Homebrew Wii - apps sometimes loading slower than they used to, is it SD card? What can be done?

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my Wii set to start on HBC (which is on SD, along with all my homebrew apps).

And for example, when exiting something and going back to the HBC that black screen that happens before the HBC loads will often (most of the time/always?) last noticeably longer than it ever used to, before the HBC comes up. I think that's been getting even worse lately--the black screen lasting longer before it comes up. And not just for the HBC.

I've heard fat 32 on SD can get fragmented and slow because of that. Could that be the cause?

Googling whether you should defrag an SD card gives the answer that no you shouldn't, and that it reduces the life of the SD. But most people probably aren't using fat32 on their SD so I don't know what's best.

Should I defrag my SD card? I'm on Windows 10 and there's no option from Windows that will let me defrag the SD. I do have something called Puran Defrag which I could use though.

Does the slowness mean the SD card could be in danger of failing? (I just backed up everything on it just in case).

The slowness couldn't mean my Wii itself is going, could it? I kind of doubt that but I figure I better ask.

ultramodern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe its the card you use? or the way you defrag the card? I use a 32gb sandisk ultra 30mbs class 6 and have no problems everything runs smooth. The program I like to use is...SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC just google it its free. Good luck

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You should check what reading speed does your SD have. I remember having a card with lower speed than my current one, and sometimes took longer to load. It even affected some Sega CD games being emulated, like Lunar - Eternal Blue, and that disappeared by getting a faster one. You also have to understand that the more stuff you put into the SD, the more is going to take to read. You should also check the adapter to the Micro SD card, they may wear down and stop working as intended (not only for Wii, but in general).

I've never de-fragmented any of my SD cards. Format them to start a new? Maybe, but the other, not really.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Should I defrag my SD card?
never.
you will just wear out the sd card for no effect
if you think its fragmentation, copy everything to the pc and then restore back.
But most people probably aren't using fat32 on their SD so I don't know
what? fat32 is the default filesystem in sd cards...

Last edited by migles,
D

Deleted User

I would check your sd card. I use a 128 GB Sandisk SD Card and it works just fine on my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also