Why do people still watch TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChiefReginod
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 7,201
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Likes Likes 7
TV has redeemed itself a lot to my eyes in the past few years. Not that it was going to be a difficult task to be better than YouTube:

- Ads make sense and they aren’t scams, unlike the “I got this iPhone off Amazon for free!” scams I see on YouTube all the time
- Ads come after a long time, unlike YouTube where they begin immediately when you click a video, no matter how short or long it is, and can come back two minutes later
- TV shows, whether for entertainment, documentaries or other stuff, they’re all made by professionals. They aren’t made by teens trying to exploit the algorithm by throwing garbage at you. Just because you’re so lonely that you find a random asshole reading a Wikipedia article out loud entertaining, or extending something that can be explained in 5 minutes into an hour long “documentary” doesn’t mean it’s worth something
- Celebrities’ gossip is still shit, but it’s still better than the vultures over YouTube that will make videos harassing random people the very moment an allegation comes up just to get a few dollars worth of ad revenue (see: ProJared)
- The only begging done in TV shows that I watch happens during the Telethon period, and that’s fine because it’s charity. For YouTube? Begging for likes, for subscribing, for buying merchandise that’s clearly a copyright violation and then begging to make their case go viral when they get C&D’d. Sometimes begging to attack other people too (see: GradeAunderA)
- Free movies
- Unless you’re a Nielsen member, you are NOT the product
- No internet required

There are other things I adore about current day’s TV. To me, it’s still a legit source of information and entertainment.
 
TV has redeemed itself a lot to my eyes in the past few years. Not that it was going to be a difficult task to be better than YouTube:

- Ads make sense and they aren’t scams, unlike the “I got this iPhone off Amazon for free!” scams I see on YouTube all the time
- Ads come after a long time, unlike YouTube where they begin immediately when you click a video, no matter how short or long it is, and can come back two minutes later
- TV shows, whether for entertainment, documentaries or other stuff, they’re all made by professionals. They aren’t made by teens trying to exploit the algorithm by throwing garbage at you. Just because you’re so lonely that you find a random asshole reading a Wikipedia article out loud entertaining, or extending something that can be explained in 5 minutes into an hour long “documentary” doesn’t mean it’s worth something
- Celebrities’ gossip is still shit, but it’s still better than the vultures over YouTube that will make videos harassing random people the very moment an allegation comes up just to get a few dollars worth of ad revenue (see: ProJared)
- The only begging done in TV shows that I watch happens during the Telethon period, and that’s fine because it’s charity. For YouTube? Begging for likes, for subscribing, for buying merchandise that’s clearly a copyright violation and then begging to make their case go viral when they get C&D’d. Sometimes begging to attack other people too (see: GradeAunderA)
- Free movies
- Unless you’re a Nielsen member, you are NOT the product
- No internet required

There are other things I adore about current day’s TV. To me, it’s still a legit source of information and entertainment.

Some fair points, to be honest. But the end result is the same: You're just sitting there watching other people do stuff.
 
I've got subscriptions for Prime, netflix, f1tv, Spotify and cable-tv (and leaching some others).
I watch/listen to them all. I also like radio: listening to random shit instead of things chosen for me because I like the Beastie Boys is rather nice. TV is perfect for news when I wake up. I also use a vpn server to download series from the bbc occasionally. In short: I like the randomness from tv and radio but I also love watching shit without advertisement and binging series. The only thing missing is a good source for porn on tv (but I don't watch porn obviously)...
 
I just meant that whether you're watching over the air TV, cable or streaming online, you're still just sitting there watching when you could be spending that time doing something yourself. But to each their own.
So nothing is worth doing unless done by yourself…? Even browsing the forums?
 
So nothing is worth doing unless done by yourself…? Even browsing the forums?

Browsing a forum is a kind of interaction, or it at least holds the potential for interaction. Watching shows or movies is passive. We all have our ways of relaxing, though, so it's not without its place. It just blows my mind that people give so much of their time to these things at the cost of their own creative potential.

I would be a hypocrite to say that I'm not guilty as well sometimes. But I try my best to put limits on it.
 
I watch it. but not normal tv. I may, or may not, B-) pirate all my fav shows, movies, and have them all on a NAS drive, so can watch on any device. Most important part is - Commercial Free! Reg tv is sooo annoying with the constant blah blah commercials.
 
Last edited by BigOnYa,
It always amazes me when I meet grown adults who still watch TV. When I was a kid, I watched all day every day because I didn't know any better, but I stopped in my 20s and I haven't really missed it. Whenever I'm exposed to it now, I'm only reminded why I stopped watching in the first place. Every time, it seems more and more vapid.

Even if you like sitting around watching stuff all day, why not just stream? What does TV have to offer that you can't find elsewhere now? Do you enjoy having no choice over content? Being force-fed billionaire TV magnates' political opinions ad nauseam? And the ads. My god, they're worse than ever.

Why do people still subject themselves to this absolute skullfuckery?
TV watchers could ask why you dick around with video games. Each to their own, doesn't affect me personally what people do so I leave them to it. Better things to occupy my head space with.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BigOnYa
I watch it. but not normal tv. I may, or may not, B-) pirate all my fav shows, movies, and have them all on a NAS drive, so can watch on any device. Most important part is - Commercial Free! Reg tv is sooo annoying with the constant blah blah commercials.

What do you mean Commercial Free TV. Did not Lucy do a Vitameatavegamin skit? :angry:


:rofl2::rofl2: It was sooo funny :rofl2::rofl2:
 
  • Like
Reactions: BigOnYa
I stand by my original post in page 1.

But I've noticed just now that the only thing I watch on TV is Law and Order and Chicago PD.
Sometimes might search for a chick-flick movie, or might watch when TNT or Warner does a Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter marathon, usually in Christmas.

Other than that, not really.

Wonder
images


Why
images


I Like
images


Chick-flick
images


Movies?
images


Hmmm :unsure:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Hayato213
I stand by my original post in page 1.

But I've noticed just now that the only thing I watch on TV is Law and Order and Chicago PD.
Sometimes might search for a chick-flick movie, or might watch when TNT or Warner does a Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter marathon, usually in Christmas.

Other than that, not really.

Wonder
images


Why
images


I Like
images


Chick-flick
images


Movies?
images


Hmmm :unsure:

Where's your pic of @godreborn ? Shame on you for not having one.

I do like Chicago Med and Fire. Law an Order [original series]
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Hayato213
I haven't watched TV in years and what little that I have seen of current shows and movies, they are not even worth pirating anymore. And why would I want to support people like Harvey Weinstein, Alec Baldwin or all the other garbage Hollywood types who are just like them?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News