Why do people still watch TV?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for why people watch TV I find it's usually older people stuck in their ways.
There's certainly truth to that because most people who still watch Live/Cable TV are older people who are too used to it and can't live without it.

I've gotten used to live without using my TV and I'm okay with it, plus, saves me energy so I don't use as much.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
When i'm in the mood of going to watch something, i don't like to think about all my options, i want a surprise within the genre i like.
When i go to most options they give me all thew best options of video's in the world maybe, but i've got to choose and i don't like to.
When the options is in the stream provider, i find it to lack new contend. tried multiple of those, but it comes down to about 5 times it is great, then all the rest of the contend starts to feel like it's the same.
Tv gives me the simplicity, takes away boredom gives me just enough new content.
So simply put, more is less like it always have been.
Then there's one downsize on todays tv, and that all stations seem to copy each other, it could be even better as it was a few years ago.
Still even so it's less boring as to streaming.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Haven't watched telly in years, don't plan on doing so neither.
95% of the content is rubbish, 4% is news being shoved down your throat and the remaining 1% are reruns of shows aired years/decades ago.

Reactions: R3DRE111AVER

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I basically use it for my local news [in the morning]. Then later on, after gaming, doing house chores, running errands, I relax with either crime scene investigations [and try to solve it before they do, lol], or actually watch a movie. :)

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because they're old and they literally don't know better.
Pretty much this. Old people usually stick really hard to their views/habits.

I quit watching regular (as in free OTA) TV when I was 14yo, back in 1999, as we got cable then and it was so much better than regular TV. I literally pitied those I knew who didn't have access to cable, since regular TV is complete and absolute crap more than 95% of the time.

Even then, the only good cable channels we had over here were basically HBO for decent-to-good movies, some other channels, like Fox, USA, Warner etc. some specific TV series and Cartoons, and Cartoon Network/Fox Kids (Jetix) when it had good shows/Toonami over here. Cable also had (has) a lot of useless channels that we had to pay for.

Then when "Broadband" Internet came (1 Mbps was the RAGE back then in 2005, coming from 33.6 Kbps. And I used to download full 200MB anime episodes over that slow connection, over the whole week. Thank God for DivX ;-)/XviD too), I had no more reason to subject myself to TV anymore.

The only video content I watch now (mostly anime or a random movie) is via piracy/prime video, I get the news from the Internet, and my main hobby is gaming/programming, no need for TV at all.

That said, I get the appeal of having a very passive entertainment option when you're dead tired (or lazy), and that's what TV/radio are for.

Reactions: R3DRE111AVER

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This really reads as EoF material. I no longer have cable, but I miss being able to just turn to a channel and not having to worry about what's on. Sifting through an endless sea of TV shows and movies is actually worse for me than channel surfing. Nowadays, I just default to the same shows on any of the streaming services.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I watch Cartoon network on my Samsung 55" and play games on my pc all at the same time
I know it's a waste of energy, but i pay for it my self so...

But only the two days im up all night

And for someone who wonder why im staying up all night, i just like the peace and quiet at night
and no one bothering me

Last edited by UnderJinx,
  • Love
Reactions: bonkmaykr

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't watched broadcast tv in years, and I've never subscribed to any streaming services.

I torrent the majority of content I watch (although I do watch an unhealthy amount of YouTube). But I'm also still part of the dwindling collector movement, and am happy to support creators of the content I deem worthwhile by going to the cinema and purchasing dvd's or blurays.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a monitor in my room with a TV tuner converter box and an antenna. It costs me nothing but electricity a month. I use it for the sole purpose of background noise to help me sleep. It's like an automatic back ground noise machine.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
What is happening to this site or is it just me

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Haha

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only time I watch television is when eating dinner with my mom. I'm on the computer for the majority of my time. I have a dvr in my room, but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched something on it. I have sonarr setup for usenet, so my mom and I will watch stuff from streaming services or channels we don't have, on my nvidia shield.

Reactions: AncientBoi

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What is happening to this site or is it just me
just you, looks like some broken css didnt finish loading. ctrl + f5 see if that helps.

Shaun has made some changes to the theme and things went a little south which resulted in a little downtime.
It was resolved within 15 minutes orso, you didn't miss much luckily ;p

Reactions: UnderJinx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a frappy moment