ROM Hack Why is it that so many projects are dropped?

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lots of people are lazy and/or unprofessional and thus won't finish their projects.
There are also lots of people who have an actual life besides making stuff...
Yup
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Here's my take on what's most likely happening in most of these vanishing patch scenarios.
What they think is in red, what's they post is in green, and the amount of actual patch progress is in blue.

Oh it can't be that hard to make a patch, I think I'll try!
"I'm working on a patch!"
0%

I have no clue where to start, I need advice!
"Still working on the patch with my team!"
0%

Okay, I figured out when and where the freezes happened...
"I found the problem and will be applying the fix shortly!"
0%

Wait, how do I look at a ROM's code?
"Ran into some technical difficulties, no worry, it'll be out soon!"
0%

If only I could figure out how to convert this ROM hex into english...
"Debugging / Final testing!"
0%

Wait, you mean I have to actually learn how to program? Fuck that!
~
0%

omegaultima

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought it was mainly because the people translating weren't all that proficient at Japanese.
Cause if that's the case, I think it would be awesome if the people doing manga/anime subs could help out with games too.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Here's my take on what's most likely happening in most of these vanishing patch scenarios.
What they think is in red, what's they post is in green, and the amount of actual patch progress is in blue.

Oh it can't be that hard to make a patch, I think I'll try!
"I'm working on a patch!"
0%

I have no clue where to start, I need advice!
"Still working on the patch with my team!"
0%

Okay, I figured out when and where the freezes happened...
"I found the problem and will be applying the fix shortly!"
0%

Wait, how do I look at a ROM's code?
"Ran into some technical difficulties, no worry, it'll be out soon!"
0%

If only I could figure out how to convert this ROM hex into english...
"Debugging / Final testing!"
0%

Wait, you mean I have to actually learn how to program? Fuck that!
~
0%

Quoted for hilarious truth.
This is precisely what I've seen happen to two or three projects.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Rydian, you are a man furball of infinite wisdom
laugh.gif

wub.gif

On topic, I guess it's actually the length of games that put off the projects. Look at how many IPS patches there are for Gen I Pokémon games in comparison to the patches for Gen IV Pokémon games. Also consider the "length" of both generations. I think that's what make most projects die... sadly
frown.gif

Ultratech87

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because it's actually quite a large investment of work? Not everyone has the time or willingness to devote themselves to a project.

Plus there's a ton of other crap to figure into the equation. (People fighting amongst themselves, lack of a translator, lack of experience programming, etc.)

Rydian's quote does kinda speak the truth though.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, after reading all that stuff up there...
Yes, as a new guy to this I thought I wou8ld give it a try.
Yes, technical problems come up, I can think of over 5 examples of things that professionals need help with- that they end up actually rewriting and or omitting things just beacuase it no longer is feasible to to that particular thing in that particular game
AND they have access to professional tools which we don't to fix this...
And yes I do not know much about japanese but there are kind people out there who do help me when I need help, with japanese and the programming stuff...
Isn't that the whole point of having the NDS rom hacking and translations "board"
And making a fix in a programming language - for something that takes the professionals over 3 years to learn themselves, while I am just trying to make playing a particular game easier to understand

okay so for 7th dragon I can tell you for sure I have spent well over 400 hours. Yes 400 hours of my own personal time on that translation. (And even I don't think its any good). it needs a fix for the screen close, a graphical fix to lengthen some translated things, an asm hack of the font and about 80 other things that I have no idea how to fix.

For Zoids battle coloseum about 300 hours. Its gone quicker thanks to experience with 7th dragon. And I actually am not far from finishing it 64 gmes images another 50 or so in battle message images and 2500 lines of text left to do and its done. Unfortunatly the game packs the script in the overlay using an addressing system msg1 msg28 wait msg 218 msg 23, msg 19 wait etc to save space the same message may be used 28 or 2 times, so the translation looks crappy. But what I can get done is done. And even better no short form crap.

dramatic dungeon sakura taisen Because you are there about 50 hours. I haven't done any graphic work on that yet and that takes a crap load of time, theres so much script I am not going there. The character descriptions alone would take a good 50 to 80 hours. |And the script is bigger than the descriptions.

