Why do you like Final Fantasy games?

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
Jasper07, if you got a PS2, try FFX and X-2 you might enjoy those, should be cheap enough now as their quite old, i should really start playing FF12 but cant be arsed to hook up my PS2

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blebleman said:
I2aven's_Sage said:
Both Cefka (the FF VI villan) and Sephiroth have the ultimate-bad-guy thing down, but Sephiroth lacks the charismatic charm that cefka offers.

Blebleman, is that how Final Fantasy IX works? That's pretty cool, you can see how the progression of the Materia system goes (Equip Materia / get skills). It's also pretty much the EXACT same system as most of the Final Fantasy Tactics games, which is why they're so popular I'd imagine. The amount of combinations that you can create in all of the FFT games is ridiculous; though, I don't know that you could particularly and easily, at that, discover them on your own.

Sephiroth is a pushover with a mommy complex. Kefka is really the ultimate bad-guy. He poisons a town JUST FOR FUN. Not to mention he's the only bad-guy in Videogame History to actually succeed at destroying the world.

And yes, thanks for reminding me! It really IS the base of the FFTA skill system!

Whilst quite hilarious at times, Kefka remains the ultimate videogame bad guy in my opinion..... poisoning Doma, killing all those espers then whooping in delight coz their magicite were still warm to the touch - LOL! FFVI is without shadow of a doubt my favourite game of the series, and probably my all time favourite rpg! Superb story, said bar steward of a bad guy, the best/most diverse videogame music ever, and in the opera section quite possibly the best 15 or so minutes of gaming ever.....
Enjoyed VII too, but VIII was the start of the rot for me.... really disliked that game, and simply haven't got into a FF game since (bar Tactics), and I've tried them all (except for XI) Even XII, set in Ivalice was it... bored me rigid..... sorry folks but I'm sticking with the old ones.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I hated Final Fantasy because it was never the Final Fantasy?!?!? Once I got over that though it was great, Its just classic good rpg game play, not sure about some of the newer ones though.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well...my first RPG was Dragon Warrior 1 (Dragon Quest 1). I only had it because it came free with my subscription to Nintendo Power. At 5 years old it was a little above my head so I didn't touch it for a few years. When I finally did it quickly became my favorite game. Probably annoyed the hell out of my parents hearing those same 8-bit sounds over and over again as I was grinding my way up to level 29 for the 10th time.

didn't play final fantasy really until VII. i've never been a fan of the "active" battle systems. the only reason I played that one along with VIII, IX, and X was story, with IX being my favorite (though I couldn't tell you why...). played X-2 for about 3 hours and took it back... played the demo of XII and didn't much care for it... played about 3 hours of XIII about two weeks ago and gave it back to my friend...

i've played 3 and 4 on the DS and enjoyed them quite a bit. also enjoyed both FF:CC games on the DS. played 5 and 6 via GBA and enjoyed them also.

i think the reason I like Final Fantasy (along with most other RPGs) is probably the story. they are usually pretty well written even though many people complain that they just recycle the same ideas over and over. what people never seem to take into consideration is: How many original stories are there left to tell? there are so many RPG series around that it is always going to seem like one copies from another. i just try to see games for what they are.

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with turn-based fighting? Oh, and the only FF's I can think of where the main character was part an organization then turned against said organization is... IV, VI (Debatable), VII, IX (Debatable) and XIII. Five games, two of which are debatable, is hardly the entire series.

Why I like FF? Eh, I dunno. It's not the series itself I like. It's the individual games, since there are so many. It's hard to love or hate an entire series where there are so many games in the series all with different plots and what not.

Anyway, my personal favorite game in the FF series is X. IV and VI were great as well.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
@Original Topic

I don't. I love RPGs - throw me a Dragonquest (just about any other than 9 - it just didn't click for me), and I'll go nuts with it. Etrian Odyssey, Dark Spire, Chrono Trigger, Sands of Destruction, etc. Not sure why I went off into just a list of Ds rpgs that I like...would have made more sense to name franchises, yeah? Oh well...it's too late to correct it now.

I just...can't get into Final Fantasy games. The first couple games had a real unique feel at the beginning, and then it led into days of grinding with no story progression. I can't really judge the new ones, though, since I haven't played them, but pretty much after the PS1 games, FF fans have been hating on their own franchise a lot.

D

Deleted User

I think that the best part of some of the older RPG's is that you have to use your imagination. Quite frankly, if you were to compare FF VI to FF-X or FF XIII you see SUCH a HUGE disparity between the levels of technology and graphics. I'm not actively criticizicing great graphics, I'm just saying that, less perfected SNES FF games did have a bit of charm to them in a different respect.

Whenever I play Chrono Trigger on my DS I try to imagine the environments in my imagination and all the detail that went into the slightest palet change; it's also cool that ZNES and SNES9X allow you to turn off layers and sprites and so forth so you can really see the different plains of artwork.

A big constant part of the Final Fantasy series is about progressive experimentation (lol Cecfka/Sephiroth) and evolution over time as technology has improved (NES/SNES/PS1/PS2/360/PS3). Frankly, I'm not going to get a 360/PS3 for a long time as I casually play through
games otherwise I burn out; plus PS2 emulation will be even more refined by the time PS3/360
prices dip to what PS2's are now haha XD.

