Hacking Wii black screen strikes on Christmas day

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mguys I need some help real big no joke. So I was having trouble running gamecube backups on my 4.1U FW wii which I had softmodded from an nsmb disc. Everything else worked fine but I decided since my backups for gc worked on 3.2U and not 4.1U that I should downgrade to 3.2U which I had already done in the past with a semi bricked wii same wii. I had alrdy installed the ios60.wad file required in order to do it and I had preloaded installed b4 obviously because inhad unbricked I b4. So now I don't get I because preoloader isn't loading on my unresponsive black screen if hell wii. Unless I'm loading it wrong because the way I tried when I erred my wii was press power button on and then quickly hold reset. But I hear that I have to hold reset button in advance. Anyway it isn't a problem with the bluetoothe module because I can turn my wii on with the original remotes themselves i don't remebr how mny lights flashes when I turnit on. But I am almost positive it is two like normal. The only wierd thing is seeing as how I alrdy installed the ios60.wad and hav installed cioscorp and preloader why that when I used te systemmenu3.2U.wad file I had which worked perfectly before is now the reason I'm screwed over. I installed and got a perfec succes installation but it froze for 10 mins and I'm like eff this son and hard shut off my wii and then turned it on again and there you have it here i am. Quck replies and help would be appreciated please. It's christmas o can't belies my day ended like this.....

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't think quiet wrong the IOS60.wad you installed does not work with systemmenu 4.X and therefor you bricked it. But do you have Bootmii as boot2 on it?

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Im pretty sure that 3.2 needs IOS30 and not IOS60.

IOS 60 is for 4.0/4.1 so you dont have a working IOS for your system menu 3.2 so you could be totally screwed
Installing a new system menu also will erase preloader so it will be unavailable now

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have bootmii installed as boot2? Did you make a backup of your NAND when your Wii was in a working state? If so, just restore the NAND. If not, hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Anyway, if you get it working again, it probably wasn't 4.1 causing GC games to not run, but the CIOS version. Rev15 wouldn't run GC games on my Wii, but installing rev13 or rev14 brought it back. If you do get your Wii working again, try that.

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Darunia said:
Are you saying you did the update that came with NSMB? If so you now have boot2v4, which screws up downgrading. Bushing wrote an article about it over on hackmii http://hackmii.com/2009/08/timing-is-every...e-wii/#more-654
I'm afraid this doesn't really help you though.

I dont see him mention NSMB..... Where did you get that from????.. The fact he installed the WRONG IOS for the 3.2 system menu seems to be the problem. He now has system menu 3.2 and no supporting IOS to load it. He also has no preloader because of the system menu install and no bootmii either by the looks of it

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
I concur, sounds like this guy is fucked, he mentions NSMB in very first line, probably upgraded from it, then tried to downgrade to system menu 3.2 without installing correct IOS30 to run system menu from, also i dunno if he is a natural english speaker but it makes little to no sense reading what he has wrote.

Preloader will no longer load because the system menu will have overwritten it as per above, most likely never had bootmii in first place since he doesnt mention it, however the good news is he does have a nice shiny new paperweight =)

Best bet if you still have box is to return it to Nintendo saying it died on Nintendo update to 4.2.

Also if you expect help, write clear eligible English in structured sentences explaining exactly what you did!

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
leondmsmith said:
I concur, sounds like this guy is fucked, he mentions NSMB in very first line,

Wasnt getting he upgraded from it just that he had softmodded from a NSMB disc. I thought it was maybe just another version of the twilight hack I had not known about (I only heard of the lego indy one a few days ago)..

Still doesnt solve his problem though...

Not such a Merry Christmas then

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah lmao sounds like I am fucked ye I am a natural English speaker it was just 2 o'clock in the morning and was using my iPhone to type and I wa going super fast so yeah my bad about all the errors in it lmao. Umm yeah how do I know if I have bootmii installed cause I do believe I have it installed because there was a time when I wanted a custom menu theme on my wii and I semi bricked it and the guide mentioned installing bootmii or so I believe. So let's just say I have bootmii. What should I do.

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh btw my cios version was rev14 so i dont understand why everytime i loaded a gamecube game normally it shouldve worked and didnt

Posts merged

Oh btw quick question, at a local gamestop close to my house they are selling used wii's for 139.99$ im assuming there is no hope so should i get one from there?

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have bootmii boot2 (which is pretty much all that could save you), it would start up automatically as long as the correct files are on your sd card. If you want to check if you have bootmii, try taking out your SD card and turning the wii on.

The wii disc drive will flash blue if you have bootmii.

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao the disc drive does flash blue so if that is true then that must mean that i have bootmii! Someone help me!

Posts merged

lmao the disc drive does flash blue so if that is true then that must mean that i have bootmii! Someone help me!

Posts merged

Ok alexcalibur i just checked right now i took out my sd card and i turned my wii on and it flashe blue right when i turned it on for a quick sec. the disc drive flashed blue. So does this mean that i have bootmii?

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO GUYS COME ON HELP ME OUT I NEED TO KNOW IF IM SCREWED BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE BOOTMII! PLEASE!

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you ever made a NAND backup?????

If you had bootmii installed then you should have an SD card somewhere with the bootmii files on it that you need to insert in order to run bootmii

LexLuthor

Trophies
XP
Country
Put the files from this folder on the root of your SD.
http://www.zshare.net/download/6146090337b0aa6b/

Put it in your Wii and turn your Wii on.
If it goes to the BootMii menu screen on your Wii you could be in luck.
If nothing happens, it flashes or just doesnt go to the Bootmii menu then you are most probably fucked.
Sorry.

Let people know if you get to the Bootmii menu and I or someone else might be albe to help you out.
Fingers crossed.

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think i have the correct files required in order to have bootmii automatically start up. were may i obtain these files and a guide on how to recover my wii seeing as how i think i have bootmii now.

Posts merged

lmao sorry lex i didnt see your post alrite im downloading the files. ima try this out asap and post asap lmao fingers crossed thnx guys.

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
I installed BootMii/boot2, but it doesn't come up when I boot my Wii.

Try booting with no SD card inserted. If you see a brief set of flashes from the blue slot LED right after you hit the power button, try a different SD card. Make sure you have a directory named "bootmii" with the "armboot.bin" and "ppcboot.elf" files inside.
If you do not see those flashes, BootMii/boot2 is not installed.

It is a SET of flashes not just one (Im sure thats standard as I get a blue flash when I switch mine on and dont have bootmii installed anywhere)

Zenvor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i dont have a chance to use my wii yet because my parents are using the tv. But when i was researching this problem i was also wondering about those recovery discs. Do they work? Do i need bootmii installed to make them work? idk and also i heard something called savemiifrii. Can anyone brief me on what those do and their requirements?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock