Hacking Wii Brick, need some out of the box thinking

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's the situation. (There's a lot of stupidity in here, and I've already beat myself up over it.)

I have a US NTSC Wii bought in December 2006.

This week I used waninkoko's program to downgrade my IOS so that I could get wad manager to work. Everything was working fine, but then I tried to play punchout and it wanted me to do an update. I stupidly said yes b/c I didn't have the internet connection active and I figured that if it couldn't find the internet it would just skip the update (stupid move). So anyway, it updated anyway, from the disc I suppose, and now my Wii is fully bricked. No video, no sound.
I can get into bootmii, but unfortunately I never made a NAND backup (I wasn't aware of this option until after the fact).

So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to recover my system's functionality given that I can get into bootmii. I tried going to the homebrew channel through bootmii but it won't load.

Is it possible for me to launch some kind of program from the SD card using bootmii that will let me do any kind of software changes/repairs?

Note: The Wii is not modded or anything, it only had changes to the software.

To reiterate, I guess one of the big questions I have is this:
Given that I can't open the homebrew channel from bootmii (when I try it just gives me a corrupted screen), is there any other way I can launch an application using bootmii, such as from the SD card? And if I can launch an app in this way, is there anything I can do to save my system.

If not, then I'm probably screwed and I'll have to send to Nintendo? But if there is still a way for me to run some software that could allow me to try reinstalling the IOS or something, then maybe there's something that can be done. But I just don't know.

I'm willing to try anything short of opening up the system. I don't want to mess with the actual hardware because then Nintendo might not actually fix the system for me.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I assume the Punch Out was a PAL version - else why would you have the black screen etc? Your options are limited - if you have access to an original gamecube controller you could try savemiifree - however even then all you can do is wait until a newer update comes out (perhaps NTSC conduit). If you had a modchip you might have had the option to make an autoboot disc with any region changer to install the correct system menu for your wii but you have not mentioned one so I have assumed otherwise.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't mind losing your save data:
Put bootmii on a friend's wii and get a NAND dump from them.

http://bootmii.org/nandflash

Then go there, and look under "The Offer". He can make the NAND dump compatible with your wii.

Although, something I else I wonder. In bootmii, what is the SD card thing for? The third option. Can you boot files off there? In which case you could just use anyregionchanger.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Get cBoot2 running. And with that try to install the correct system menu in WAD Manager. If that does not work, try AnyRegion Changer(requires wifi). Also AnyRegion Changer may require a trucha capable IOS36, use my Trucha Bug Restorer to get one then.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Get cBoot2 running. And with that try to install the correct system menu in WAD Manager. If that does not work, try AnyRegion Changer(requires wifi). Also AnyRegion Changer may require a trucha capable IOS36, use my Trucha Bug Restorer to get one then.

It's not a semi-brick, just another stub ios installation case...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:

Ah ok. Then it's required to boot WAD Manager with cBoot2 uninstall the system menu IOS first and then install it. You can't just downgrade it, but cBoot2's cIOS will allow to delete the IOS, so it's not a problem.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DAMN n00bs flooding our forums with bricks but i see you've already beaten yourself up for me
tongue.gif
(sorry)
bootmii contains a .elf boot function (put a .elf such as the hack me installer on the root of your sd card and go into bootmii then go to the sd card icon and scroll down and click it, reinstall the homebrew channel and if you can then use the homebrew channel, use waninkokos updater or anyregion changer to update your wiis firmware to whatever
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:

Ah ok. Then it's required to boot WAD Manager with cBoot2 uninstall the system menu IOS first and then install it. You can't just downgrade it, but cBoot2's cIOS will allow to delete the IOS, so it's not a problem.

Well no need to install system menu, he just needs the correct version of IOS 50 to fix his wii...

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I put cBoot2 on my SD card, per WiiBlaster's suggestion. When I turned on the Wii, I got this weird kind of vertical flickering of some text and then it just spontaneously went to the regular start screen like normal. I went into the Homebrew channel from the system menu, then when I exited the homebrew channel, the screen stayed black. So I had to power off the system and turn it on again. When I did this it did the same thing with the screen flickering some line of text that I couldn't make out and then going to the main menu like normal.

So the good news is that things seem to be kind of working now. Obviously there's still some problems, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, and since I screwed things up so much to begin with I'm worried that if I try to fix things I might just make things worse.

Not sure what to do from here.

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I was talking about the IOS, read again what i wrote.

Thanks everyone.

So what are the proper steps for installing a good IOS 50 at this point?

Also, I've now discovered that the screen goes black and I have to restart the system every time I try to return to the main menu. For example, if I enter the mii channel and try to go back to the main menu, or if I play a game and then try to go back to the main menu, etc. So it wasn't just from going into the homebrew channel as I initially thought, it's actually a more systemic issue.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I guess you put wadmanager's dol into the sd root as boot.dol....

Download IOS 50 (v4889) using latest NUSD, put it into wad folder on the sd...

Assuming you have working cboot2, booting up your wii will take you to the wadmanager, then install the IOS 50 you downloaded...

Things will not get worse since cboot2 is not a permanent hack... it's a custom boot2 loaded on the fly...

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:

Assuming you have working cboot2, booting up your wii will take you to the wadmanager, then install the IOS 50 you downloaded...

Things will not get worse since cboot2 is not a permanent hack... it's a custom boot2 loaded on the fly...

Strange, when I put in wadmanager in the SD root as boot.dol it just does the exact same thing it did before. I get the weird text flicker on start up, and then it just goes to the health warning screen and then the system menu as usual. ??

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:

Okay, I used NUSD and downloaded the following file:

0000000100000032-NUS-v4889.wad (IOS50)

Do I need to un-install anything first, or is it safe to just try going into wad manager and installing the above file?

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys have been great. But I still need a little bit more of your guidance. I'm still stuck at the above point, which is: cBoot2 has the curious affect of allowing me to get to the system menu (not sure why, but it does), but I can't get back to the system menu once I've launched a particular channel; so to get into a new channel I basically have to reboot the whole system. So, while my Wii still functions, there's still something very weird going on.
I'm afraid to make my next move lest I do anything to screw things up even more.
Should I just try to install the IOS50 file mentioned above? Do I need to uninstall something first before I do that? What the safest way to go here?

Thanks again in advance for everyone's help :-)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy, why are you soo sure it's missing system menu IOS? The fact that he can get into the system menu with cBoot2 and the graphical glitches indicate a wrong region system menu to me.

In that case you would need to reinstall the system menu from the correct region and the correct version.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't something be wrong with an IOS if he couldn't boot it up before he used cboot2 though? Because it would have booted up before to a flickering screen after he updated, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: do those vacuum cleaner bots even do anything than letting cats have free rides?