpenWii.org:

QUOTE said:
"I just updated my PAL DMS Wii with Openwii 2.2b, and now NO discs are working - not even retail ones. The console was previously working fine before the update."

and

I registered just to say that on my US Wii, with the latest OpenWii firmware...

This update works beautifully. I think it says that it might brick the console every time now for updates. I went and tried to update again, unsure of if I got everything (I updated earlier by coincidence, was messing with my internet settings, apparently before all the updates were streamlined into one update), and it still said this even though there was no update available.

I have one import, it works fine, setup disc works fine, tried Resident Evil 4 Wii for like 2 seconds and it booted up fine...all in all I have to say no problem. Channel loading and such is definitely faster now, and the thing with the blue light coming on more often is always welcome.

That is it. I've read through all of the posts on this subject. There are not NUMEROUS reports of OpenWii not working. So far there is 1 for and 1 against.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
You're wrong, actually. They cannot damage your system in any way, for any reason. You purchased it. It is your property. If you want to take the internals of it and make them into a time machine, you can do so legally. You cannot make illegal copies of games, but it's the process of creating those copies and the ownership of copies that is illegal. Playing backups is (questionably) legal, buying/selling/installing mod chips is legal. Playing backups of games you do not own is illegal. That's the ONLY illegality in question here. It's no manufacturer's place to make your system inoperable. HOWEVER, if you review the contracts you agreed to when you signed up for XBox Live for instance, it clearly says that modified consoles are not allowed on their service. "Some offenses warrant an immediate account cancellation, including but not limited to hacking, modding, severe racial remarks, continued creation of profane gamertags, and posting viruses or URLs to viruses."
what cereal packet did you get your information off?
QUOTEWARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); Â IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED
don't go making stuff up when you have had the facts placed on this thread already. people like you are the reason some of the people are in this thread worrying whether they should update to begin with.
rolleyes.gif

Zesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your facts aren't quite straight. So far there are only two reports regarding OpenWii. The first is a post in this thread and the other is from OpenWii.org:

QUOTE said:
"I just updated my PAL DMS Wii with Openwii 2.2b, and now NO discs are working - not even retail ones. The console was previously working fine before the update."

and

QUOTEI registered just to say that on my US Wii, with the latest OpenWii firmware...

This update works beautifully. I think it says that it might brick the console every time now for updates. I went and tried to update again, unsure of if I got everything (I updated earlier by coincidence, was messing with my internet settings, apparently before all the updates were streamlined into one update), and it still said this even though there was no update available.

I have one import, it works fine, setup disc works fine, tried Resident Evil 4 Wii for like 2 seconds and it booted up fine...all in all I have to say no problem. Channel loading and such is definitely faster now, and the thing with the blue light coming on more often is always welcome.

That is it. I've read through all of the posts on this subject. There are not NUMEROUS reports of OpenWii not working. So far there is 1 for and 1 against.

I wasn't specifying this FORUM, even thought there has been one report. There's other forums that talk about the Wii also, neh?

mickeyash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're wrong, actually. They cannot damage your system in any way, for any reason. You purchased it. It is your property. If you want to take the internals of it and make them into a time machine, you can do so legally. You cannot make illegal copies of games, but it's the process of creating those copies and the ownership of copies that is illegal. Playing backups is (questionably) legal, buying/selling/installing mod chips is legal. Playing backups of games you do not own is illegal. That's the ONLY illegality in question here. It's no manufacturer's place to make your system inoperable. HOWEVER, if you review the contracts you agreed to when you signed up for XBox Live for instance, it clearly says that modified consoles are not allowed on their service. "Some offenses warrant an immediate account cancellation, including but not limited to hacking, modding, severe racial remarks, continued creation of profane gamertags, and posting viruses or URLs to viruses."
what cereal packet did you get your information off?
QUOTE said:
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); © IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED
don't go making stuff up when you have had the facts placed on this thread already. people like you are the reason most of the people are in this thread worrying whether they should update to begin with.
rolleyes.gif

When did I say they'd warranty a modded system? Maybe you should read my post. I said they can't implicitly DAMAGE your system, and that they are not required to make their updates compatible with modifications.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't specifying this FORUM, even thought there has been one report. There's other forums that talk about the Wii also, neh?

Okay. Would you mind linking to the sources then so we can sort this mess out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rumour mill is working overtime here and that "multiple reports" are just heresay rather than actual tests.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

You're wrong, actually. They cannot damage your system in any way, for any reason. You purchased it. It is your property. They have no right to disable your system, or anything else, at least not explicitly. If you want to take the internals of it and make them into a time machine, you can do so legally. You cannot make illegal copies of games, but it's the process of creating those copies and the ownership of copies that is illegal. Playing backups is (questionably) legal, buying/selling/installing mod chips is legal. Playing backups of games you do not own is illegal. That's the ONLY illegality in question here. It's no manufacturer's place to make your system inoperable. HOWEVER, if you review the contracts you agreed to when you signed up for XBox Live for instance, it clearly says that modified consoles are not allowed on their service. "Some offenses warrant an immediate account cancellation, including but not limited to hacking, modding, severe racial remarks, continued creation of profane gamertags, and posting viruses or URLs to viruses."

They explicitly state they have the right to terminate your account (and I'm sure ban your console's serial number) if you're caught modding. Nintendo has the right to do the same thing. They OWN the online service. They OWN your rights to that online service. You have no rights when it comes to modding on those services.

What you are violating by modifying your console is the code of conduct for the online service in question, be it XBox Live, Playstation Network or Nintendo WiFi connection. And thus, you can be banned from those services.

What your are violating by illegally copying games is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which is enforced by federal law. And thus, you can be taken to court/arrested/fined.

Nobody has any right to permanently render hardware inoperable, which you legally purchased. Also however, they DO NOT have to make their updates compatible with unauthorized modifications. There is no legal requirement to Nintendo to maintain or warranty your Wii, or your mods (be it Wiikey or whatever), once you've opened your case. So if an update breaks a mod, that's not Nintendo's problem.

What you do to your X-Box, your 360, your PS2, your Cube, your Wii, your DS, your PSP, your WHATEVER... in the comfort of your own home, is between you and the FBI. Not you and the manufacturer.

Does the Nintendo Wii work without the modchip? Yes. Therefore, you have damaged the console. Not nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol