Hardware Wii-Clip discount for GBAtempers

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Im sure one of your mates has one. If you are in the US, then stick to US games
How many games come out in PAL before NTSC? 1 or 2 every couple of months?

If you are burning games, just use region free before you burn it, takes 2 seconds

phistyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the only import game that i was looking forward to play is Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 2....
smile.gif

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ozmodchips.com sent out my order within like 2 hours of receiving the funds via paypal. Very friendly service before and after the sale as well, A1. Have only heard good things about them and now I know why.

The order was sent out this past Monday en route to Ontario Canada, which means it'll be travelling ~11,325 miles to get here. I'll report back when it arrives in case there's any other Canucks ordering that would like an estimate for delivery time.

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I ordered my Clip with D2CKey on monday (GMT+1) and they shipped it on Tuesday. Pretty fast, considering there is about 11 hours time difference.
I could not get the parcel tracking on the Australia Post site to work, but I expect my package to arrive het in Holland on Monday.
This would give me a few days to install the clip before we leave on a short vacation.

I'll keep y'all updated on the delivery and my installation effords.
I might even throw in a few photo's.

Unfortunately I found out I don't have a PH000 screwdriver when I searched through my tools last night. Need to pick one up at the hardware store
dry.gif

Grmbl, I found a PH000 at a hardware discounter yesterday, but when I came home, it did not fit.
A friendly warning to everyone who needs to buy one: Make sure that the PH000 head is not too pointy. The screws on the WII are shallow, and a pointy screwdriver will not fit properly. Unless the screws are very tight, this one will work for me, but it's not a great fit. (Darn thing cost me 13 euro's but at least I have a set of PH000 to PH1 and torks too)

Cheers,

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Secondly, a warning about other resellers:
OzModChips are official D2Ckey resellers. D2Ckey is a super stable high wire count modchip that is made from high quality components. There is a clone product called he D2CPro that other resellers are bundling this with. The D2Cpro (not to be confused with the D2pro) is a Clone of the D2Ckey. We urge you not to support clones as they are simpley not for the couple of bucks you save. Clones are non-upgradable, and are made in factories that cut corners left right and center. Think or it this way....If you go to Thailand and want to buy a fake handbag that retails for $1500, would you spend $1490 on the fake? No, you would buy the real one as $10 is not worth it when you can get quality workmanship for only $10 more. Thats all we are talking about here if you get the D2Cpro, a saving of $5 to $10 bucks.... not worth the hassle!

Thats a terrible comparison:(

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi
Just letting everyone know that Argon and D2pro versions are coming soon
We are not accepting pre-orders, we will get them, test the shit outta them, and then allow you to order when they are 100% ready.
Its the only way to do it
thanks

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The reviews have all been good on GBATemp and other sites that sell the Wii-Clip but over at another big forum there seems to be quite a few people who are claiming their Wii-Clip/D2C solutions aren't working for backups. IMO it's probably because the clip isn't seated properly in some of those cases and isn't making proper contact with all 29 pins.

Some have said that the first-time installation will be the 'tightest' and that it's generally not good to re-seat the Clip too many times after that. Others have claimed that using a couple dabs of hot-glue after a successful install is a good idea to ensure the clip doesn't come de-seated over time due to bumps or handling. Whether this is because of the clip itself or the lower overall experience level of people at maxconsole remains to be seen.

I've been told that you should feel some good resistance when installing the clip and that it's a sign of a proper, snug install.

I haven't seen a definitive fail proof install method for these as of yet, but the official wii-clip site says:

"OK, plug your WII-CLIP onto the D2C chipset, and press it down until you can feel it have clip the D2C chipset very well, maybe you can hear one very slight "click" sound too, and please check your PCB side view to make sure the WII-CLIP plastic case is almost reach PCB already, then mean it's install complete and connect well. This is the most important step!"

Do you have any installation tips to add to this Oz? (Or anyone else who's done it successfully)

I'll post a video or picture report when mine gets here this week.

