Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if nintendo fry our chips they can be sued for damage to private property regardless of a visual warning that not all people have seen when they update it seems.

There is zero truth to this.

yes, i think that everyone has any right to sue nintendo if they cause damage to thier console!
I'm not talking about the right to sue, I'm talking about actually winning the case. As opposed to wasting your time and money. There is a reason why your warrentee is void when you open them up, its so that Nintendo is no longer liable for modifications of any kind.
What you're saying is like if you buy a car with a turbo and get an aftermarket programming to run more boost. Sure, that can indeed remove your warranty in case the turbo / engine should fail. but that doesn't give the dealership the right to blow your engine up next time you go in for some sort of service.

However, that said, there is an argument that when you buy the wii, you're not actually buying the equipment, but rather the right to use it, and that it still belongs to nintendo. If you go this route, then perhaps they're still indeed able to get away with this. But like said, it's still yet to be determined what a bricked wii as a result will be. I'm imagining it just won't work until the chip is removed, at least initially. That said, the modchip will probably need to be reprogrammed. Wonder if there's any "legality" issues with that.

edit: either way, the big picture is still more or less the same. as to whether we stand any positive foot in court, I don't know.. it doesn't look well what the purpose of such mod chips is anyway, especially since it's not "legal" in america. maybe you europeans / canadians will have better luck in that category, but I doubt it as well, unfortunately.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm not talking about the right to sue, I'm talking about actually winning the case. As opposed to wasting your time and money. There is a reason why your warrentee is void when you open them up, its so that Nintendo is no longer liable for modifications of any kind.

well i think the case is strong, nintendo are attempting to fry a modchip a piece of private property on your Wii, you can choose to do whatever you want with your wii when you buy it, there is no terms and conditions saying the hardware is still the property of ninetndo at all.

just like you can mod and alter your PC to upgrade the parts you can do what you wish to it.

Especially if they warn you first.

not all people got the warning message, read the topic properly, so those people if their wii fries after installing the new update they can sue most definitely for vandalism from nintendo.

QUOTE said:
OK, from what I've read, it's not safe to update as I can't update my chip afterwards. So what if I don't update? All I do is run BrickBlocker for all releases after today and that's it, right?

i presume so, i will be doing this from now on also, thank goodness for wii brick blocker
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Tomobobo @ Aug 7 2007, 10:00 AM)
For now it'd probably be safe to stay away from 3.0U/E/J until those of us with the update have had it for a while with no more problems.

i think thats is a wise choice, everyone who has not updated so far to stop updating and wait at least a week or 2 to see what happens next.

ImperialX

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, from what I've read, it's not safe to update as I can't update my chip afterwards. So what if I don't update? All I do is run BrickBlocker for all releases after today and that's it, right?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now it'd probably be safe to stay away from 3.0U/E/J until those of us with the update have had it for a while with no more problems.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone have any online games and still have 2.2u and can verify it still works online? i don't have anything that goes online

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Someone said that running GCOS then the WiiKey setup disc worked. Can anyone confirm this works on the WiiKey setup discs and various other update discs. I could see this being a problem for the modchips that update via the menu(i think there was one that did that right?)

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if someone wants to test gcos->wiikeyconfig, can you try changing some options and see if they actually take effect? I'm assuming the most noticable would be 3x vs 6x read

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
anyone have any online games and still have 2.2u and can verify it still works online? i don't have anything that goes online

i only have pokemon battle for online play and i don't go online that much at all (can't use my own dam pokemon thanks to the R4DS), i've just rembered that when you enter the wii shop channel it tells you before you progress you have to update to the latest firmware before you can view it, not that i use the wii shop channel anyway.

if someone wants to test gcos->wiikeyconfig, can you try changing some options and see if they actually take effect? I'm assuming the most noticable would be 3x vs 6x read

another problem i am concerned about, the wiikey modchip can read games at 3x and 6x the new update "speeds up loading times" meaning the disc speeds could have changed completely, this could mean that current games or future games could be affected with this new drive speed upgrade.

killer23d

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had to re-update mine because I pulled the plug on the initial update. It was taking too long... Then I received the "warning" message on the 2nd time, and I went through with the update.

I've tried a few games from RE4, CoD3, Prince of Persia, Mario Striker Charged, all load fines with WiiKey on 3.0U. I've yet to try online play.

I would say that's it's safe to run the update. Since WiiKey will not come out with an update for a while (if they do, they will find a way to boot the upgrade DVD), I dun think I would worry about the ability to run the set-up disc. I dun go online play that often, as long as my regular games play, I wil totally fine with this firmware update.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With 2.2E I can connect to WFC with mario striker without beeing rejected.
I didn't play online, just went to the score/friend screen.

Edit :
Could anyone retry WFC with 3.0 ?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is why I'm getting a Wii-Boss chip. You can update that chip directly using an external programmer. No need for setup discs.

Chronics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man i haven't been using my wii ever since the 2.2U update and left my wii on red light (off) for the longest time and my wiikey is still in there! my latest game would be SPM! man im out of date..i read through all 7 pages

so its safe to update to 3.0 to get all thsoe kool features?
but reccomended to wait to see..but according to many its safe to play back ups..improts..online..etc but only damage done to the wiiket is the wiikey set up diskgoing to now go throuh gcos, which isnt that big of a deal..but

AM i missing anything??? im really far far far away on the wii now, and i plan to play it again, since its summer and my job is giving me time to have some vacation and sick days xD

any help would be appericated! ty

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man i haven't been using my wii ever since the 2.2U update and left my wii on red light (off) for the longest time and my wiikey is still in there! my latest game would be SPM! man im out of date..i read through all 7 pages

so its safe to update to 3.0 to get all thsoe kool features?
but reccomended to wait to see..but according to many its safe to play back ups..improts..online..etc but only damage done to the wiiket is the wiikey set up diskgoing to now go throuh gcos, which isnt that big of a deal..but

AM i missing anything??? im really far far far away on the wii now, and i plan to play it again, since its summer and my job is giving me time to have some vacation and sick days xD

any help would be appericated! ty

If you're paranoid, wait a week or two. What good does the update do you if you're not playing your Wii anyway? No one is 100% positive that nothing negative in regards to modified consoles has come with this update other than the fact that the setup disks aren't working (which to me is a little fishy since they deal with the chips directly).

Plus, the features are, at best, cool. I mean, you get a clock and a spinning disk icon. Other than that it's nothing big at all.

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The question was asked 2 Times, but none answered them:

Did anyone with a Wiinja Deluxe update successfully???

I got a Pal Console with 2.2E with the wiinja.

I will update as soon as anyone confirmed its ok!

Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5