Homebrew Wii Stuck at black screen after installing prerelease system menu

WolfyBoy104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. This is my first post so if I i say something incorrect, please correct me. So I have a black wii that I had homebrewed for fun. I decided to install games directly to the menu, but got sidetracked when I saw on my computer, a iso of the prerelease system menu. I thought it would be fun to see that menu running on it. I never even thought about it getting bricked or It permanently being stuck with that menu. (the startup disc for it hadn't been dumped yet either.) I installed it and was met with a dreaded black screen. I thought it was a connection issue and replugged the cables, to no avail. I tried an entire different cable and still a black screen. I eventually gave up and decided, it wasn't worth troubleshooting for nothing to happen, and left it. Now I am a few years older and want to come back and see what I can do with others help and I came here! Also when I gave up, I had repurposed the SD card, which was probably a stupid idea, and now no longer has any folders like the letterbomb hack or the bootmii folder. Before this, the wii had a few miis, photos and a couple game saves, and homebrew and bootmii stuff. Though I never used bootmii cause the wii remote would never connect while I was in there. The wii does boot too with the fan, lights and everything, but no signal was detected. If you need more details or can help, please reply. Thank You!

(edit: by the way, i also used wii mod lite to install)

Last edited by WolfyBoy104,
  • Haha
Reactions: JuanMena

NotSoSuperMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have priiloader/preloader installed ?

You can check by pressing the power button and then holding down the reset button.

If you do have priiloader/preloader get an SD card and format it to fat32 and create a folder called apps and download WiiModLite ,priiloader installer and SaveGame ManagerGX and put them into the apps folder. After this create a folder called wads. Then you will need to obtain a system menu wad. You can get this wad with modmii or nus downloader (make sure the system menu wad matches your region - eu = Europe , j = Japan , us = United states , and k = Korean). Once you have obtained the wad add it to the wad folder. Once you have done this launch priiloader and select the homebrew channel it should boot. This next step is optional but you can do it if you want to make sure the save data is safe or transfer it to another console. Launch SaveGame ManagerGX and select the SD card icon at the top of the screen. Then select Wii. You should see a screen with all your save data. You then click on each icon and select Extract>Default>ok. This should copy the save data to the SD card in a folder called savegames. Then do the same for each and every game. After this select the SD card icon at the top of the screen and select MII and do the same as with the save data. The miis should be copied to a folder called savemiis. After you have successfully backed up your data launch WiiModLite and install the system menu wad. Once it has successfully installed go back to the homebrew channel and launch the priiloader installer and reinstall priiloader. Then return to the system menu and hopefully it will be there.

If you do not have priiloader. Find the bootmii folders online and add them to the root of your SD card. Then put the SD card in the Wii and turn it on and hope you see bootmii because if you do not you are out of luck. If you do see the bootmii menu press the power button once then the reset button (as the Wii mote will not work) or use a GameCube controller to select the homebrew channel. Once the homebrew channel works repeat the same steps as above.

If the homebrew channel does not load on either method you will not be able to recover it with this method.

There is another method that requires a GameCube controller and a copy of any Wii game released after June 2010. First connect the GameCube controller into port 4. Then hold down all four directions on the dpad (can be done by opening it or using a modified controller) and press the power button you should enter the recovery men (you can tell as their should be a number followed by a letter). Then insert the game and wait and it should update the system menu and hopefully it will work.

Last edited by NotSoSuperMan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto