liavcol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hey all,
Hopefully someone in here would be able to figure out this interesting problem: I want to backup the save data for the game Samurai Warriors: Chronicles from a cartridge and something weird is going on with it.
I tried to backup the save data using Checkpoint which worked well for me for all the time. But with this particular game I get an exception that says prefetch abort.
I then tried browsing the same data using FBI and saw that it was called jmctr.bin (it'll be important in a second). I tried to copy the save data and pasting it in my SD card but received the following error:
Summary: Wrong argument
Descreption: Invalid RomFS or save data block hash
The last thing I tried was to use GodMode9 to copy the save from the cartridge but then I saw something weird, there was no such file as jmctr.bin. Instead there were several other files, including a .sav file.
Has anyone ever encountered such errors as I described when trying to backup a save file? Can anyone explain why I'm seeing different files in FBI and GodMode9 when both of them are supposed to show me the file system of the cartridge?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, is this a 3ds or a ds game?
And do you have that game installed on the sd card, while using the backed up save with it?
It could be the game is corrupt, or the sd card..

liavcol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
First of all, is this a 3ds or a ds game?
And do you have that game installed on the sd card, while using the backed up save with it?
It could be the game is corrupt, or the sd card..
This is a 3DS game, specifically Samurai Warrior Chronicles, in case you know any issue with it.
No the game isn't installed to the SD card, its on a cartridge.
I should update that I updated Checkpoint and now it seems to successfuly copy the save file to the SD card, but when I tried to use the save file with an emulator (Citra), the game couldn't load the save. It's most likely not a problem with Citra since I tried it with several other games and everything worked good.
I don't know if Checkpoint "lied" and couldn't really backup the whol;e save file, corrupting the backup in the process or something else...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a 3DS game, specifically Samurai Warrior Chronicles, in case you know any issue with it.
No the game isn't installed to the SD card, its on a cartridge.
I should update that I updated Checkpoint and now it seems to successfuly copy the save file to the SD card, but when I tried to use the save file with an emulator (Citra), the game couldn't load the save. It's most likely not a problem with Citra since I tried it with several other games and everything worked good.
I don't know if Checkpoint "lied" and couldn't really backup the whol;e save file, corrupting the backup in the process or something else...

If I remember correctly 99.99% of games save are on cartridge, with the exception of like Fantasy Life.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if Checkpoint "lied" and couldn't really backup the whol;e save file, corrupting the backup in the process
Yes, it does backup the whole save, and the save is decrypted (instead of encrypted). Not sure if Citra uses either encrypted or decrypted saves, so it's something to keep in mind. And back up the extdata too if it uses it.
Also make sure to use the 3.7.4 release (of Checkpoint) as iiirc the version that came after it has some bugs..

liavcol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Yes, it does backup the whole save, and the save is decrypted (instead of encrypted). Not sure if Citra uses either encrypted or decrypted saves, so it's something to keep in mind. And back up the extdata too if it uses it.
Also make sure to use the 3.7.4 release (of Checkpoint) as iiirc the version that came after it has some bugs..
That's the weird thing, Citra does use the encrypted saves (I use it with other games).
I am using Checkpoint 3.7.4, they said that the next version is buggy on their GitHub repo.

To be honest I can describe the problem a bit more specifically now: FBI fails to copy a save file (which is weird and shouldn't happen).
I may edit this post or open a new one...

liavcol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If Checkpoint successfully creates a save backup, you don't need to use fbi, just insert your sd card on your (or ftp with it) to copy the save to your pc.
Yeah, as I said I did that but the save isn't loaded. like it got corrupetd during the transfer)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1