Duel Love I have that on the back burner til I learn much more about asm hacking. the script is quite literally spread thoughout the game in bits and pieces I have already spent 60 hours trying to track just 5 minutes of opening script from a video about 4000 screen shots -from that video- and painstaking ocr crap from those screen shots just to give up cause without knowing a crapload more about asm that project is lost. One line is used 3 times but its translation changes due to the before and after lines, and changing it without having a way to redirect the other different translations and back, SIGH. So until I know how to fix this myself it is being left alone.

And thats not even talking about the 5 or 6 projects for other people that I am doing stuff for (not just answering quick questions you know actual work). which has taken about another 40 hours.

When I take a look back at this I realize that quite literally my personal time being used on game stuff like the above is almost as much as my work hours. And having somebody whine about stuff that doesn't get done instead of saying "hey can I help?" - like the one poster said to someone else - put up or shut up, you don't know what you are talking about til you try it yourself.
If you have tried to hack or translate and you are going to tell me that that was easy then - again why are you not helping instead of whining. plenty of people to help...

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
First, i know nothing about rom hacking/translation. However, bumping around regions i had come to my own conclusions on why rom hacking/translation would fail. Especially, those that announce on GBAFail ops GBATemp

1) Fame Seeker - Most of them are fame seeker, they just want a name out of it.

2) Skills - Many of them simply have no skills or whatever to get it done

3) Individual Glory - On the chinese site is about team glory... they surely worked together to get the games done. Sometimes they even planned to start translation way before the game is out. Getting ready and etc... This is why i get to play DQ6 chinese within a week after J was release. Same goes to Zelda...

4) I GOT A LIFE/LIVE - This is the lamest and shittiest excuses that one could give! i won't deny the fact that you could be busy and etc. But my arguement is.. if you don't think you could start the project then why bother to start. Many of the rom hackers i know they will at least try to finish the project before they quit.

5) Translation - This is pretty obvious....

6) Spending Time On Forum - They are various occasion i saw them complaining on Temp that they are busy and etc but having the free time to start out their Flame WAR. Why spend so much time on flaming ? Why not use the damn time to get a little piece of work done? Sigh... In other words, why spending that much of time to tell people what are you intend to do.. what do you want to do.. decorate the first post with colourful wordings and etc ............. Why not announce that you already have group and you guys are working on the project. Thereafter, stay away from the DRAMA...

7) Time - It is never a problem that if you take 1 year or 2 to complete the project. Infact, such teams earn people's respect. Look at mother 3 and TOI
smile.gif
!

8) Greediness - I have seen one topic starter claimed he wanted to do this and that... Many projects at one go? It can be done if you have a great group but actual fact the topic starter only happy with short term glory.

9) Ease of Satisfaction - Most of the translation = Menu..... ? That could be the first step but also last step for many....

10) Clueless - I WANT TO START A PROJECT !!! but i have no idea where to start....

11) Availability - What matter the most if a game can't be translated? It only matter to the fans. However, if none of the DS games are release in English...I would say there will be tons of people join forces to get it done. This is what i observes from the Chinese community. As far as i know they had got like 200-300 games translated.

List of high profile games done

-Inazuma11
-DQ series (Including DQ6, DQ9, DQJM2)
-Soma Bringer
-FF series (Including the recent FF Gaiden)
-Love plus
-Professor Layton Series (Including the latest)
-Rune factory 3
-GTA:CW
-Last Window
-Pokemon Series (Including the recent HG/SS)
-Dragon Ball: Origins 2
-Yugioh Series
-Ragnarok DS
-Super Robot Wars
-MLRPG Series
-ASH

Maxkhoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Palau
elixirdream said:
First, i know nothing about rom hacking/translation. However, bumping around regions i had come to my own conclusions on why rom hacking/translation would fail. Especially, those that announce on GBAFail ops GBATemp

1) Fame Seeker - Most of them are fame seeker, they just want a name out of it.

2) Skills - Many of them simply have no skills or whatever to get it done

3) Individual Glory - On the chinese site is about team glory... they surely worked together to get the games done. Sometimes they even planned to start translation way before the game is out. Getting ready and etc... This is why i get to play DQ6 chinese within a week after J was release. Same goes to Zelda...

