Hacking Why the big jerk-off with these cards - most people only play/love 3 or 4 games

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Why are people so excited about these illegal cards that allow hundreds of games to be played? I mean, you have all the hassle of worrying about system updates, worrying about online play, worrying about save states etc etc

Jesus, I hardly know anyone who has played through 10 games on the 3ds system (and equivalent)

You're not saving that much money, especially if you get four or five games second hand off ebay.

What's the fucking point when there are so many freeware/cheap-as-shit tablet games, and Steam do a PC game winter sale where you can buy stuff like Bioshock for about 1 dollar?

(And please don't mention the boring homebrew stuff)

MikeBeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, it means I can leave all my carts in their shrink wrap and keep them on the shelf, I like to keep sealed games, but on the other hand, I wanna play them.
Totally agree that there are only so many you want / can play at any one time, but if I'd have had a GW from the beginning , all my 3DS games ( about 23 I think ) would still be sealed and on display, as it is, only half of them are.

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1389051668262.png

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Well with arguments like those you really wouldn't understand either way whatever we'd say. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but it's true. These cards offer a LOT of possibilities - And the one MikeBeaver mentioned is just one of them.

Reactions: Margen67

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Look, I'm not baiting, I'm trying to raise a reasonable point. I have bought 7 different DS/3DS cards in the last 4 years, for myself and others, but I (roughly) worked out that, of the games actually played more than 10 hours by anyone, I could have got them all from ebay at a similar total price.

Just trying to raise a different point of view in all the current excitement

I don't troll - check my history.

Reactions: Phantom_User

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, a rant thread about piracy on a site where many of the people admit to piracy. Seems legit. Don't like it, don't do it, really couldn't be more simple lol. Useless thread is useless, this ought to be on the EOF.

Your reality is not the same as someone else's. Sorry, to live in a country with overpriced imported technology.

"But, but, it's so wrong to do trolololol," methinks the OP is overly embittered :creep: Too freaking bad, that's his problem.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Look, I'm not baiting, I'm trying to raise a reasonable point. I have bought 7 different DS/3DS cards in the last 4 years, for myself and others, but I (roughly) worked out that, of the games actually played more than 10 hours by anyone, I could have got them all from ebay at a similar total price.

Just trying to raise a different point of view in all the current excitement

I don't troll - check my history.

Everyone has their reasons mate. I myself have completed 'round 20'ish games on the 3DS. And there's plenty more I still want to play and devote time into.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buy used games for ebay doesn't break the region lock.

How does ebay help me play ex troopers,senran kagura 2, or many other imports. Ebay also doesn't help when Atlus decideds to fuck Europe, Gateway does.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lets see...
  1. Why are you even here since you're of that opinion.
  2. That "boring and shitty homebrew" actually has a ton of stuff that people enjoy - people that do not share your opinion.
  3. Wait what, 4~5 games only? I really pity you, you only play 4~5 games in the entire lifetime if your hardware?
So, lifelesson here - just because you and your friends never play more than a handful of games - probably says a lot more about you and your friends than it does about the people around you.
As you say, steamsales offer games for as low as a few bucks - but didn't you just say you ONLY play 4~5 games?
Why would you need steamsales, you clearly don't have the time or interest to play more.

And since you apparently value $0,99 junk apps on the same level as a full-price game it seems clear where those standards are coming from.

And finally, the fact that you believe having to do more than plug-and-play denotes you as a product of modern society. Convenience will be the death of humanity...

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people so excited about these illegal cards that allow hundreds of games to be played? I mean, you have all the hassle of worrying about system updates, worrying about online play, worrying about save states etc etc

To play some games without paying for them.
Jesus, I hardly know anyone who has played through 10 games on the 3ds system (and equivalent)

You're not saving that much money, especially if you get four or five games second hand off ebay.

I played through alot of 3ds games; more than 10 in fact.
What's the fucking point when there are so many freeware/cheap-as-shit tablet games, and Steam do a PC game winter sale where you can buy stuff like Bioshock for about 1 dollar?

there are many good 3ds titles that you cannot find on steam, not to mention not everyone as a PC to buy and play that 1 dollar steam game.

Homebrew is a great way for developers to explore and create for devices such as a 3ds. Please keep opinions to yourself about such related topics as many devs put work into these homebrew creations.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people so excited about these illegal cards that allow hundreds of games to be played? I mean, you have all the hassle of worrying about system updates, worrying about online play
What hassle?
worrying about save states etc etc
...Do you even know what you're talking about?
What's the fucking point when there are so many freeware/cheap-as-shit tablet games
How about no. I'm not playing boring casual games with no depth on a system with no buttons.
Region unlocking, game mods and undubs, cheating, screencapping, asset ripping, playing old games that weren't released on VC, getting games that are hard/impossible to get or are really expensive where you live, and being able to have all games in a single card say hi.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For me many reasons.
The actual 3DS cards only matter to me because of -REGION UNLOCKING- (only valid for Gateway anyway).
In the era of the DS, in the other hand, there were many more reasons.
Homebrew of that era was great and gave the system capabilities it didn't have before, e.g. Moonshell.
Also, and very important for me, game hacking and translation.
I wouldn't have been able to play games like Soma Bringer, Tales of Innocence or The nameless game (to name some of them) otherwise.

Also, up to now I have played fully around 10 3DS games (yes not so many, even when I have bought more than 20). Regarding DS I have played fully around 100.

Lately I don't have so much free time to play, you know, work, studies, life...

PS: Commonplace good smartphones, that were not so common in 2007, makes homebrew that was great in the DS era (like Moonshell) unnecessary nowadays.

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually sort of agree with the opening question to an extent. I only play a few games on my 3DS and I have bought they all and wouldn't think about doing the whole 3DS Gateway or whatever anymore. Mostly because I don't like the risk of updating and the card not working but also because I only play Pokemon, Mario Kart, Kirby and maybe 2 more games. In my opinion it's just not worth it for me.

I don't condemn anybody who does. It's just my personal opinion.

Reactions: escherbach

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, region lock.

Yeah, I can see that one.

Not been an issue for me, but I can appreciate it may be for people in certain countries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1