Wii Can't Read Discs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by sjones900, Dec 10, 2011.

Dec 10, 2011

Wii Can't Read Discs by sjones900 at 7:33 PM (681 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. sjones900
    OP

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    I bought a wii second hand from someone for like 20 bucks, but the thing is that it can't read any games. I've opened it up and cleaned the laser lense with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton q-tip, but that didn't quite fix the problem. Is it dead? Or maybe requires some further care? The DVD drive does seem a lot louder than others. Like when you first power on the wii and churns if there's no disc, it's quite pronounced in this wii. If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Does it give a disc read error? Are you able to browse a disc from WiiXplorer?

3. sjones900
    OP

United States
    If I put a regular game in and wait for it to load, it blacks out and says "an error has occurred, please eject the disc and power off the console. Refer to the manual for details." But after observing more closely with the case off. It appears the laser fixture does not move at all. It can read, but the laser cannot move to scan the rest of the disc.

4. JoostinOnline

United States
    What about WiiXplorer.

5. sjones900
    OP

United States
    I can't get it to browse the dvd. I typed dvd:/ and wiidisk:/ but the drive doesn't spin up. I don't know if it's apart of the problem or an error on my part.

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    Well if WiiXplorer doesn't read discs and they aren't scratched (they aren't, are they?), I'd say you need a new disc drive. However, I suggest you wait for other people to respond first, since I may be missing something. The past 24 hours have been very stressful.

7. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Well I realized that wiixplorer wasn't mounting the disc because of missing ios' but that didn't really help me solve the problem. Now that I'm able to attempt to mount it obviously fails. It seems like it's reading just fine, but then it starts making this clicking noise. I might make a video later to clarify what I mean exactly.

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    Create a SysCheck with the guide in my signature. I want to see what you have installed.

9. sjones900
    OP

United States
    My SysCheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    I see you used BrickMyWii to install everything. Why didn't you use the latest version of SysCheck?

11. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Uh.. I was just under the impression that either would do. I can run it again under version 2 if you'd like. But regardless this isn't a software issue. I just recently bannerbombed this wii this morning, and it had the same disc reading issue before, with no hacks or mods. But I do have USB up and running.. which is something, I guess.

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    No, as stated in the guide you should use the newer version and only fall back to others if it freezes. You don't need to run it again, but posting the alternative version threw me off.

I didn't realize the problem existed before you hacked it. Btw, you should rehack your Wii with ModMii if you ever run into problems with USB. BrickMyWii has a history for screwing things up, plus your cIOS setup is bad.

Btw, are you playing retail discs?

13. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Yes I am playing retail discs only at this point. I don't have it set up for backups outside of USB loaders. I only have 1 game it's house of the dead 1 and 2, but it can't possibly be the game since it's not even scratched. I'm gonna work the ios and cios stuff later, I just ran brickmywii just to get a lot of it out of the way.

-edit-
    It seems that there's nothing left I can do to repair the drive. It's just going to have to replaced, which thankfully isn't too expensive these days. I was really hoping that I would get lucky and just get a dusty drive, not the case at all. If I were to guess, it looks as if this wii took a tumble.