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really hear a click
But you should check all four sides to make sure they are all the way down
Make sure you test it before taping it all down. Maybe I should write my own little guide.

I good thing about the presoldered ones are they are all individually tested on a Wii, booting a backup....so the chance of it not working when it arrives is very very slim.

If the product doesn't work - dont keep taking it on and off all day as its just going to wreak the pins on the IC.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OzModChips said:
Make sure you test it before taping it all down. Maybe I should write my own little guide.

I good thing about the presoldered ones are they are all individually tested on a Wii, booting a backup....so the chance of it not working when it arrives is very very slim.

If the product doesn't work - dont keep taking it on and off all day as its just going to wreak the pins on the IC.

well for the clip installation, is it better to center the clip over the ic and push down equally on all sides at once -or- align the pins of one side and then push that side down on a slight angle, followed by the other sides?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
rhyguy said:
QUOTE said:
Secondly, a warning about other resellers:
OzModChips are official D2Ckey resellers. D2Ckey is a super stable high wire count modchip that is made from high quality components. There is a clone product called he D2CPro that other resellers are bundling this with. The D2Cpro (not to be confused with the D2pro) is a Clone of the D2Ckey. We urge you not to support clones as they are simpley not for the couple of bucks you save. Clones are non-upgradable, and are made in factories that cut corners left right and center. Think or it this way....If you go to Thailand and want to buy a fake handbag that retails for $1500, would you spend $1490 on the fake? No, you would buy the real one as $10 is not worth it when you can get quality workmanship for only $10 more. Thats all we are talking about here if you get the D2Cpro, a saving of $5 to $10 bucks.... not worth the hassle!

Thats a terrible comparison:(
Yeah, it's almost like saying, "would you like a fake for free or a real one for $10?" The proportions are way off. $10 difference isn't much when buying an expensive handbag but it is in buying a $40 modchip.

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, bad example, i will fix it soon.

D2Ckey is upgradeable. Is that not worth 10 bucks?

I will get a user in here that had to drive to my place and pay $80 for a wiikey install when SMG came out, because the installer they went to (who charged $60) installed a clone. They will be able to tell you how they loved saving a couple of bucks the first time around.

Your wii is modded once, and it lasts 3~5 years. $10 is not a lot.

queenaudio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OzModChips said:

Hopefully mine will arrive this week, looking forward to giving it a go. When you install the clip Oz, do you just put a piece of tape over it to hold it in place and maybe the actual d2ckey too instead of using the piece of card that comes with it? Thanks! G.

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi
you can put a piece of tape neatly on 3 sides
There are 2 LEDs on the D2ckey you can use to see what your d2ckey is doing without opening your console, so try not to open them
The aim of the game is to make sure nothing is going to short out when you close it, but also to maintain some good airflow. putting a blanket over your whole DVD drive probably wont be good in the long term

Sold out now, next batch is on its way.
I personally soldered 50 of them. 2 out of the 50 did not work first go. 48/50 did

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OzModChips said:
Hi
you can put a piece of tape neatly on 3 sides
There are 2 LEDs on the D2ckey you can use to see what your d2ckey is doing without opening your console, so try not to open them
The aim of the game is to make sure nothing is going to short out when you close it, but also to maintain some good airflow. putting a blanket over your whole DVD drive probably wont be good in the long term

Sold out now, next batch is on its way.
I personally soldered 50 of them. 2 out of the 50 did not work first go. 48/50 did

nice, 96% success rate is probably way better tha a d2ckey manual/wired install, especially ones that are done by beginner/intermediate solderers
smile.gif

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The wiiclip actually has 'teeth' or 'grooves' for each pin - which is a good way to make sure nothing moves.
What I found, which is why the pins on one of my drives got bent and one broke.....is that if you don't align it perfect the first go, you can bend these little teeth. If that happens, when you are trying to clamp the wiiclip down it will just put unnecessary downward pressure on the pins that aren't need for D2ckey communication.

Not much you can do about it - just try and do it right the first time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox