Why the fuck is nintendo constantly trying to communicate over my wifi?

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well howdy pardners. I've had my switch hacked and running atmosphere mostly perfectly with the correct method of hiding from nintendo (either via 90DNS or Incognito mode...don't recall but I know it was one of them and had no issues) for some time now. Only changes I make are the occasional firmware update but I typically don't do those as I have no reason to, why fix what ain't broken, na'mean? Well today I was messing with a recent implementation of pihole on my network and see tons of queries from nintendo being blocked. The part that baffles me more is the fact that I haven't been on my switch in over 12 hours, however it is on the dock just charging and the HDMI is not plugged in. I thought maybe I have something else, be it my phone or PC, that had some software I may have overlooked, but it is definitely coming from my switchs IP address. Is it common for nintendo to communicate via wifi while the system is docked and not active? Did I somehow fuck something up somehow in some way that I can't even take a wild guess on as I've literally only installed a few games via one of the shops in Tinfoil or otherwise acquiring them myself from my go-to webpage. I'm just so confused which in turn makes me scared. And when I'm scared, I eat. And I'm too old to even think of getting fat now cuz I literally work out never. Anyone have any ideas? I'm including the image of said pihole query log.

natendoh.PNG

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well howdy pardners. I've had my switch hacked and running atmosphere mostly perfectly with the correct method of hiding from nintendo (either via 90DNS or Incognito mode...don't recall but I know it was one of them and had no issues) for some time now. Only changes I make are the occasional firmware update but I typically don't do those as I have no reason to, why fix what ain't broken, na'mean? Well today I was messing with a recent implementation of pihole on my network and see tons of queries from nintendo being blocked. The part that baffles me more is the fact that I haven't been on my switch in over 12 hours, however it is on the dock just charging and the HDMI is not plugged in. I thought maybe I have something else, be it my phone or PC, that had some software I may have overlooked, but it is definitely coming from my switchs IP address. Is it common for nintendo to communicate via wifi while the system is docked and not active? Did I somehow fuck something up somehow in some way that I can't even take a wild guess on as I've literally only installed a few games via one of the shops in Tinfoil or otherwise acquiring them myself from my go-to webpage. I'm just so confused which in turn makes me scared. And when I'm scared, I eat. And I'm too old to even think of getting fat now cuz I literally work out never. Anyone have any ideas? I'm including the image of said pihole query log.

View attachment 345212
You probably just have Incognito_RCM on and are sending queries out to their servers. Switch is very chatty and phones home all the time to drop off logs.

The modern way to block Ninty comms is via exosphere.ini and dns:mitm which are both built in to Atmosphere these days.

Here’s how to set that up: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

You can still use 90DNS and Incognito as they do similar things but in different ways.

Last edited by binkinator,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdmi has nothing to do with it. But IIRC, you can't have it on airplane mode while docked, and if you turn power off before docking, the act of docking will turn power back on.

Are you sure you have automatic updates turned off?

The fact that it's being blocked, should give you a warm and fuzzy, I think...

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ou probably just have Incognito_RCM on and are sending queries out to their servers. Switch is very chatty and phones home all the time to drop off logs.

The modern way to block Ninty comms is via exosphere.ini and dns:mitm which are both built in to Atmosphere these days.

Here’s how to set that up: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

You can still use 90DNS and Incognito as they do similar things but in different ways.

Ahhhh I hadn't figured on that being how it worked but it makes sense now that I think about what Incognito does. No harm no foul I suppose.

hdmi has nothing to do with it. But IIRC, you can't have it on airplane mode while docked, and if you turn power off before docking, the act of docking will turn power back on.

Are you sure you have automatic updates turned off?

The fact that it's being blocked, should give you a warm and fuzzy, I think...

My mention of HDMI was just to kill any possibility of 'are you sure it's not running and your monitor/tv/whatever screen is off but the system is still blah blah blah' questions. Also yes to your second point. Like I said it's been hacked and running properly for some time without any major changes. As for the blocking, I had to manually add the domain to the blacklist but as binkinator pointed out I'm fine either way.

Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shy::blush: