Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
I'll provide separate downloads for the language files in future because accent characters from Spanish, French etc. get replaced by Chinese characters on those systems.

I can't reproduce the problem in XP, but it also causes an exception when loading these files for some people. Simply removing the accents from the filenames, or deleting the language files that you don't need will fix it.

If you really need to use the languages with accents characters on a Chinese system, you can try this..

In XP, go to control panel - regional and language - advanced tab - language for non-Unicode programs - change this setting to English.

In Win7, control panel - regional and language - administrative tab - language for non-Unicode programs - change this setting to English.

Obviously if I can fully fix this it won't matter, but this will solve the problems for now..

fred bloggs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fig2k4 said:
@fred bloggs
I haven't put any thought into startup options, but that could be quite handy. Setting a default drive to mount and maybe a default folder to load in the files list etc. I really need to fix the temp folder option so it can use a relative path too..

Looking forward to the next release !

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fig2k4 said:
The size difference is normal if..

1. Drive 1 is a larger WBFS drive
2. Drive 2 is either FAT32/NTFS or a smaller WBFS drive..

I mentioned a while ago about having more size columns which could show the real size and the "size on disk" similar to the way Windows shows the file sizes. It will take longer to get these sizes from WBFS files and drives when mounting them though..

Ah that explains it, drive 1 is a larger drive.

Also, I didn't have any problems running the latest beta in win7 ultimate 64bit (American English
tongue.gif
).

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DGenerateKane said:
Also, I didn't have any problems running the latest beta in win7 ultimate 64bit (American English
tongue.gif
).

Same here. Not sure where the other guy's problems are coming from. Though I haven't actually tried transfering anything with it, I can run it and enter the options and exit just fine.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Thanks for that, it'll save me losing some hair over finding the x64 problems.
smile.gif

Some people in the past have had problems caused by extracting to an old version's folder. I've no idea why, but deleting the settings.ini file has helped before so it could be worth a try.

I did notice a bug. If the settings.ini file is read only (or just can't be written to), then the app doesn't terminate. I'll fix that. Make sure the files aren't read only and always remember to check the log for any errors.

@Knocks
I checked the custom-titles.txt in CFG 53a and it works as it should. You need at least 52b2 to use the file named as custom-titles in the USB-Loader (base) folder.

I did forget to encode the custom titles to UTF-8 strings though, so some characters might be missing. It's fixed for beta 2.

waterpile

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I found a bug,

I am using a NTFS drive for the first time and just copied over my folders and wanted to use your tool to rename them to proper titles using WiiTDB and Title [GameID].
I loaded the drive and choose "NTFS/FAT32->Update storage convention".
But it seems to use the Title instead of the game ID, for instance it renamed a folder "Endless Ocean [Endles]". And that isn't seen by Configurable USB Loader,
if I transfer them over to the drive again, it uses the right name "Endless Ocean [RFBE01]".
I had hoped to save time by renaming all the folders I had already transferred without doing it by hand.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Obviously a bug. Can you tell me what the original filename was?

eg. wbfs\Endless Ocean.wbfs

Edit:
Another way you can do this is to use "Tools->Titles->Rename all". That will definitely use the titles instead of getting confused with the original filenames.

The update storage convention function tries to reuse the file and folder names. It also uses the text file to get the title if it exists when there's no folder. But none of this will work correctly if the disc wasn't transferred using one of the correct conventions. The rename all should fix the filenames so that Update storage convention will work thereafter.

I'll need to figure out the best way to avoid this situation..

waterpile

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention I'm not coming from .wbfs, but from folders with .iso files. I moved them to the drive and realized I had to reformat all the titles to include the GameID. (Didn't know I should've used this manager)

So the original was something like: \wbfs\Endless_Ocean_USA\wii-endlessocean.iso. and makes sense why why it broke your parsing.

thanks for the tip, using "Tools->Titles->Rename all" worked.
and thanks for the fast reply! (I just finished making a python script to do it, but this is more complete). Somehow I didn't realize rename all worked on the ntfs drive not just inside the program.

To avoid the situation, I'd just use the current title that would be used for "rename all" instead of reusing the old name for "Update storage convention".
The reason I ran into the error was because I was thining naming convention, not storage as in wbfs->ntfs. I should have tried the rename option though.
So would it be a problem to just generate the new name instead of reusing the old one?

On a side note, I found the new titles kinda amusing: Super_Super_Mario_Galaxy.txt

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I see what happened now. I didn't take the extra folder into consideration.
\wbfs\Endless_Ocean_USA\wii-endlessocean.iso

It's the "Endless_Ocean_USA" folder that causes the problem, where "\wbfs\wii-endlessocean.iso" would work OK. I need to add another check to see if the folder does actually contain the ID. If it doesn't, then ignore the folder and just use the internal titles, or the WiiTDB/Custom titles if enabled.

There's a few reasons for reusing the existing titles from the file and folder names. For example, imagine you'd spent hours renaming all the folders manually, then you discover the "Update Storage Convention" in WBM. If I only used the titles.txt, all the manually renamed stuff would be lost instantly. Or if I load up a new version where the titles are disabled, all the previous titles in the filenames would be lost again, forcing the user to enabled the titles and "rename all" to get them back.

That's the major difference between the renaming and update storage convention. Renaming uses the titles (Original/WiiTDB/Custom) to rename everything, where update the storage convention just restructures and renames the files/folders using the existing names where possible.

I sure the final check for the ID that I mentioned would fix this..

Edit:
I fixed that with the simple valid ID check, now even names like "\wbfs\ldhflkjl\lkjdlksd.iso" will work with the update storage convention, basically any old crap as long as the ISO or WBFS is valid.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Found a bug in 0.3.5 beta 1

If you go into the settings menu and hide any drives they will be hidden.
Now if you close settings out and go back into settings and try to unhide the drives it does not let you unhide the hidden drives.

