Hacking Why can’t we download updates like the vita?

Trumpasaurus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On any lower firmware for the PS Vita, you can change the DNS to a custom setting, then click “software update” and it will automatically detect whether you are on a lower firmware setting than 3.60 and it will ask you to update to 3.60. The official release is currently up to 3.65. Henkaku allows the Vita to spoof to Sony that the device is on the higher firmware.

My question is: How is it that they were able to setup this custom DNS to detect and update to an older firmware? Why can’t we do this for the Wii U? Someone could host the 5.5.1 firmware and mirror what the Vita scene did. It’s baffling that Nintendo would manage to have better security than Sony in this respect.
It just seems ridiculous to have to search for a disc that has an update when the Vita scene created a super easy workaround.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You have to understand that sony and nintendo are separate companies and they set things up and do things differently. Thats the non-technical response that should have just been common sense.

Trumpasaurus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to understand that sony and nintendo are separate companies and they set things up and do things differently. Thats the non-technical response that should have just been common sense.
I think most of the focus was done on finding exploits/entry points. And since spoofing is possible, there really isn't a need for this, but it would be nice to have. It would certainly save people time and money (as some are even resorting to buying copies of games in order to install update via disc).
Did anyone look into the DNS thing?

This question isn't any worse than the dozens of threads asking "Can the Wii U be exploited by PDF file?" or "Crunchy Roll when!?"

I haven't seen a post addressing this specific thing.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The logic is sound, it can definitely be possible. It's just someone needs to host it.

However, if I'm not mistaken, each vita's firmware release is its own replacement firmware, while only some system titles get updated.

So for example, if you're on 4.1 going to 5.5.1, and another person is on 5.4.0 going to 5.5.1, the 2 people would get 2 separate downloaded system titles because of the firmware difference.

Sure, it can be solved I suppose, but it's something worth noting :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
On any lower firmware for the PS Vita, you can change the DNS to a custom setting, then click “software update” and it will automatically detect whether you are on a lower firmware setting than 3.60 and it will ask you to update to 3.60. The official release is currently up to 3.65. Henkaku allows the Vita to spoof to Sony that the device is on the higher firmware.

My question is: How is it that they were able to setup this custom DNS to detect and update to an older firmware? Why can’t we do this for the Wii U? Someone could host the 5.5.1 firmware and mirror what the Vita scene did. It’s baffling that Nintendo would manage to have better security than Sony in this respect.
It just seems ridiculous to have to search for a disc that has an update when the Vita scene created a super easy workaround.
I don't know how it works on the Vita, but at least on the 3DS most communication is encrypted and signed, and the Wii U is likely the same, so simply redirecting the servers wouldn't get you anywhere unless you had Nintendo's private key.
Redirecting the update servers has been done on the 3DS, but it's a more involved process than just changing the DNS and requires the console to already be hacked. You have to either remove the encryption (change the URLs to regular http) or add your own certificate as a trusted certificate.
Now I don't know for sure if the Wii U works that way but I would assume so.
I think most of the focus was done on finding exploits/entry points. And since spoofing is possible, there really isn't a need for this, but it would be nice to have. It would certainly save people time and money (as some are even resorting to buying copies of games in order to install update via disc).
Did anyone look into the DNS thing?

This question isn't any worse than the dozens of threads asking "Can the Wii U be exploited by PDF file?" or "Crunchy Roll when!?"

I haven't seen a post addressing this specific thing.
The main problem with Wii U is that iosuhax only works on 5.5.1 (and maybe 5.5.0?), there's no reason it couldn't be made to work on lower firmwares, but as it stands right now people on lower firmwares are limited in what they can do. Homebrew itself doesn't work on every firmware version either.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Madridi

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
The main problem with Wii U is that iosuhax only works on 5.5.1 (and maybe 5.5.0?), there's no reason it couldn't be made to work on lower firmwares, but as it stands right now people on lower firmwares are limited in what they can do. Homebrew itself doesn't work on every firmware version either.
yeah, it works basically on 5.5.X, and creating a new uhshax ROP chain is possible, but since dimok "left" the scene there isn't really someone who can/want to do it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1