Hardware Why do playstation 3's download so slow over wifi?

Tizm

JESSE, WE GOT TO COOK!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It really pisses me off. My ddwrt repeating router downloads faster, what gives? you'd think with the super slim they would of fixed it...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i remember something that the ps3 only supports single G or B network, not the dual G/B we usually have in devices that don't support newer protocols...
or you know, sony to save server costs limits the speed in a very low limit

Tizm

JESSE, WE GOT TO COOK!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i remember something that the ps3 only supports single G or B network, not the dual G/B we usually have in devices that don't support newer protocols...
or you know, sony to save server costs limits the speed in a very low limit
oh ok, oh well thanks for the "fun" fact of the day! :P

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
oh ok, oh well thanks for the "fun" fact of the day! :P
heh i don't recall if it was the wii or the ps3, but i really think it was the ps3 that had this bullshit of B or G single mode... yeah i remember the download on my console and my cousins was crazily slow... and it was a pain to have the whole system busy to download with no option to background download...

Reactions: Tizm

Tizm

JESSE, WE GOT TO COOK!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
heh i don't recall if it was the wii or the ps3, but i really think it was the ps3 that had this bullshit of B or G single mode... yeah i remember the download on my console and my cousins was crazily slow... and it was a pain to have the whole system busy to download with no option to background download...
Thats the truth!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of reasons
  1. Is a console from 2006, it has bad wifi, even the latest model Super slim (AKA The grill) Has 2.4GHZ B/G wifi which is very bad considering is a decade later to now dominant AC WIFI
  2. System and server purposely limited the use of is full access simply cause of "Sony" reasons.
  3. IS WIFI, is never gonna be better than Wired connections.
  4. Could be interference in your area?
  5. The second theory may only be speculation.
In the end, don't expect anything better unless you are using wired connections, even then don't expect it to be better than ps4 or wii u which actually has B/G/N wifi instead of just B/G and again, is from a decade ago. Also, i honestly think my second answer is important. Yes downloads are huge but actual access to the server which people would probably be doing a lot more is the online modes for the games, which don't require much for functional game play. So perhaps sony had reasons to limit is use.

(Of course again, i said is speculation not fact so if is wrong don't be mad) :ninja: What is fact is the wifi is in a console that is over a decade old and not up to current 5GHZ AC standards or the preceded 2.4GHZ N standard.

Reactions: Tizm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo