Hacking Why Update My Boot2?

atreyu187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a Wii today for a great price as I have been missing it with all the great titles out. I used the softmod guide here to get it running USB loaders as I was told all it needed was a laser. Well I installed that today and got nothing out of it so thank goodness I can still use that but no Gamecube games for me till it is sorted or I get a Sundriver/WODE again. Anyhow I have been out of it a while but got myself modded fairly quickly in under half an hour. Now I have installed bootmii as my boot2 but I was going through and making sure I had all the right IOS files for USB 2.0, instrument support, etc. but noticed my boot2 was at v2 and could be updated to v4.

My question is why would I want to do or not do so as DOP-Mii seems to lean towards it but warns I have to re-install which is no problem as I upgraded to 4.1U from 3.2U and have all my IOS truncha signedand what ever else I may need down the road and backups of my keys and nand already as well as priiloader installed. Any help on this would be great till then I am going to unscramble the Donky Kong game I got today and upload the ISO tot he USB HDD and game the night away. There has got to be a better way to dump Wii games without the Wii itself till I find out why my new laser isn't working as it ejects and I think I hear it spin up.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
There's only one reason someone may want to update the boot2 of a softmodded wii.

If you use dop-mii to update your boot2 to v4, then reinstall bootmii @ boot2 (as it would've been uninstalled during the update), it will be able to survive accidental ninty updates.

This is pretty pointless as system menu hacks can prevent u from updating anyways.

Also, if u ever need help getting your softmod to run just right, I recommend you check "ModMii"

atreyu187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii is what I used to grab all my files. I was just using DOP-Mii to make a report to add in with the nand dump I had made for archival purposes and just happen to notice that. I have all updates blocked with priiloader hacks so I should be good to go. Thanks for the heads up and BTW nice app I also used it when I had my first Wii but wasn't this under a different name?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, there wasnt even a conversation in place