Why do you like Final Fantasy games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gnargle, Jul 21, 2010.

Jul 21, 2010
  1. Gnargle
    OP

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    I've never understood it myself. I liked Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube cause it was real-time, but the rest seem to be just turn-based. (A cooldown timer qualifies as turn-based, thank you). That's pretty boring, IMO, it's not like the Paper Mario games where you can influence how powerful your attack is through button presses or whatever.
    From what I've gathered, too, the stories all seem to be the same. Evil corporation, main character originally associated with Evil Corp., defects and takes down Evil Corp.
    So, why do you like them? And, if I were to even consider playing one, which one?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I don't play them often, but I like them because of the deep stories and that they have their own mythology in their world.

I guess the gameplay isn't too bad either.

3. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Typically I fell in love with Final Fantasy 9 as it was the first Final Fantasy that I played. Not only did the graphics blow my mind but the computer animation was simply stunning, the story alone was enough to keep me playing.

Paper Mario could be compared to Final Fantasy, if all your worried about is the turn based system then your missing something here. While it's true you can use more action based stuff during battle, Final Fantasy 9(again for ex) is the same as Paper Mario in terms of different based combat. It actually features a system close to the badge system from Paper Mario but what it lacks is the action based buttons. However top in magic, gear equipment that allows you to learn summons, summons themselves, kick ass magic, combat that requires more strategy and you have something here.

I personally enjoy both series, both have their ups and downs.

I'd like to mention though that only the recent games feature that kind of story that you described. The older games like Final Fantasy 9 and 8 were different and Final Fantasy 10's story was even more different from those older games. The only thing I hate about the recent games(that I'm sure you've noticed) is that the story plain out SUCKS. Final Fantasy 12's story was politics in a nut shell, Final Fantasy 13(never played it) was bland(from what I've heard) and it seems to me that they're trying to replicate Final Fantasy 7 which honestly had the most confusing, over rated, and honest to god lamest story out of ALL of the Final Fantasy games.

If I were to pick a Final Fantasy game for a person new to the series, I'd choose Final Fantasy 10. It's short though, 20-30 hours short.

*PLEASE NOTE* These are just my opinions.

4. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    I like the story, hate the gameplay. Inverted in Dissidia (my favourite FF game) where the gameplay is amazing while the story sucks.

5. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    I'm a sucker for RPGs.

6. XLarge

Member XLarge GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    I don't know, why do YOU like it?

7. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    story line is awesome, on the ps3, final fantasy 13 has really great graphics
    over all the games are pretty good

8. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    My love for the Final Fantasy line began with the original US version on NES.
    I really enjoy turn based battle. These newest offerings in the main FF line don't particularly interest me.
    However the Tactics games are right up my alley. It takes the turn-based system I love so well and puts it on a more three dimensional playing field.
    Double-Win

9. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Ultimately if you want to play one of the Final Fantasy's I'd reccomend FF X > FF VI > FF IV. (PS2 > SNES(PSX) > SNES(NDS). You could always go with the newer games, but then that brings into the question of getting a 360 or a PS3; which isn't really necessary if all you want to do is enjoy the series. Please don't peg me as a FF Fanboy, I'm not, I just think that they represent one of the strongest gaming legacies trilogies; I know a lot about them, but I haven't actually played through many of them, I can, however, attempt to explain why I think people tend to like this series ; ) One of the best things about FF I-XII I think, is that they're fairly easy to emulate on a strong laptop or mid-range desktop computer; so you don't have to waste time getting a console (Save-States are awesome too!), however, having a gamepad can really help the experience ; ).

Well, I like Final Fantasy games for various reasons. They're a good gameplay length, have great music, graphics (newer installments), but what really sets Final Fantasy as one of my favorite series ever is that their are some *really* great stories. Your Evil Corp assessment is a fair assessment of Final Fantasy VII, which frankly, is overrated. Still, it's a pretty good game, especially so for it's time! My two favorite final fantasy games at this point would have to be first; Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES), Final Fantasy X (PS2) and Final Fantasy IV(SNES/DS); all have awesome stories. VI doesn't really rely on a main-protagonist, but rather allows you to find a character among the party/choices that you best empathize with.

