Hardware Why is the sound of the 3DS so terrible and weak?

Jogarr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3DS XL and I have the sound is sooooooooo quiet compared to my DSi. The sound is unbelivably weak and miserable. Did Nintendo really care more about that crappy 3D gimmick than things that actually matter like sound?

Jogarr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always play with headphones. And that dont mean no earbuds!!
The sound is still weak on headphones and when I connect it to my PC speakers, I have to turn them up louder than normal becauz the DAC is so shit. The sound hardware just sounds so cheap and low quality.

Last edited by Jogarr,
Reactions: IC_

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
I understood thats what you were talking about. When using good earphones, you will get much louder music and they will block out any noise or disturbances in the room. But it sounds to me like your 3ds might have some problems with its sound hardware or something.. My regular old 3ds play music and sound just fine. And I never had any complaint on the volume..

D

Deleted User

it's a known problem about the old 3ds xl, it has inferior build quality, loose hinges, terrible screens and super quiet speakers, the new 3ds xl is an overall significantly better built system

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I understood thats what you were talking about. When using good earphones, you will get much louder music and they will block out any noise or disturbances in the room. But it sounds to me like your 3ds might have some problems with its sound hardware or something.. My regular old 3ds play music and sound just fine. And I never had any complaint on the volume..

Actually the opposite is generally true. Using good earphones tends to be lead to less volume as they take more power to drive them.

Reactions: IC_

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a 3DS XL and I have the sound is sooooooooo quiet compared to my DSi. The sound is unbelivably weak and miserable. Did Nintendo really care more about that crappy 3D gimmick than things that actually matter like sound?

Your 3DS may be damaged, I have a 3DS, two 2DS and a New 2DS XL and the sound is fine.
In fact getting the camera, mic or sound damaged due to the console falling down is a thing. Unless you have an old 3DS, closed down the thing is almost as sturdy as a fat DS.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The sound is still weak on headphones and when I connect it to my PC speakers, I have to turn them up louder than normal becauz the DAC is so shit. The sound hardware just sounds so cheap and low quality.
It is indeed not very good sound hardware. When you use good headphones you will also be able to hear all the noise from the interference in the analog audio circuitry. Try using your headphones in a good quality piece of audio equipment, and then plug them into your 3DS, you will clearly hear and understand the difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!