Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

fenix4o9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it sounds to me that the message is part of the update to warn you of future updates. there is only one update 3.0 it added that message in the update so every time you try and update it has that

campioni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has been numerous reports about OpenWii not working after the update, shut up.

If you're not afraid of updating your OpenWii then do it if you heard about it working fine.

Your facts aren't quite straight. So far there are only two reports regarding OpenWii. The first is a post in this thread and the other is from OpenWii.org:

QUOTE said:
"I just updated my PAL DMS Wii with Openwii 2.2b, and now NO discs are working - not even retail ones. The console was previously working fine before the update."

and

QUOTE said:
I registered just to say that on my US Wii, with the latest OpenWii firmware...

This update works beautifully. I think it says that it might brick the console every time now for updates. I went and tried to update again, unsure of if I got everything (I updated earlier by coincidence, was messing with my internet settings, apparently before all the updates were streamlined into one update), and it still said this even though there was no update available.

I have one import, it works fine, setup disc works fine, tried Resident Evil 4 Wii for like 2 seconds and it booted up fine...all in all I have to say no problem. Channel loading and such is definitely faster now, and the thing with the blue light coming on more often is always welcome.

That is it. I've read through all of the posts on this subject. There are not NUMEROUS reports of OpenWii not working. So far there is 1 for and 1 against.

I wasn't specifying this FORUM, even thought there has been one report. There's other forums that talk about the Wii also, neh?

Care to link to your "numerous reports" or are they supposed to be a secret?

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about everybody act civil and stop with the E-thuggery.

We are all going in here to get info on the Wii update and it's effect on a modded system.

Please someone either place the link to the thread talking about the legalities or create one as this thread is turning into a debate on legalities as opposed to what it was created for.

Back to the topic, has anyone tried online play (ie Pokemon or Mario Strikers) in an updated NTSC-U Wii with Wiikey?

mickeyash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Nintendo Wii work without the modchip? Yes. Therefore, you have damaged the console. Not nintendo.

Exactly. If you mod the system, and a functional update from the manufacturer happens to damage the system, that's not their problem. People seem to believe, however, that Nintendo/Microsoft are going to send some update over the wire that makes their Wii/360 explode (joking, of course, but you get the point)... and that's simply not the case. They're perfectly capable of doing so, but they don't have the legal right to do so.

We're off-topic, though... doesn't matter. We're all here to make sure the update isn't going to shut out our friendly backup enabling chips. So back on topic, for me. Sorry for the sidetrack everybody!
tongue.gif

campioni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't specifying this FORUM, even thought there has been one report. There's other forums that talk about the Wii also, neh?

Okay. Would you mind linking to the sources then so we can sort this mess out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rumour mill is working overtime here and that "multiple reports" are just heresay rather than actual tests.

Yes I have a sneaking suspicion that Zesto is talking out of his ass and is simply spreading rumors that were probably started by the one post on this board. Lol numerous reports (still laughing)...
rofl2.gif

Shadowhawk22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I completely agree with Slyguy. I have read through about 5 forums, some as long as this one, all about this topic, and a lot of the information is being passed from forum to forum, without fact checking. I have, however, heard about 6 cases of the Wiikey UTSC Wiis Successfully updating- this is from my own circle of friends. BUT- further research is needed before we all ignorantly update.

As far as the question of the legality of modding, leave it off this forum, you guys are taking up so much darn space arguing whether it is right to mod your console or not. So please, for the sake of this conversation, shut up about the legality of modding wii's.

jergens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it important to have the speed to 3X or 6X with wiikey before the update.
(I say that because of the fact that the update changes the way the wii read the disc, so i'm afraid that if i'm in 3x, it will not read any disc after the update and there would be no way to go back to the config menu).

This is an important question, one that should be addressed.

Does anyone know what the DEFAULT drive setting of the Wii is? 3x or 6x?

I want to upgrade, but I want to set the drive setting back to default first. This kind of tinkering would be a good reason for them to block out the config discs, so people can't mess around with the timing that they have discs being read at.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
When did I say they'd warranty a modded system? Maybe you should read my post before telling me to read. I said they can't implicitly DAMAGE your system, and that they are not required to make their updates compatible with modifications.
but you are telling people they can do what they want with their machines and they will be fine you said legally they are allowed to do what they want but they aren't. to have any sort of legal stand point they need to keep their machines intact was the point most are trying to make.
you if you like can turn your machine into what you like but don't expect what's left of it to be covered by nintendo in any way shape of form when you expect to have it get you through a worm hole.
the top and bottom of my entire argument is you can't expect to turn an original machine purchased by you into something else then whine when it won't work for whatever reason.
if they tell you not to do something then they make sure that that something will not work on the machines don't moan.

edit and yes i read the rest of your argument but you have to take the facts into account as well.

Zesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Okay. Would you mind linking to the sources then so we can sort this mess out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rumour mill is working overtime here and that "multiple reports" are just heresay rather than actual tests.

Wiiso.com has had some reports about OpenWii on one topic, this was earlier not sure if it's at the bottom or not.

It isn't ALOT but it's some people who are complaining, which so far makes up most of the OpenWii users who've done the update.
I don't have OpenWii so why would I care?

I'm just as confused too.

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it important to have the speed to 3X or 6X with wiikey before the update.
(I say that because of the fact that the update changes the way the wii read the disc, so i'm afraid that if i'm in 3x, it will not read any disc after the update and there would be no way to go back to the config menu).

This is an important question, one that should be addressed.

Does anyone know what the DEFAULT drive setting of the Wii is? 3x or 6x?

I want to upgrade, but I want to set the drive setting back to default first. This kind of tinkering would be a good reason for them to block out the config discs, so people can't mess around with the timing that they have discs being read at.

Agreed, anyone know this info?

mickeyash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely. I can agree with that. If it breaks, it's your fault. Let's get back to the topic though, sorry for butting in!
biggrin.gif

@shelleeson

sorry for out-of-order post

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add to the confusion:
Wii 3.0 Update works with OpenWii 2.2 (on NTSC-U Wii I should say...)
I did remove the chip before even turning on my Wii after hearing about the update. After updating, plugged openwii chip back in, backups and originals worked. Upgraded to 2.2 (I was on some previous version, probably 2.1) and it still works. I didn't even see this warning screen about modchips with I was updating, so maybe they have a way to detect and disable chips if installed.

campioni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiiso.com has had some reports about OpenWii on one topic, this was earlier not sure if it's at the bottom or not.

It isn't ALOT but it's some people who are complaining, which so far makes up most of the OpenWii users who've done the update.
I don't have OpenWii so why would I care?

Its not at the bottom, its not at the top, its not on that board at all...You're right, this isnt ALOT, its NOTHING! If you dont care about it stop spreading rumors!

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thats nice to hear. F U nintendo
nyanya.gif

Just to add to the confusion:
Wii 3.0 Update works with OpenWii 2.2 (on NTSC-U Wii I should say...)
I did remove the chip before even turning on my Wii after hearing about the update. After updating, plugged openwii chip back in, backups and originals worked. Upgraded to 2.2 (I was on some previous version, probably 2.1) and it still works. I didn't even see this warning screen about modchips with I was updating, so maybe they have a way to detect and disable chips if installed.

Zesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Its not at the bottom, its not at the top, its not on that board at all...You're right, this isnt ALOT, its NOTHING! If you dont care about it stop spreading rumors!
Then update on your own and stop crying about it. I hear stuff that happens to be true with some people, but not with others I can't decide. Oh and on the forum, must of been moved/deleted?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not 4th of July yet