4) I GOT A LIFE/LIVE - This is the lamest and shittiest excuses that one could give! i won't deny the fact that you could be busy and etc. But my arguement is.. if you don't think you could start the project then why bother to start. Many of the rom hackers i know they will at least try to finish the project before they quit.

5) Translation - This is pretty obvious....

6) Spending Time On Forum - They are various occasion i saw them complaining on Temp that they are busy and etc but having the free time to start out their Flame WAR. Why spend so much time on flaming ? Why not use the damn time to get a little piece of work done? Sigh... In other words, why spending that much of time to tell people what are you intend to do.. what do you want to do.. decorate the first post with colourful wordings and etc ............. Why not announce that you already have group and you guys are working on the project. Thereafter, stay away from the DRAMA...

7) Time - It is never a problem that if you take 1 year or 2 to complete the project. Infact, such teams earn people's respect. Look at mother 3 and TOI
smile.gif
!

8) Greediness - I have seen one topic starter claimed he wanted to do this and that... Many projects at one go? It can be done if you have a great group but actual fact the topic starter only happy with short term glory.

9) Ease of Satisfaction - Most of the translation = Menu..... ? That could be the first step but also last step for many....

10) Clueless - I WANT TO START A PROJECT !!! but i have no idea where to start....

11) Availability - What matter the most if a game can't be translated? It only matter to the fans. However, if none of the DS games are release in English...I would say there will be tons of people join forces to get it done. This is what i observes from the Chinese community. As far as i know they had got like 200-300 games translated.

List of high profile games done

-Inazuma11
-DQ series (Including DQ6, DQ9, DQJM2)
-Soma Bringer
-FF series (Including the recent FF Gaiden)
-Love plus
-Professor Layton Series (Including the latest)
-Rune factory 3
-GTA:CW
-Last Window
-Pokemon Series (Including the recent HG/SS)
-Dragon Ball: Origins 2
-Yugioh Series
-Ragnarok DS
-Super Robot Wars
-MLRPG Series
-ASH

agreed,
peoples should try to work as a team.
glad I can play Chinese translated games :-)

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to be working on a solo Pokemon hack on another forum, and from experience, I can say the reason these projects are dropped is largely from loss of interest. If you want a hack to be of good quality, you have to WANT to do it. The moment it stops being fun, and you stop wanting to do it, then you need to either find a way to motivate yourself or take a break from work, for the sake of the project's quality. In this way, making a hack and just translating are the same. I didn't care if nobody knew who I was (heck, they didn't); I was hacking because I found it an enjoyable way to spend my free time, and that's the whole story.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work semi-solo. I only add people to my team if I know they won't run off on the group, get lazy or going for the fame. None of these things are what I want in a group and I work quietly so noobs don't go around bugging and demanding something they aren't entitled to.

Many translations end because of people getting too busy with their life and not letting someone else finish what they started, noobs attacking them/demanding, they aren't getting enough fame so they throw a hissy fit or they don't have the right tools/doesn't know enough Japanese.

My question is, if someone really want a game that badly, why not learn the language or learn rom hacking?

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
PeregrinFig said:
I used to be working on a solo Pokemon hack on another forum, and from experience, I can say the reason these projects are dropped is largely from loss of interest. If you want a hack to be of good quality, you have to WANT to do it. The moment it stops being fun, and you stop wanting to do it, then you need to either find a way to motivate yourself or take a break from work, for the sake of the project's quality. In this way, making a hack and just translating are the same. I didn't care if nobody knew who I was (heck, they didn't); I was hacking because I found it an enjoyable way to spend my free time, and that's the whole story.
Yeah, something like that happened to me. I wanted to do some simple rom hacking, I posted a question and only one person tried to help. Then, I made some research (on some unknown format; not-so-unknown now) and did the patch. Like 3 people posted and the topic just went to page 10000000000000+
But, I spent my free time in something fun and I learnt some things from that.

blood_lust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sometimes hackers/translators get in over there heads and try to do a game which has way too much dialogue or in thr case of the hacker too much technical issues which bog down their progress. after a while they realise that it's not going anywhere and they're wasting their time and then they stop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof