WiFi Enabled Gadget

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Kwartel, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Kwartel
    OP

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    I want to buy a WiFi enabled *thingy* [​IMG]
    I want to browse on the webs with something that will fit my pocket.
    Does a Dingoo work with wifi mini-sd + browser?

2. I2aven's_Sag

I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Northern Virginia
    Define Cheap, also would you be using it just at home or would you be using it abroad? I assume abroad.

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The cheapest WiFi dongles you'll find are the myriads of WiFi-G dongles running at 54mb/s (not MB/s). They can be for as little as £5 in places, to as much as £30. Some do include micro-SD card slots to be used as data storage too, but I've only seen them in magazines, never one actually sold in shops.

The more expensive WiFi dongles are the WiFi-N dongles running at either 150mb/s or 300mb/s. Those cost in the region of £25-50, and I've never seen one that includes micro-SD.

You can get WLAN dongles, which require you to put your phone SIM card in and connect to the EDGE/3G/similar networks that allow smartphones to connect to the internet. They all rely on price plans which are typically paid monthly (on contract - otherwise you can get Pay-As-You-Surf in some places but I don't like them). Beware if you use one - they often have hidden charges if you go above the bandwidth limit (usually 2-6GB per month, depending on company).

Before you buy any dongle, always check for reviews. Many are difficult to work with or have connection problems, like my Broadcom WiFi-N adapter for my tablet laptop. In fact, Broadcom especially seem to have the most problems in my experience.

4. 1NOOB

1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2006
    Canada
    Inside My Head...
    get a cheap cellphone with wifi and java (there's a lot of them on dx and such sites) and no the dingoo isnt ready to work with a wifi mini/micro sd card

list of dx alternative : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=202516

5. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    umm, both the PSP and DS can do that?

6. Raki

Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Gambia, The
    web browsing on the PSP is not funny...

7. elimist

elimist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    iphone or android. you can also get slow text and black and white image browsing on the amazon kindle.