FF I / III / V >>>> Class System
    FF II >>> Character Archetypes / Abusive Skill-level up system (Vaguely Similar to FF VIII)
    Final Fantasy Tactics >>> Grid Based Strategy-RPG, Turn-based. First delved into "Strategy"
    Chrono Trigger is worth mentioning for the collaborative efforts, well, if you haven't played this one; get on it =P
    FF IV >>>> ATB (Active-Time-Battle) / Character turns based on speed-stat... /// NDS added a new system called the Augment system (Experimentation!) Great Story
    FF VI >>>>>> (Great Music By the way) Terra's Theme is remixed a lot, and it's extremely catchy! Awesome story that doesn't rely on a central protagonist (unlike IV or VII)
    FF VII >>>>>>>>> Music Capacity Expansion gave Uematsu more room to be complex (from the SNES to the PSX) / Graphics improved. (Materia System) / Magic & Abilities
    FF VIII >>>>>>>>> Music is great, "Eyes on Me" > Introduction sequence, graphics became more polished as Square got used to the PSX. >>> Junction Magic/Oddity System
    FF IX >>>>I don't know all that much about this one =( Seems like it has more of a central protagonist, Final PSX Final Fantasy; shows polish w/ Graphics & Music!
    FF X >>>>>>>>>>>>Final Fantasy's Arrival on the PS2... Incredible graphics, story and gameplay, PLENTY of sidequests, great voice acting >>> Sphere Grid / Ability level up system.
    FF XI and XIV >>>>>>> Online MMORPG's (inexperienced).
    FF XII > Gambit / AI System, Final PS2 Final Fantasy would expect it to be similar to IX in that respect.

Final Fantasy Musical Progression / Nobuo Uematsu ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqEnZ608Qlg (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=mZ102A...feature=related (Part 2)
    Final Fantasy VI ~ Terra's Theme / Intro ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRZL671Esk
    Final Fantasy X ~ To Zanarkand ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIp4tRIUJI
    Final Fantasy VIII ~ Eyes on Me ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ica1ZC_asgU

10. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I don't like the newer ones because of the battle system. The stories are ok. The older ones interest me more.

11. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Wait. I like Final Fantasy...?
    I think it's an average RPG.

12. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    You're my new daily Best Internet Friend.
    No bashing of any of the titles, whilst still describing them very adequately.

I'll complete your FFIX description though (Play it, it's good.)...
    FFIX has a very cool skill system. Items come with skills imbued in them, and as long as you equip the item, you can use that skill (either a spell, a buff,a command,etc.). However, every battle you gain AP, and once AP reaches a certain level, you learn the skills on that item permanently, even if you unequip it. So it's actually worth hunting down pieces of equipment. Sometimes the worst items in the game have the best skills on them...so you have to equip a broken sword for 500 battles just to permanently learn the best skill in the game, for example (this example is not accurate!).

I love how the Final Fantasy series likes to try new gameplay systems. II had the crazy stat grind system, III was the basis for V, IV had ATB, V had the full blown-out Class system, VI had a poopload of characters and decentralized story, VII had the really neat Materia system, VIII had the GF system, IX had the cool Skill Equip system, X had the Sphere Grid, XII had the Gambit and License Systems, XIII had the Paradigm and Crystarium systems.
    Can't wait to see what Versus brings to the table!

13. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    i started playing FF7 on PSX i got hooked instantly, storyline, gameplay and characters really develop and you get sucked in to it, thats why ive always like it and still will unless they change the format drastically for the worse

14. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I don't know, I really didn't like FF VII all that much, the story really just isn't that great; I found it really unnecessarily hyped up. Compared to FF VI (which I'm playing through right now) (my last save file got deleted when my hard-drive went and died), the characters seem kind of shallow. I mean, I keep all of the Final Fantasy games on my PC for ePSXe or PSXFin, but FF VII isn't one that I've really looked forward to playing all that much. Remarkably, at times, the game really seems very plot focused, whereas Final Fantasy VI and IV really do an awesome job of creating an evocative atmosphere with believable characters. For example, when you're playing as Cloud Strife, you're clearly the main protagonist; but it's very hard to think of his persona as anything but cliche' and archetypical. My biggest grip with FF VII is that it lacks personality in my opinion; it's a good game worth playing through at least once, but I still feel that FF X / VI and IV are the best within 1-12.

