Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

dgep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Obvious if you read the log, I did format once to WBFS and once to FAT32... my mistake.

dgep said:
Are you sure that the formating (FAT32) does always work?

I had to format twice before I could see the drive. The first time it did not appear.

CODE21:47:26 (FormatDlg) Set active drive HarddiskVolume1 (8,01 GB)
21:48:06 (FormatDlg) Attempting to format Sweex (37,26 GB) WBFS
21:48:06 (FormatDlg) Format successful.
21:51:37 (FormatDlg) Attempting to format Sweex (37,26 GB) FAT32
21:51:41 (FormatDlg) Format successful.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
Yeah I noticed that.
smile.gif

I was wondering though, how you were able to format the drive when it was in use as drive 1..
QUOTE said:
21:47:44 (FormatDlg) Drive is in use as drive 1 Sweex
Unless you unmounted the drive first, before formatting as WBFS?

francerossina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
fig2k4 said:
Does your partition show in Windows disk management? If it shows there, WBM should be able to pick it up.

If you're using 0.3.1+ then there's an option in the settings dialog to "Use mounted volumes only". If you untick that, then volumes that don't have a drive letter assigned by Windows can be used. If you don't like the display name, you can assign an alias in on the drives page too which will be used by WBM.

Windows disk management can see it, but it's not possible to assign a letter to the partition. Maybe because I formatted it with G-Parted live.

By the way I have full access to the partition through command line with wbfs_file.exe of oggzee. I was wondring why I cannot use this GUI.

Maisto

Trophies
XP
Country
is it possible to convert an iso fil to .wbfs without the the title and the folder with the same name.

what i mean is if i convert 30 game from iso to .wbfs i want them all to get into this folder

C:/wii games/

not

C:/wii games/"GAMEID_GAMETITLE"

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I suppose it isn't really named correctly for this purpose, but go to settings->FAT32/NTFS->Storage Convention. Change it to "Store files in a single WBFS folder". This means that files won't have their own sub-folder, like you want. Select the games you want to convert on the files page and Transfer->WBFS file.

@francerossina
Did you untick the option?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I'm guessing that Windows doesn't regard the partition as a valid volume, which is why it won't assign a drive letter. Whatever the reason, it's probably same reason that it doesn't show up using FindFirstVolume(), FindNextVolume(). I use those functions to build a list of volumes that haven't been mounted and assigned a letter by Windows.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Test :

Super Smash Bros. Brawl ISO -> .wbfs

The .wbfs created is still different from that created by wbfs_file.exe.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I decided to do full scrubbing at the Wii sector level, because it'll make the MD5 hash identical, regardless of the source. You can see the hashes from a test in the screenshot a few pages back. The hash from a 1TB drive and a WBFS file are the same. Also the files are totally clean and only contain the necessary data, instead of old redundant stuff, like removed update partition data etc..

I did try this before but it didn't work for me. Some additions to libWBFS from Wiimm means that the code works OK now. So thanks to Wiimm for those.

Everyone wants a way to have a standard MD5 checksum for Wii games, this is my first step towards that.

BTW, I'm glad the transfers work for you now. Cheers.
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried 3.1 (not 3.2 yet),
Drive 1 : WD my passport 320GB (297GB wbfs) formated with backup manager
Drive 2 : Seagate freeagent GO 250GB (30GB fat32, 200GB wbfs) formated with PrixM

and when transfering Drive2 wbfs->Drive1 wbfs, some files worked and some just failed.
I got a message "not a proper wii game", but that game is working fine on the Wii, so I know the file is a proper game.
So, I tried to convert drive2->ciso->drive1, same here : some were working, while other didn't appear on the targeted wbfs drive after the transfer delay
sorry for the bad report, I'm not on my computer. I will try again with 3.2 tomorrow and will keep the logs.

Another thing I noticed, the games I could transfer were not the same size than the one from the source partition.
Is that due to HDD sector size difference ?

games on wbfs1 formated with backup manager were slighlty bigger than the games on the one formated with Prix'M gui
then I tried to reformat wbfs1 with Prixm but it's the same result, Mypassport has bigger file size. I'm just curious.

dgep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
fig2k4 said:
I was wondering though, how you were able to format the drive when it was in use as drive 1..

Unless you unmounted the drive first, before formatting as WBFS?
Exactly, but this is not visible in the log...
When I came back to the menu, it lost my previous selection (disk and format).
That's how I made the mistake to format as WBFS when I really wanted FAT32.

