Homebrew Wii at 240p

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

It's been a while since I've been on the Wii modding scene.

From what I understand is it now possible to hook up my Wii to my CRT TV with the official RGB cable I own and run certain emulators at 240p? If so, which emulators support 240p?

Many thanks

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, all the ones you'd want 240p support on, plus Not64 via text-editing its config file.
Genesis Plus GX, mGBA, SNES9x GX, FCEUGX, Not64. Not sure if WiiSXR does.

Lordbarker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks bud! Sounds great. What's the state of Retroarch on Wii these days? I'm thinking old school Konami, Taito etc.

Is 240p easy to set for the above; just a menu option? Cheers again

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I've used only Android RetroArch recently, so I wouldn't really know, but I've heard various reports of success and the opposite when it comes to Wii RA.
240p is indeed easy to set. In Genesis Plus GX, choose video mode "Original" instead of "Interlaced". In SNES9X and FCEUGX, again, choose "Original" video mode instead of "Filtered". mGBA's video mode option for it is simply labeled "240p".

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup! Make sure in your Wii System Settings, that you're in 480i mode, not 480p.
Then in your VC game, press Home > Operations Guide, and on Wiimote+Nunchuk, hold A+1+Z. If you don't hear a "bing" sound, it's either already in 240p by default, or the game doesn't support it.
To revert to 480i, A+2+Z.

Last edited by Sticksandstones,

rkChdrkls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, 240p will also work with the default Wii composite(yellow,red,white) leads, it's a misconception, but RGB itself is not a requirement to display 240p (or 288p in pal). RGB will just decrease interference (stop color bleed etc) compared to composite and rf.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Yup! Make sure in your Wii System Settings, that you're in 480i mode, not 480p.
Then in your VC game, press Home > Operations Guide, and on Wiimote+Nunchuk, hold A+1+Z. If you don't hear a "bing" sound, it's either already in 240p by default, or the game doesn't support it.
To revert to 480i, A+2+Z.
Will that work on vWii?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BTW, 240p will also work with the default Wii composite(yellow,red,white) leads, it's a misconception, but RGB itself is not a requirement to display 240p (or 288p in pal). RGB will just decrease interference (stop color bleed etc) compared to composite and rf.
Haven't heard or read about that misconception before (the original consoles did 240p anyways and component wasn't even a thing), but yes, both composite and component support it, the latter giving the cleanest image.

Will that work on vWii?
Wii U does not support 240p, and nothing can be done about that, since it's a hardware limitation.

Last edited by niuus,
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I've used only Android RetroArch recently, so I wouldn't really know, but I've heard various reports of success and the opposite when it comes to Wii RA.
240p is indeed easy to set. In Genesis Plus GX, choose video mode "Original" instead of "Interlaced". In SNES9X and FCEUGX, again, choose "Original" video mode instead of "Filtered". mGBA's video mode option for it is simply labeled "240p".
"Original" video mode looks awesome on FCEUGX and SNES9X! But whenever I go to the pause menu my Trinitron freaks out and I get a garbled mess until I go back to the game or rest the Wii. What do you think might be happening? Do you think it's trying to push 480P on the pause menu?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
"Original" video mode looks awesome on FCEUGX and SNES9X! But whenever I go to the pause menu my Trinitron freaks out and I get a garbled mess until I go back to the game or rest the Wii. What do you think might be happening? Do you think it's trying to push 480P on the pause menu?
It's normal. It switches from 240p to 480i when inside the menu (or 480p if you are using component cables and your Wii was configured like that in the Settings). Your TV should support interlaced resolutions just fine, but hey, maybe it does have an issue when switching. I have 3 CRT TVs from different brands and none have problems when switching, even when using the same emulators but on the Gamecube console.

Reactions: Sticksandstones

rkChdrkls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't heard or read about that misconception before (the original consoles did 240p anyways and component wasn't even a thing), but yes, both composite and component support it, the latter giving the cleanest image.

Wii U does not support 240p, and nothing can be done about that, since it's a hardware limitation.

It is quite a common misconception not just on wii but on nearly all the forums I have been on for classic consoles/computers that output 240/288p. Lots of people think you need a scart and RGB to have 240p on a crt. A rubbish RF cable will output 240/288p.

Reactions: Sticksandstones

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E