Hacking Discussion why does everyone think that atmosphere will fix/solve everything?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine they see parallels between luma3ds and gateway. SX OS isn't a flashcart, though, so I think it's just a matter of "free" vs "pay money" for certain homebrew.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. Of course there is info what atmo will do: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere

The important thing is Thermosphère. When it is finished you will be able to keep your sysnand unmodified an therefore safe to go online with.

Going online with any type of modified console will never be "safe", nor in the Switch case, will it ever be "safer". If your emunand gets banned, your system gets banned.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going online with any type of modified console will never be "safe", nor in the Switch case, will it ever be "safer". If your emunand gets banned, your system gets banned.
That's why you don't go online with the NAND that you hack and stay offline with the one you do hack. SX OS so far does not offer that option (and neither does Atmosphere).

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the point is, once atmosphere is out, someone will mod it to play backups and it will be open source enough so we know its not bricking the thing or mining bitcoins or some other crap.

you honestly believe TX put in brick code and then removed it completely after being found out? they just hid it better.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know why we can't support both?
I'm glad homebrew devs took an interest in this device,otherwise I wouldn't have really. If I'm 100% honest,there's only certain games I've paid for,and even less I'm willing to pay for in future.Piracy has saved me a few bucks in the long run,so SX has my thanks for that but the games that I've pirated I havnt continued playing.

Also I don't get the appeal of playing 8bit and 16bit games from before I was born on a console I spent good money on.But thats my opinion, so yours can differ from mine.

On topic though, Atmosphere will be the end game when they get there,let's hope its not like the vita scene where it takes off at EOL,because what's the point of that

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the point is, once atmosphere is out, someone will mod it to play backups and it will be open source enough so we know its not bricking the thing or mining bitcoins or some other crap.

you honestly believe TX put in brick code and then removed it completely after being found out? they just hid it better.
you fuck up with the date it's your own fault

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you don't go online with the NAND that you hack and stay offline with the one you do hack. SX OS so far does not offer that option (and neither does Atmosphere).

Sure, but as I said, you keep your sysnand unmodified.

I think all three of us are on different pages here. Let me clarify:

An unmodified Emunand does not render you invulnerable to detection. Nintendo has learned a hard lesson from the 3DS and I'm sure has countless ways to detect users who are modified. If you choose to go online with an Emunand period, you run the risk of being banned. All I'm saying is do not express the fact that you're "safe to go online" because you're using a NAND that is not modified.

If you modify your Switch and go online, you risk being hammered.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

An unmodified Emunand does not render you invulnerable to detection. Nintendo has learned a hard lesson from the 3DS and I'm sure has countless ways to detect users who are modified. If you choose to go online with an Emunand period, you run the risk of being banned. All I'm saying is do not express the fact that you're "safe to go online" because you're using a NAND that is not modified.

This works under the assumption that they can detect and ban EmuNAND usage alone which has not happened previously nor for the Switch (mostly because EmuNAND is out). While EmuNAND in theory is much safer than most other modifications, I would say that we must wait and see if they ban people due to this. Worst case scenario, you go online in SysNAND hack-free and stay offline in EmuNAND using hacks.

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Only time will tell. It's just speculation now.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
An unmodified Emunand does not render you invulnerable to detection.
You don't get it. The SYSNAND needs to be unmodified.

Nintendo has learned a hard lesson from the 3DS and I'm sure has countless ways to detect users who are modified.
That does not matter. You only modify your EMUNAND. Even if the Switch recognizes the modification, it can only write it to the EMUNAND.

If you choose to go online with an Emunand period, you run the risk of being banned.
Correct, you need to go online with your unmodified SYSNAND

All I'm saying is do not express the fact that you're "safe to go online" because you're using a NAND that is not modified.
Millions of Switch users go online with unmodified SYSNANDs. Not one of them was ever banned...

This is why you only go online with your UNMODIFIED SYSNAND

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't get it. The SYSNAND needs to be unmodified.

That does not matter. You only modify your EMUNAND. Even if the Switch recognizes the modification, it can only write it to the EMUNAND.

Correct, you need to go online with your unmodified SYSNAND

Whatever man. Just stop adding to the "improper fact" pile. Don't' tell people it's safe when it isn't.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i'm on sx os and everytime i open the eshop i hope i get the banned pop up...
so after i won't worry anymore about getting banned :D
fml, i'm pretty sure if i didn't want to get banned i would already have got banned...

why!! why!!! why life are you sooo injust ! :'(

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. Of course there is info what atmo will do: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere

The important thing is Thermosphère. When it is finished you will be able to keep your sysnand unmodified an therefore safe to go online with.

I never did. Going online with an unmodified Switch is safe. Going online with unmodified consoles is the way Nintendo intended it.

Really? Because from that first quote, it sounds like you're suggesting that it's safe to go online with a modified Switch, so long as you're using an unmodified SYSnand, which with the knowledge we have now, we can't guarantee is safe, nor will we ever be able to verify is safe. But this is beating a dead horse by now. I've said my two cents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade