Hardware Why doesn't the 3d slider affect prerendered movies

aiden.22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that the OK GO video wasn't made to take advantage of the different depths, i would assume the samurai warriors is the same. I notice that in the 3d pictures you take as well

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its a depth slider, you would have to render a movie dozens of times taking up dozens of times the space to see the 3d at that particular depth, where as the hardware in the 3ds can render the ingame graphics right then and there

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Because those aren't rendered by the device. They can't be adjusted since the system has no "power" over them.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
In game stuff is being rendered at that moment, dynamic rendering so to speak. The system is able to separate each layer in the game and thus the slider is able to shift each layer increasing depth.
A video has only one layer, with two pictures for each eye, you can't shift layers because it's all one layer. If you notice it's the same way with pictures taken on the 3DS, you can shift the two pictures to change the focus point, but that's about all you can do, you can't change the actual depth of the picture.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't the 3DS simply just modify the video/picture layer to alter the depth? Videos/images still provide two distinct images per eye. The 3DS already has to do calculations to the video frames to keep them separate and display correctly for each eye. (same with images)

I just don't see how this could be too difficult to do in terms of enabling the slider to effect videos/images.

Games are dynamic in a since that they create content to display on the spot. But the fact of the matter is, it still ends up being displayed the same way as videos/pictures. The game outputs two frames, then the 3DS takes that and outputs it as 3D by aligning them on it's special display to work correctly. The same goes with videos/pictures only that it's actually less complicated.

The 3DS only has to worry about decoding the video and there is no ingame stuff going on. The video/picture still has to define unique images per eye. (having them on one layer is irrelevant since the 3DS has the ability to distinguish each image on that layer anyway, since if it couldn't, then it couldn't align the images for the 3D to work at all).

So at the end of the day, this is purely a software limitation and I don't believe the hardware is too limited to handle this.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever slid it in a game and noticed that the way background actually shifts back? Try it in like SSFIV and you'll see the background of any stage actually zooms out while the characters stay where they are. That's how in game depth slider works. A video can't do that because all objects in the frame are flat, the two flat pictures combined makes the 3D. In a game it's not a flat picture, it's a sprite on top of a sprite on top of more sprites. High quality 3D rendered sprites, but still basically sprites none the less. The game can alter how they look on the fly, a picture cant, you can change the focal point but not the actual depth.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait... the OK Go video wasn't 3D?...

I remember watching it in 3D, and showed it to my friend, and he was freaking out when he watched the video in 3D...

Edit:

Oh, I just checked it. There aren't any "levels" of 3D. I see what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure any 3D filming won't work, unless it's specifically made for a screen like this.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
I think they could have at least made it like the "pictures"; you can slide the pad left and right to make the images further apart (having to cross your eyes further). They could do the same except controlled by the slider.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have a theory about a way that a video could work with dynamic depth, that said it would take a lot of work and Nintendo would actually make a video player to support it.

The video would need to be filmed in layers, let's visualize three things.

============================
A back wall, this is the farthest back part of the picture, let's say it has a picture on it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is the mid point, let's say there is a person sitting here.

--------------------------------------------------
This is the front part, let's say there is a desk here with stuff all over it.

Now to make this work each section needs to be filmed separately, putting the person and desk in front of green screens. Now we have three layers filmed with a camera made for 3D recording. It would have to be encoded in a special way to allow for the layers to still be independent of each other but still appear over each other with transparency added to the mid and front layers. Then when played on the 3DS each layer could be moved together or farther apart depending on the depth level, just like in games.

I expect at some point we'll see videos like this made for newer 3DS games after companies have time to play around with it. I don't foresee Hollywood movies doing this though, at least not unless there is a way to do the same thing for 3D TVs too.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Donald Serrot said:
Okay, I have a theory about a way that a video could work with dynamic depth, that said it would take a lot of work and Nintendo would actually make a video player to support it.

The video would need to be filmed in layers, let's visualize three things.

============================
A back wall, this is the farthest back part of the picture, let's say it has a picture on it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is the mid point, let's say there is a person sitting here.

--------------------------------------------------
This is the front part, let's say there is a desk here with stuff all over it.

Now to make this work each section needs to be filmed separately, putting the person and desk in front of green screens. Now we have three layers filmed with a camera made for 3D recording. It would have to be encoded in a special way to allow for the layers to still be independent of each other but still appear over each other with transparency added to the mid and front layers. Then when played on the 3DS each layer could be moved together or farther apart depending on the depth level, just like in games.

I expect at some point we'll see videos like this made for newer 3DS games after companies have time to play around with it. I don't foresee Hollywood movies doing this though, at least not unless there is a way to do the same thing for 3D TVs too.

A layered movie like that would look terrible. A better idea would be to use multiple video streams, adding an extra angle to each stream. Sure the movie size would be a lot bigger, but it wouldn't look horrible.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
epicCreations.org said:
I think they could have at least made it like the "pictures"; you can slide the pad left and right to make the images further apart (having to cross your eyes further). They could do the same except controlled by the slider.

That only changed the distance that the 'whole' image is away from the screen, it doesn't make it any more or less '3D'. Like moving a photo close to your face, not 3D, just closer.

[edit] Dammit, double post, could a mod put that right please?

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3D Slider tells the 3DS to change the distance between the two 'cameras' that it renders the game from.
With both cameras in the same place, it renders a flat image. The farther apart they are, the more extreme the 3D becomes.
A video that isn't being generated and rendered by the 3DS itself has already been recorded with the cameras a certain distance apart and so the 3D slider cannot change that.
Like spinal said, the only way to do it would be to have the video recorded with more than 2 cameras and let the 3D slider switch which streams are being displayed.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
epicCreations.org said:

That only changed the distance that the 'whole' image is away from the screen, it doesn't make it any more or less '3D'. Like moving a photo close to your face, not 3D, just closer.

[edit] Dammit, double post, could a mod put that right please?
Really? It doesn't really feel like that. When I put it full blast, and readjusted my eyes, there was way more immersion... it didn't seem faraway so much as immersive and 3D-ee.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to add this:
The pre-rendered into video for Rabbids Travel in Time is fully 3D.
The pre-rendered screen on the main menu in Lego Star Wars 3 is fully 3D, and CLEARLY pre-rendered because it has those artifact squares when they converted it.

Souldragon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zarxrax said:
In both the OK Go video, and the cutscenes in Samurai Warriors, the 3d slider has no effect.
What is the reason for this?

Wait a minute there, did you say that the cutscenes in Samurai Warriors is not in 3d :wtf:.. I think your not seeing the 3d or we're talking about the wrong cutscenes because every cutscenes I seen so far are able to be view fully in 3D, the opening is fully in 3d etc and the only thing isn't fully in 3d was the bottom screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1