At the very least FF VII does deserve praise for saving-face in the RPG-genre (going against Dragon Quest games (etc) and succeeding brilliantly) at the Time Quite frankly, if you were to review FF VII subjectively based on criteria for now'a'day games I don't think it would get a perfect score. Personally, I think of it as around a B+ game at tops.

Overall, I really liked the character motif's in Final Fantasy VI much better than in Final Fantasy VI, plus all the characters are equally representable. There's a varying difference in the art styles because VI was created on the SNES and makes use of highly detailed palets whereas FF VII is the first real 3D title; very blocky and polygonal; however, that doesn't mean much. All in all, they're, at least, stylistcally very different games. As far as moments that mattered to me; I can't wait to get back to the ghostly choo-choo train in Final Fantasy VI; when I got to it on my first play through; I was like... "Really?!?!" breaking out into a small fit of laughter. Both Cefka (the FF VI villan) and Sephiroth have the ultimate-bad-guy thing down, but Sephiroth lacks the charismatic charm that cefka offers.

Blebleman, is that how Final Fantasy IX works? That's pretty cool, you can see how the progression of the Materia system goes (Equip Materia / get skills). It's also pretty much the EXACT same system as most of the Final Fantasy Tactics games, which is why they're so popular I'd imagine. The amount of combinations that you can create in all of the FFT games is ridiculous; though, I don't know that you could particularly and easily, at that, discover them on your own.

I forgot to mention the simplicity/complexity progression of the music; Final Fantasy IV (for example) versus the famous FF VII piece One Winged Angel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw4iddoRiM8 ~ FF IV ~ The Dreadful Fight (a quick youtube search). Musically, Final Fantasy from what I can tell is like a little tyke on a trampoline. In the earlier games the tyke only has to pounce a little bit (hardware restraints) whereas after a while that becomes old and the kid wants more things to happen. My very bad analogy is tanamount to adding various harmonies and melodies. One Winged Angel is the music that accompanies the final battle with Sephiroth; it's very dark and edgy; basically, it deviates a lot more than the more singular(maybe dual) melodies that accompany earlier FF game music. Plus, there may as well be different movements to One Winged Angel, (I'm listening to it again) and the illustrious opera music has started~.

15. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with turn-based games. Just look at chess - that's been popular for years.

16. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    Sephiroth is a pushover with a mommy complex. Kefka is really the ultimate bad-guy. He poisons a town JUST FOR FUN. Not to mention he's the only bad-guy in Videogame History to actually succeed at destroying the world.

And yes, thanks for reminding me! It really IS the base of the FFTA skill system!

17. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    I2aven's_Sage i do get what you mean, a lot of the series is very samey, the characters from each FF you can tell was based from a previous one just dressed differently and the combat system is always the same, but i do like that feature, some of it can cause the whole outcome to be extremely long winded and tiresome, thats why i always left it for a while and when i came back months later it was brand new again. i guess they feel there is only so much they can do without stiring up the pot and making the fans angry for change

One thing i do wish they would take on board is less random fights when your on the move and make levelling up and automatic option inc special abilities

18. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I've never even played a Final Fantasy game before

19. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I fell in love with the series because of the stories. "Good guy takes down villain" describes pretty much every game out there, so you can't criticize them for that.

But after being away for a few years on action/platformers I'm finding it very difficult to get back into turn-based RPGs. I agree that depending on what you're used to playing it can get a little tedious.

20. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    So far I've only played FF12 on DS and PS2. And all I can say is that I like them because it has a good story, nice graphics and it just somehow drags me into it.