@Psyfira; I don't know that that really describes FF-X all that well. FF-X had that whole Man-Technology thematic going (till you learn the true plot), but even then; Sin isn't the characteristic evil villan, nor is/was Jecht. The game-story of having Summoners/10 year calms pretty much destroys the essence of having a super-bad-guy; more or less makes me think of pennence and redemption for the use of technology/machina (supposedly).

@Daza, more or less Turn-Based ATB seems to be the same in 90% of the FF games, but if you saw my paragraph explaining changes earlier on the end of page 1 it goes through the game-mechanics evolution briefly; all of which primarily happens under the Turn-Based ATB and the different facets which under go evolution. it's quite interesting in my opinion to think back to what the developers might have been thinking, wihch questions they were trying to ask/answer when they came up with the sphere grid, the junction/license, or gambits.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
Makes me wonder whats going to be the future in the series? i do love a lot of the elements they bring to each volume and similarities. When you look at one of the characters all the previous versions come rushing back to their adventure. where is it going to take them? they have done medieval and futuristic, love and hate. happy and sad, friendship and mistrust... what do they have left?

its games like this, metal gear and various others that keeps my interest in gaming, but the same amounts of likeness can only go so far, we are being brough forward in technology but it has to be a major step forward to keep it going, a VR style scenario if you will where your totally emersed with the character, feel every emotion what they do and feel like your there playing them

Sorry if that was a little off the topic subject

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The only Final Fantasy games that I have enjoyed is FFX, FFX-2, FFTA2 and FF:CC.

FFX-2 has the best ATB system in the history of FF. You cannot deny this.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate turn based games. no matter how good the story is. (except for pokemon, almost cried when i was halfway through and save data corrupted with my lvl 50+ croconaw or something lol.)

i liked the crystal chronicles ones for the DS and thats pretty much it. I also Played crisis core but the fight system was also not good enough for me.

and also the tower defense like games.

D

Deleted User

I don't know that I actually considered FF-X as a true Turn-Based system, Pokemon too. Their ATB has some basis with speed of characters ~ What I mean, for example, is take the Pokemon example...If you have a kid-brother or sister, or if you don't take the game seriously by now you should have experienced scenarios where an opponent attacks you twice in a row (and I'm not talking about quick-attack).

Oh, and in respect of the OP; I'd appreciate it if future posters who dislike the franchise/series at least say why they dislike it. Quoting the OP, and saying "I don't like FF games", isn't exactly helping the thread; reason being, is that by asking which for title-reccomendations he's suggesting that he wanted to play some. If you're going to "dislike" the entire series that's fine, but perhaps you could be more specific and specify which titles (In your preference/tastes) you disliked & why so the OP can relate.

Okami Wolfen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't know.

I've played and beaten I through IX, and loved bits and parts of all of them. IX and VI are my favorite but I can see why people like VII. VIII was pretty boring at times, but had it's awesome moments. I really enjoyed the gameplay of V, because of the job system.

Jeff88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jan777 said:
I hate turn based games. no matter how good the story is. (except for pokemon, almost cried when i was halfway through and save data corrupted with my lvl 50+ croconaw or something lol.)

That seems like a big double standard for me. Pokemon is the ultimate turnbased game with non existent story (please note that nowhere in my post I said that Pokemon is a bad game, which it isn't).

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Gnargle said:
I've never understood it myself. I liked Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube cause it was real-time, but the rest seem to be just turn-based. (A cooldown timer qualifies as turn-based, thank you). That's pretty boring, IMO, it's not like the Paper Mario games where you can influence how powerful your attack is through button presses or whatever.
From what I've gathered, too, the stories all seem to be the same. Evil corporation, main character originally associated with Evil Corp., defects and takes down Evil Corp.
So, why do you like them? And, if I were to even consider playing one, which one?
The other Crystal Chronicles games aren't like that, and since we're talking about spinoffs, most aren't turn based.
As for the turn based entries, they're turn based but they're not your typical turn based games, if you set the battle speed to the maximum and set the game to active things can get pretty crazy.
Not all their stories are like that, in fact the only one that remotely comes close that is FFVII. You should play them and realize how differet they are, or at least read a full story summary.
I like them because they usually have a decent story which includes some kind of love sotry, on the main entries, and fun gameplay systems.
You should play the Crystal Chronicles series since all of them are action RPGs. Then play the games in an inverted order, from FFXIII to I. If you somehow get hooked on the job systems, play FFT, FFTA and FFTA2. If you feel like playing something fun and lighthearted play the Chocobo spinoffs. Also you could play some of them more recent PSP spinoffs which are pretty action-y.

QUOTE(prowler_ @ Jul 22 2010, 07:28 AM) The only Final Fantasy games that I have enjoyed is FFX, FFX-2, FFTA2 and FF:CC.

FFX-2 has the best ATB system in the history of FF. You cannot deny this.
Yes, you speak the truth
wub.gif
The only way it could be topped off would be by allowing you to place abilities wherever you want in the menu, like in FFIVDS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...