It is really fun to start using a program "under construction".

I can't wait to see your checksum in action.
Maybe some CLI (or using your first tab) to be able to "md5" the Wii content of a xxx.iso xxx.ciso or xxx.wbfs (in this last case make sure you continue your check on the xxx.wbf1 file).
The you need to provide a sort by MD5 (or else) so that we can fastly compare files before and after processing.
That would really permit us to verify on large quantity of file that your program is working.
I can start a copy of a full 500Go disk every night and give you the log in the morning (CET).

Thanks.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Transferring from WBFS to WBFS with different block sizes probably would've been affected by the bug in libWBFS (which I converted from to Delphi). It's fixed in 0.3.2, so it's worth trying that again.

It sounds like the 2 partition do have different WBFS block sizes, so the used space will be different. The larger the block size, the more space is taken by the game.

About CISO, I really thought I'd fixed it. I haven't been able to make it fail, but that could be the reason for the failure in that test. If you can do a quick test again when you try 0.3.2 I'd appreciate it.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
TeenTin said:
Test :

Super Smash Bros. Brawl ISO -> .wbfs

The .wbfs created is still different from that created by wbfs_file.exe.

When using 0.3.1, the .wbfs file created only has a very little difference from those created by wbfs_file.exe. (Just a litter difference at the beginning of the .wbfs file, may be the MD5 Hash ?)

However, when using 0.3.2, the .wbfs file created has a huge difference in content from those created by wbfs_file.exe.

What happened ?

I don't know what the majority think, in my own opinion, all files created better be identical to those created by wbfs_file.exe.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
fig2k4 said:
Transferring from WBFS to WBFS with different block sizes probably would've been affected by the bug in libWBFS (which I converted from to Delphi). It's fixed in 0.3.2, so it's worth trying that again.

It sounds like the 2 partition do have different WBFS block sizes, so the used space will be different. The larger the block size, the more space is taken by the game.

About CISO, I really thought I'd fixed it. I haven't been able to make it fail, but that could be the reason for the failure in that test. If you can do a quick test again when you try 0.3.2 I'd appreciate it.
I thought the block size was an option of the wbfs.exe format command, and using the same manager will result in the same block size, but it seems not. (maybe using command line with specified block size is the best choice to have the extact same size on 2 different hdd)

I will make another test for wbfs transfer and ciso with 0.3.2

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tested the 0.3.2, it was working correctly for many transfered games and thought I would say the Wii gamre recognition was fixed !
But, no, I just got the same error :/

The games I got the error yesterday are working fine now (like cérébral académie)

but when trying to transfer RWIP18 - Wing Island (200MB)
Code:
(Drive2ToDrive1Thread) Thread started
(WBFSPartition.AddDisc) Not a valid Wii disc
same error with Drive1 to Drive2

Drive to .ciso : start writting the file and stop at 32KB file ~40.tmp
no error in the log :
Code:
(Drive1ToCISOThread) Thread started
(WiiDisc.ExtracCISOToFile) Created file D:\~40.tmp
(Drive1ToCIOSThread) Thread terminated.

But when converting Wii sport to cISO, the log show more information, like filename, renaming.

I used PrixM to create WingIsland cISO, then when loading the resulted file to backup manager, it doesn't show up in the "file" tab. Maybe my file is really corrupted ?

I used Calimero's WBFSgui 14.2.3530 mod by Ardy 0.0.1, direct drive to drive transfer successful.

I will test it on the Wii to see if the game is really corrupted.

Could you add ability to copy selected text to clipboard from the log window ? (and also on other windows, like copy gameID, game name, MD5, etc.)
Edit :
If you want, I could localize it to french.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I could change that error to a warning, but it does seem that the disc header isn't valid. I check for a code in the header that tells if it's a Wii disc or not (0x5D1C9EA3). If that isn't valid, then building the disc usage etc. would probably fail too, so maybe not a good idea to use a warning.

It might still be a reading problem. Have you tried extracting the game to ISO, or using another manager to see if you get the same problem with that game?

Edit: If it can't read a CISO extracted with PrixM, then the header probably is corrupt. Try extracting to ISO with PrixM too, just in case, but CISO reading should work fine. I haven't changed that since I first implemented it.

Edit 2: I want to semi-finalise the GUI before supporting other languages, so there isn't constant changes needed to keep the translations up to date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, my phone is from 2019