Why don't we see softmodding on the Switch?

PizzaBitez

Shadow Clone Justu.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just doing some research, and I was curious as to why we don't see more softmods for the switch. Mind you I'm not very well versed in modding as a whole, but It just got me thinking, "we had it for the wii, Wii U, 3DS". I know we have fuse for the unpatched switches and the modchips for the patched units. Possibly nintendo would patch it with a firmware release?

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Soft modding involves taking advantage of (exploiting) security mistakes in the device's firmware. The Switch's firmware has no security mistakes so soft modding is impossible on the current firmwares. There were mistakes that led to soft mods but iirc the last one was patched in firmware 7.x.

Reactions: bad_realbad

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just doing some research, and I was curious as to why we don't see more softmods for the switch. Mind you I'm not very well versed in modding as a whole, but It just got me thinking, "we had it for the wii, Wii U, 3DS". I know we have fuse for the unpatched switches and the modchips for the patched units. Possibly nintendo would patch it with a firmware release?
From pics being signed per console to saves being internal to games running in a sandbox is why we don't have a software exploit

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For better or worse, depending upon who you are, security is largely a reactionary affair rather than a holistic one. That is to say people rush to fix holes in the dam and build a better dam rather than taking the effort to scope somewhere better to live.

Software methods are easy (you need software and that is cheap) where hardware approaches need both hardware on the attacking part, the defending part (if you have to remake hardware rather than stick a code monkey in a cake with a crate of energy drink overnight... oh dear) and possibly on the end user part too. That is expensive, not as much as it was in years past but still expensive, so where software defences have been built up over the years to something maybe approximating reasonable then hardware has been neglected to the point, not to mention it is considerably m more expensive to do when you could be spending those transistors making shinier polygons, where people instead focus on that as a means to an end.

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Simple:
Because no one has found one.

And given the fact the atmosphere cfw creator basically rewrote the entire firmware code and found nothing, the chances of finding one are slim to none.

This doesn't mean there won't be any, or that a future patch won't allow it, but we'll have to wait.

Also, the current modding methods are impossible to fix by Nintendo, since they involve hardware breaches.

Reactions: bad_realbad

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Nintendo learnt from their mistakes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.