Only way around it was to delete the settings.ini file

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I haven't been able to work on this for a few days. My daughter downloads the biggest load of crap around and got infected with a virus. It spread though the network and messed up everything. Well, it just did some annoying stuff like blocking most websites etc. and kept putting an autorun file on usb drives trying to spread further. I spent 2 days trying to find the source, but it's a tricky little fooker. Even file/registry monitors show no sign of it, or when the files get created on the usb drives. No joy there, so I just ended up doing a fresh Windows install on the machines. So much for anti-viruses and firewalls, that's all I can say about that..

@icpmattj
It's obviously something I overlooked when adding the cached drive lists. I'll fix it ASAP.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was setting up some hard drives for some people and i used the latest beta version and the previous 0.3.4 and neither one of them would format a drive to fat32.It said it formatted but it actually stayed the same which was ntfs which was formatted through windows.

I didn't have time to try other versions or time to try anything else so i used some other program to format it to fat32.

Both drives were 1TB

drive 1

partition 1 465GB
partition 2 466GB

drive 2
partition 1 630GB
partition 2 301GB

All partitions were formatted to ntfs through windows and then formatted through wiibackup manager.Partiton 1 on both drives were supposed to be fat32 but wiibackup manager would not format them to fat32.It said it did but they stayed NTFS

partition 2 on both drives were formatted to wbfs through wiibackup manager and work fine.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
The in-line editing of GameID, Game title and Original title is a bit frustrating.

First, it is quite easy to click on the Game title and enter the in-line editing mode accidentally, which then change the Original title to the Game title when leaving the mode, even I do no editing.

Suggestion : Double-click to enter in-line editing mode instead of only single-click. In-line editing mode for Game title should only affect the custom title file. Introduce in-line editing mode for Original title separately.

Second, it is not possible to ONLY change the GameID without changing the Original title. This means whenever I change a GameID, the Original title will also changed to Game title even I don't want it to.

Would you please take a look ? Thanks !

fred bloggs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fig2k4 said:
@fred bloggs
I haven't put any thought into startup options, but that could be quite handy. Setting a default drive to mount and maybe a default folder to load in the files list etc. I really need to fix the temp folder option so it can use a relative path too..

Any idea on when you might implement this ?
grog.gif

toleranse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read through the majority of the thread and can't seem to find any posts with anyone having a similar problem as I am with this application so here goes.

I have been using WBFS Manager 3.0 to copy ISO's over to a USB drive and it has worked flawlessly with any image I have thrown at it. However I do like Wii Backup Managers ability to deal with and convert ISO's to CISO's and save some space on the drive i store the original images on. Because of this important feature I would love to use this program exclusively for Wii game management.

However I have run into whats a pretty big problem. I tested a few ISO transfers to my USB drive and three out of the five I attempted locked the program up at apparently random % points of the transfer. The lockup is extreme to the point of not being able to kill the process in the task manager and forcing a hard boot of the PC to free up the WBFS imaged hard drive again.

The error does not seem isolated to CISO's or ISO's. I have had problems with both formats. The CISO image i was able to convert to ISO using the backup manager and then was able to flawlessly transfer it the USB drive using WBFS manager. I guess technically using both programs I could work around this problem but it would take a much greater amount of time to convert images from CISO to ISO to have to do the file transfers.

So in short. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Is it possibly isolated to the latest beta release? Anyone have any ideas?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
toleranse said:
I read through the majority of the thread and can't seem to find any posts with anyone having a similar problem as I am with this application so here goes.

I have been using WBFS Manager 3.0 to copy ISO's over to a USB drive and it has worked flawlessly with any image I have thrown at it. However I do like Wii Backup Managers ability to deal with and convert ISO's to CISO's and save some space on the drive i store the original images on. Because of this important feature I would love to use this program exclusively for Wii game management.

However I have run into whats a pretty big problem. I tested a few ISO transfers to my USB drive and three out of the five I attempted locked the program up at apparently random % points of the transfer. The lockup is extreme to the point of not being able to kill the process in the task manager and forcing a hard boot of the PC to free up the WBFS imaged hard drive again.

The error does not seem isolated to CISO's or ISO's. I have had problems with both formats. The CISO image i was able to convert to ISO using the backup manager and then was able to flawlessly transfer it the USB drive using WBFS manager. I guess technically using both programs I could work around this problem but it would take a much greater amount of time to convert images from CISO to ISO to have to do the file transfers.

So in short. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Is it possibly isolated to the latest beta release? Anyone have any ideas?

Try a previous release and see if you have any issues.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had no lockups with the app, however, I have a similar issues with file conversion...
If I try to just convert a ISO file into a CISO file, it results in a corrupt file (in both 0.3.1b & 0.3.5b1)
In 0.3.1b if I transfer the ISO to a WBFS drive and THEN convert to CISO from there it WORKS.
In 0.3.5b1, I transfer the ISO to a WBFS Drive, convert to CISO, the CISO file is deleted after it completes?!

Summery:
Version 0.3.1 beta
ISO > CISO = Fail (Corrupted File)
ISO > Drive > CISO = Works

Version 0.3.5 beta 1
ISO > CISO = Fail (Corrupted File)
ISO > Drive > CISO = Fail (CISO is deleted when finished converting)

Anyone else have this problem?

synicasm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Application crashes when trying to extract from a WBFS drive to a ISO, when an ISO of the same name already exists in the target folder on a NTFS drive.

Version 0.3.5.1 beta

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/z9E_uv5IT-o?si=0qMdVEnRK8mmclzS