Question about Gamecube not reading disks.

ClassyDragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently imported a gamecube from Japan along with 2 Japanese games. Everything appears to be in great condition, however upon starting the system it seemingly cannot read either of the games I bought.

I've verified that the disk does spin for a few seconds so I assumed that the optical laser might be the issue. However I was watching a laser replacement tutorial and noticed that their Gamecube had a red error message saying "An error has occurred" implying that it knows a disc is there yet can't read it, while mine doesn't show any errors, it just says "NO DISC" on the Gameplay menu.

I would like to avoid buying an entire optical drive replacement if it really is just the laser that needs replaced but I'm not sure if anyone could tell me which is more likely. I appreciate any help and let me know if you need more info! Thank you :)

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recently imported a gamecube from Japan along with 2 Japanese games. Everything appears to be in great condition, however upon starting the system it seemingly cannot read either of the games I bought.

I've verified that the disk does spin for a few seconds so I assumed that the optical laser might be the issue. However I was watching a laser replacement tutorial and noticed that their Gamecube had a red error message saying "An error has occurred" implying that it knows a disc is there yet can't read it, while mine doesn't show any errors, it just says "NO DISC" on the Gameplay menu.

I would like to avoid buying an entire optical drive replacement if it really is just the laser that needs replaced but I'm not sure if anyone could tell me which is more likely. I appreciate any help and let me know if you need more info! Thank you :)
It seems like your laser is having a hard time reading your discs. You need to re-adjust the pot trim on the laser.

Reactions: ClassyDragon

ClassyDragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like your laser is having a hard time reading your discs. You need to re-adjust the pot trim on the laser.
Thank you for the quick response! I'll give it a try! I have to go get the correct screwdriver to open it up but I'll update the thread when I get to it :)

I adjusted the potentiometer to about 470 ohms and a few other values between 450-600 since it's a DOL-001 and still no dice. I attached a video of the startup. Would this likely be a bad laser?

Attachments

• 20231015_194559.mp4
    43 MB
  • 20231015_194956.jpg
    20231015_194956.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited by ClassyDragon,
Reactions: SylverReZ

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick response! I'll give it a try! I have to go get the correct screwdriver to open it up but I'll update the thread when I get to it :)

I adjusted the potentiometer to about 470 ohms and a few other values between 450-600 since it's a DOL-001 and still no dice. I attached a video of the startup. Would this likely be a bad laser?
Laser still powers on, so I wouldn't really say "bad laser" immediately.

I'd try recapping the disc drive PCB first before calling bad laser.

https://console5.com/store/gamecube-optical-drive-pcb-cap-kit-revs-1-4.html

If you do end up recapping, make sure to adjust the laser pot to a higher resistance, otherwise you may potentially burn it out quicker and the recap would be all for naught.

If recapping still doesn't work, luckily a new laser is pretty cheap. Don't know what kind of quality they're making them, though.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805428410551.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste