Why Update My Boot2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by atreyu187, Apr 3, 2011.

1. atreyu187
    OP

atreyu187 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2007
    United States
    So I got a Wii today for a great price as I have been missing it with all the great titles out. I used the softmod guide here to get it running USB loaders as I was told all it needed was a laser. Well I installed that today and got nothing out of it so thank goodness I can still use that but no Gamecube games for me till it is sorted or I get a Sundriver/WODE again. Anyhow I have been out of it a while but got myself modded fairly quickly in under half an hour. Now I have installed bootmii as my boot2 but I was going through and making sure I had all the right IOS files for USB 2.0, instrument support, etc. but noticed my boot2 was at v2 and could be updated to v4.

My question is why would I want to do or not do so as DOP-Mii seems to lean towards it but warns I have to re-install which is no problem as I upgraded to 4.1U from 3.2U and have all my IOS truncha signedand what ever else I may need down the road and backups of my keys and nand already as well as priiloader installed. Any help on this would be great till then I am going to unscramble the Donky Kong game I got today and upload the ISO tot he USB HDD and game the night away. There has got to be a better way to dump Wii games without the Wii itself till I find out why my new laser isn't working as it ejects and I think I hear it spin up.

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    There's only one reason someone may want to update the boot2 of a softmodded wii.

If you use dop-mii to update your boot2 to v4, then reinstall bootmii @ boot2 (as it would've been uninstalled during the update), it will be able to survive accidental ninty updates.

This is pretty pointless as system menu hacks can prevent u from updating anyways.

Also, if u ever need help getting your softmod to run just right, I recommend you check "ModMii"

3. atreyu187
    OP

atreyu187 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2007
    United States
    Modmii is what I used to grab all my files. I was just using DOP-Mii to make a report to add in with the nand dump I had made for archival purposes and just happen to notice that. I have all updates blocked with priiloader hacks so I should be good to go. Thanks for the heads up and BTW nice app I also used it when I had my first Wii but wasn't this under a different name?

4. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, it was called something else back in its early days. IIRC, it was known as "NUS Auto Downloader".