Why does the System Transfer process need internet?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by WiiUBricker, Jan 13, 2015.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    The thing is, once I upgraded to a New 3DS I planned to transfer my content to the New 3DS and use it as a legit system, but hell knows why it needs an internet connection with latest OFW from the source system that I planned to use for homebrew and stuff. This means I have two choices:

1) Transfer my content to the New 3DS and lose all homebrew ability with my standard 3DS
    2) Don't update my standard 3DS and start over with my New 3DS

Has someone actually checked what happens during the transfer process with the internet? From there, wouldn't it somehow be doable to spoof the latest firmware or skip the firmware verification process?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well they woul almost certainly double check your licenses and transfer them on their system to the new console.....if it was all possible offline, 1 hacked console could just system transfer a whole bunch of stuff to hundreds of consoles.....i know the system is pretty hacked now, but they still wouldn't want 1 system to be able to give out free content to hundreds of others

3. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    I think it's to transfer the NNID. I'm pretty sure nintendo's servers keep track of which NNID belongs to which 3DS, so if you want to transfer, you have to connect to internet so that Nintendo's servers can update their NNID records.

4. Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk Firefox Master Race

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    I believe System Transfers existed before NNID. Anyway, I think it's just to transfer the licenses.

5. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    Pretty sure I once saw someone claiming that local works on System Transfer as well... Not that I believed it, but he had a pic of the System Transfer and the top left corner was showing "Local" instead of "Internet".

I may be wrong of course as I never system transferred between two 3DSes.